Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Slipping axle & horizontal dropouts

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-11, 08:35 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

I have a recurring problem with a slipping axle on my 1978 Trek 400. The wheelset and axle are new 130mm Dura Ace. I’ve used both Shimano Ultegra and Velo Orange quick release bolts. Both slip. The rear drop-out was professionally cold set to 130mm, using the correct Park tool to set the rear triangle.

The axle slips forward as I accelerate from a stop. Since I’m clipped-in, I fall each time. Not only is falling an issue, I’m concerned I’ll fall among vehicles that are within striking distance.

Any suggestions? I’m ready to buy a frame with vertical drop-outs.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 02-18-11 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-18-11, 08:45 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Are the Ultegra and V/O quick releases internal or external cam?

You want internal cam. External will be an issue.

Edit: I see the V/O at least are internal, so this may not be the issue.

Next I'm guessing the lock nuts on the new DA hubs are smooth - which are fine for and made to work with vertical drops. If so, you may want to try swapping out the locknuts.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Last edited by Ex Pres; 02-18-11 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-18-11, 08:46 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by Ex Pres
Are the Ultegra and V/O quick releases internal or external cam?

You want internal cam. External will be an issue.
Both are internal.
Old 02-18-11, 09:39 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Ex Pres

Next I'm guessing the lock nuts on the new DA hubs are smooth - which are fine for and made to work with vertical drops. If so, you may want to try swapping out the locknuts.
Hi & thank you for talking me through this.

I removed the wheel, the locknuts have four or five dozen radial grooves.

Can I just add a star washer from the hardware store?

Michael
Old 02-18-11, 09:40 AM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Are the QR aluminum? I hear they don't get as good a bite as steel, but I've never used.

Is axle to long, sticking beyond the dropouts?
Old 02-18-11, 09:43 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dbakl
Excellent question, but I doubt the OP has overlooked this. Ex Pres' suggestion about a locknut that will give more bite is a good one.
Old 02-18-11, 09:57 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by dbakl
I double checked this and the axle is not wider than the drop-outs. The quick-release is also grooved on both sides. I'm using plenty of tension when setting the quick release.
Old 02-18-11, 10:22 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Sounds like the lock nuts and/or QR bases aren't giving enough bite on the dropout to me too. Had a similar issue on my Serotta with a fairly recent made Campy Daytona hub. Had to really tighten down the QR, but haven't had any issues since. Seems like you're having a more serious version of the same basic problem but simply tightening down the QR isn't solving it. Maybe scuff the lock nuts mating surfaces with some rough sand paper? Or try to find some lock nuts with better bite.
Old 02-18-11, 10:46 AM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Try tightening the QR down a little more. I'm as big boy and i like to ride hard, and I always worry I'm going to break something when I tighten down my rear QR. I never have, which is good; anything less and the rear wheel moves on me.

Skewers are a lot cheaper than a busted collarbone.
Old 02-18-11, 11:01 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Captain Blight
Try tightening the QR down a little more. I'm as big boy and i like to ride hard, and I always worry I'm going to break something when I tighten down my rear QR. I never have, which is good; anything less and the rear wheel moves on me.

Skewers are a lot cheaper than a busted collarbone.
I'll do that. The V/O skewer actually broke at the cam end. It broke after 15 miles of riding, while pulling away from a stop light. Down I went. I had to walk home after that. I have a spare skewer and will bring it with.

Has anyone just added star washers? Anything wrong with that?

Today. I'll ride my modern CX bike. The C&V bike is my rain bike.
Old 02-18-11, 12:35 PM
GrayJay

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
I feel your pain, fell and broke a rib last year due to this same problem. I use older skewers with teeth, (not just grooves) to bite into the dropout material. Definitly make sure the dropout roughed up a bit and note that the texture of the outer axel locknut is responsible for providing 1/2 of the grip so make sure they also have an aggressive pattern too. I always need to tighten my skewer a bit more than I am comfortable with, on the ragged edge of stripping the threads on the right side locknut or breaking the skewer in order to get enough grip to keep the axel from slipping.
Old 02-18-11, 12:47 PM
triplebutted

Bikes: Lemond, Gios, Fuji, Trek, too many to write

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
This is really interesting and would love to know what the resolution is.
Old 02-18-11, 12:59 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
I've had the same problem with 2 of my bikes. Both had alum/aloy Qr's. I replaced them with steel Qr's from my parts box and have yet to have a problem. It's been 3 year on one bike and 1 1/2 on the other. Seems the light weight Qr. just don't have the bite I guess.
Old 02-18-11, 01:03 PM
20grit
Curmudgeon in Training

Bikes: 1974 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 2010 Cannondale Trail SL, 1988 Peugeot Nice, 1992ish Stumpjumper Comp,1990's Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I have the same problem with some Deore QR's on my Stumpjumper. I've not ridden it much recently but I'll be looking into some solutions as well.
Old 02-18-11, 01:47 PM
MetinUz

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
When OP says "professionally cold set", one assumes that the dropouts were also adjusted using the Campy or Park dropout adjustment tool. If the dropouts are not square, it may be hard to get enough tension on the skewer to keep the axle in place.
Old 02-18-11, 02:39 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by MetinUz
When OP says "professionally cold set", one assumes that the dropouts were also adjusted using the Campy or Park dropout adjustment tool. If the dropouts are not square, it may be hard to get enough tension on the skewer to keep the axle in place.
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
The rear drop-out was professionally cold set to 130mm, using the correct Park tool to set the rear triangle.
The rear triangle is square.
Old 02-18-11, 03:03 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
That's one side of the story.
Old 02-18-11, 03:16 PM
MetinUz

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
The rear triangle may be square, but dropouts also need to be square. I have seen shops cold set the frame, but not properly align the dropouts or the derailleur hanger. Each of these is a separate step, using different tools. Park makes tools for each of these three steps.
Old 02-18-11, 03:24 PM
Mike Mills

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is no way it should be slipping. If it is, you are not generating enough friction.

