Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pick up your trash!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pick up your trash!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-22, 02:52 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
BTW, the other advantage of carrying it with you is that nobody will mess with you. Who's dumb enough to antagonize somebody armed with a bag of fresh dog poop?
I can’t argue with that point. 😂

Regarding the other post, which I had not noticed: I’m betting that many of those bags were left by people who simply forgot to circle back and pick them up. That does support your suggestion – to just carry it the whole way – so that the bag definitely ends up in the trashcan. In my defense, I’ll note that I don’t think I’ve ever forgottento pick one up and dispose of it properly, usually within 15 or 20 minutes. In fact, on the few occasions on which I have forgotten to bring a bag — or I ended up needing two bags and only brought one – – I always make a mental note of the location, and immediately come back with the bag.

PS: I'm not too delicate to carry around a bag of dog ****. Shoot, the other morning, at 5am, I was pretty much covered in it, and so was my dog, since she was having gastrointestinal problems and had explosive diarrhea inside her crate. I knew she needed to go outside, so (in the dark), I reached in and scooped her up, hugging her to my bare torso, and then realized that she'd already had the accident -- and now we were both covered in it. I was cleaning that stuff up for a couple days, since it ended up everywhere. But I do prefer to drop the bag and pick it up later as it keeps my hands free. Sometimes I'm walking two dogs, and/or sometimes I am making or taking a call on my cell phone (through BT headphones) while walking dogs. It's just easier to manage without that extra bag to carry.

Last edited by Koyote; 08-26-22 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-26-22, 03:10 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I always walk my dog in a loop around our neighborhood. If she drops a deuce on the first half of the loop, I bag it and drop it, then pick it up on my way back. Saves me the trouble of carrying a bag of dog **** for several blocks. More broadly, think about it: if people weren't going to ultimately dispose of those bags properly, why would they have bagged it in the first place?

​​​​​​

As long as we're being frank: are your sensibilities really offended by a little sealed blue bag? That seems a bit delicate.
Is a beer can or wine bottle any worse than a bag of dog crap? cigarette butts or discarded face masks? I bet the same people who think dog **** bags are ok would be upset with me when I toss my empty beer cans along the trail....if they say anything I just say hey I am helping poor people out...you know they can collect the cans and turn them in for money......
Old 08-26-22, 03:27 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by jadmt
Is a beer can or wine bottle any worse than a bag of dog crap? cigarette butts or discarded face masks? I bet the same people who think dog **** bags are ok would be upset with me when I toss my empty beer cans along the trail....if they say anything I just say hey I am helping poor people out...you know they can collect the cans and turn them in for money......
The difference is that the discarded beer can or face mask is there for the long haul; my little blue bag is there for 15 minutes at the most.

This seems like a rather trivial concern.
Old 08-26-22, 03:34 PM
jadmt

The difference is that the discarded beer can or face mask is there for the long haul; my little blue bag is there for 15 minutes at the most.

yours maybe but I see some that never get picked up. Hey and when I throw a beer can down it gets picked up pretty quickly. I hardly ever see them for more than a day or two at most.
Old 08-26-22, 03:40 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts

Unfortunately, it’s not like here in Philly. Too many people drop their poop bags at the curb in front of houses, especially on trash collection day. Thing is, the trash collectors won’t pick them up. I believe their work rules allow them to ignore any bag that appears to contain feces of any type.

Good for you for being responsible.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-26-22, 03:42 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Discarding beer cans and bottles on the trail or roadside is just plain stupid and irresponsible.
Old 08-26-22, 03:49 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Discarding beer cans and bottles on the trail or roadside is just plain stupid and irresponsible.
yea I make sure I break the bottles first tho so they kind of just get all ground into sand.......and like I said I am helping the transients who collect cans for money...just doing my part....makes me feel good deep down inside knowing at least two people are getting enjoyment from my alcohol consumption..... maybe we could go for a ride sometime and I could show you...
Old 08-26-22, 04:18 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
I can’t argue with that point. 😂

Regarding the other post, which I had not noticed: I’m betting that many of those bags were left by people who simply forgot to circle back and pick them up. That does support your suggestion – to just carry it the whole way – so that the bag definitely ends up in the trashcan. In my defense, I’ll note that I don’t think I’ve ever forgottento pick one up and dispose of it properly, usually within 15 or 20 minutes. In fact, on the few occasions on which I have forgotten to bring a bag — or I ended up needing two bags and only brought one – – I always make a mental note of the location, and immediately come back with the bag.
Years ago I was walking our two dogs, and I had two bags. Each of them did their business. Then one had an addendum. I ended up finding a couple Magnolia Grandiflora leaves (big and stiff things) to shovel it up and convey it to the garbage can. Lesson learned. Always bring a roll.

PS: I'm not too delicate to carry around a bag of dog ****. Shoot, the other morning, at 5am, I was pretty much covered in it, and so was my dog, since she was having gastrointestinal problems and had explosive diarrhea inside her crate. I knew she needed to go outside, so (in the dark), I reached in and scooped her up, hugging her to my bare torso, and then realized that she'd already had the accident -- and now we were both covered in it. I was cleaning that stuff up for a couple days, since it ended up everywhere. But I do prefer to drop the bag and pick it up later as it keeps my hands free. Sometimes I'm walking two dogs, and/or sometimes I am making or taking a call on my cell phone (through BT headphones) while walking dogs. It's just easier to manage without that extra bag to carry.
Yikes! Hope the poor dear is feeling better!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-26-22, 05:40 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by genejockey
Yikes! Hope the poor dear is feeling better!
Thanks for the concern, much appreciated. It seems like a viral infection: one dog was sick for a week, so I got her some meds, and she is on the mend. Now the other dog has the same thing! I went out for a ride yesterday, and upon returning home I found her diarrhea all over the house. So now I've got two dogs on meds, but they both seem to be on the mend. When the carpet gets stained like this, I always say the same thing to my wife: "Stuff is cheap. Our dogs are priceless."
Old 08-26-22, 05:55 PM
jadmt

Thanks for the concern, much appreciated. It seems like a viral infection: one dog was sick for a week, so I got her some meds, and she is on the mend. Now the other dog has the same thing! I went out for a ride yesterday, and upon returning home I found her diarrhea all over the house. So now I've got two dogs on meds, but they both seem to be on the mend. When the carpet gets stained like this, I always say the same thing to my wife: "Stuff is cheap. Our dogs are priceless."
Yes they are. We just spent $3250 for acl surgery on our wonder dog. My buddy said I'm nuts but I'd spend $10k for this guy
Likes For jadmt:
Old 08-26-22, 06:16 PM
Koyote

Yes they are. We just spent $3250 for acl surgery on our wonder dog. My buddy said I'm nuts but I'd spend $10k for this guy
That hound is looking good! I hope the post-surgery recovery is going well.

I always joke (well, half-joke) that my wife will never ask for an estimate if one of our dogs needs expensive surgery; but if I needed something, she'd ask the doctor, "Well, what kind of quality of life will he have? Is it really worth it?"

Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-26-22, 07:57 PM
jadmt

That hound is looking good! I hope the post-surgery recovery is going well.

I always joke (well, half-joke) that my wife will never ask for an estimate if one of our dogs needs expensive surgery; but if I needed something, she'd ask the doctor, "Well, what kind of quality of life will he have? Is it really worth it?"

funny because that is same here. She would try and negotiate a cheaper surgery for me but for the cats and dog only the best lol.
Old 08-26-22, 10:35 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Isn’t that a hate crime?
Yes, it is because I hate litterbugs. Am I the crazy one
Old 08-26-22, 11:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
We had ACL on our Golden many years ago. It made a world of difference!

I can't tell you how much we spent last year on Rango, our Greyhound, who had a bout of pancreatitis. I think Mrs. GeneJockey is afraid to tell me. But emergency vets and ultrasounds and 3 or 4 days in vet hospital do not come cheap.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-27-22, 11:57 AM
Cyclcist11023131
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts

Stupid Screws