1. Are the dropout faces and all the lock nuts clean and dry (free from any/all lubricants)? If not, you may not be able to get enough friction to hold the axle in place. Often parts have preservatives/rust preventatives on them. Degrease them and then give it another try.

2. Is there loose paint on the drop outs interfering with a good bite?

If the QR spindles are aluminum, replace them with good quality (hardened) steel.
Old 02-18-11, 07:27 PM
DMNHCAGrandPrix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 23 Posts
[QUOTE=Has anyone just added star washers? Anything wrong with that?[/QUOTE]

I had the slipping axle problem on a 1988 Campy Chorus rear hub. It didn't matter how hard I tightened the quick release, I would get slow slippage if I stood on pedals or climbed steep hills. When I looked in greater detail, it turned out I was missing a good serrated friction surface on just one of the four contact points between quick release skewer, frame dropout and hub locknuts. (The previous owner had installed the drive side campy locknut in reverse, which made it easier to get to with a cone wrench. However reversing the locknut meant the serrated surface was facing in instead of out. The slipping problem went away as soon as I flipped the locknut and restored a good bite to the inner side of the rear frame dropout). It sounds like the serrations on your Dura Ace locknuts are already facing out towards the dropouts. However, adding a thin star washer may still increase the friction enough to solve the problem, and seems like a simple, cheap, worthwhile thing to try.
Old 02-19-11, 09:13 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by DMNHCAGrandPrix
I had the slipping axle problem on a 1988 Campy Chorus rear hub. It didn't matter how hard I tightened the quick release, I would get slow slippage if I stood on pedals or climbed steep hills. When I looked in greater detail, it turned out I was missing a good serrated friction surface on just one of the four contact points between quick release skewer, frame dropout and hub locknuts. (The previous owner had installed the drive side campy locknut in reverse, which made it easier to get to with a cone wrench. However reversing the locknut meant the serrated surface was facing in instead of out. The slipping problem went away as soon as I flipped the locknut and restored a good bite to the inner side of the rear frame dropout). It sounds like the serrations on your Dura Ace locknuts are already facing out towards the dropouts. However, adding a thin star washer may still increase the friction enough to solve the problem, and seems like a simple, cheap, worthwhile thing to try.
I'm going to add a small star washer this week. I'll try one between the drive side skewer nut and the drop-out first. The drive side gets all the torque and placing the washer on the outside of the drop-out will not change the position of the axle in any way.

While the Velo Orange skewer is steel, the modern Dura Ace hub is all alloy and was never engineered for horizontal drop-outs. I do think it's the limitation of alloy parts not biting into the drop-outs that is causing the problem as several posters suggested.

Michael
Old 02-19-11, 09:16 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
I do think it's the limitation of alloy parts not biting into the drop-outs that is causing the problem as several posters suggested.
I haven't read all this thread carefully so I apologize if this has been covered. But why do you have alloy in contact with the dropouts? There could be alloy spacers on the axle, but are not the outer screwed=on locking rings steel?
Old 02-19-11, 11:19 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
I had a similar problem with an old Fuji that I used to pull a cargo trailer. The rear wheel kept slipping (no adjustment screws on that el cheapo model) so I over tightened the skewer until it snapped. Replaced with some nice FSA jobbies that held up well but the wheel still slipped. Now, here's the real important point: while the axle would slide forward on the drive side, it would also slip to the rear on the non-drive side. Of course, this would cause the whole wheel to twist enough so that the tire would rub against the left side stays and stop me cold. Not fun when navigating a dangerous highway intersection, it goes without saying.

The solution came to me finally when I realized that the same claw adapter sold for the rear derailleur could be reversed to mount inside the left rear dropout, preventing the axle from being able to slide backwards on that side. One buck from bikepartsusa.com and now the wheel stays straight even under the heaviest loads.

Hope this helps...
Old 02-19-11, 11:22 AM
Mike Mills

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm going to add a small star washer this week. I'll try one between the drive side skewer nut and the drop-out first. The drive side gets all the torque and placing the washer on the outside of the drop-out will not change the position of the axle in any way.

While the Velo Orange skewer is steel, the modern Dura Ace hub is all alloy and was never engineered for horizontal drop-outs. I do think it's the limitation of alloy parts not biting into the drop-outs that is causing the problem as several posters suggested.

Michael
Michael,

Your argument rings hollow with me because it argues assumptions and conventional wisdom. Consider this, the fact is your axle is slipping and they were not intended to do so, furthermore, most do not slip. There is something wrong with your set up. Look further into that hypothesis. Find out what is wrong with your set up.

The proper solution will be dependant upon the cause. Adding a star washer is and should be entirely unnecessary. Something esle is wrong. Find out what it is.
Old 02-19-11, 11:26 AM
junkfoodjunkie
@$#!?&!!$

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like to use locking skewers on the rear wheel for this reason. It does not take but a few seconds more to get the wheel on and off.

Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.