Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tour Denial

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tour Denial

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-13, 03:13 PM
jetbike
Playing with the traffic

Bikes: 2009 Colnago Primavera, Campy Chorus 11 speed, 1986 Colnago Master, C-Record, 2008 Surly LHT, 1930's Malvern Star 3-speed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tour Denial

I just wanted to share my recent experience.

I've been going on 2-3 day mini-tours and S24O's with my family for years. In recent times have planned a big trip, riding the approx 1000kms from Sydney to Byron Bay over 11 or 12 days. After years of negotiating with my wife about 6 months ago she said yes. I'm riding on 11th January.

So I've clearly been in denial. Because of a change of job my usual 40km per say commute and 80-100km road-ride at the weekend has changed to 7km daily and no road ride at the weekend. As a result I've gained about 10kg!

Rode 28km to work yesterday and the first 10km nearly killed me. The last 17km were amazing. During that ride this venture evolved from folly to achievable. I have to train (a concept alien to me), but I'll get there.

I'm a psychotherapist by profession, so I am very interested in the unconscious processes that have contributed to this denial. Any other experiences to share?
Old 12-10-13, 03:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Boarding Denial? On the TSA No Fly List?
if unsure, get travel insurance , so the cost of your tickets won't be wasted

if they don't let you past the Gate, to get On. [to get home to Oz if you come Here.]

Having your passport pocket picked, and so not able to leave to go home
is another way to have your boarding pass not honored.

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-10-13 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-10-13, 04:32 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Bob- your best one yet!
Old 12-10-13, 06:22 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar.

-Thich Nhat Hanh
Old 12-11-13, 09:47 PM
jetbike
Playing with the traffic

Bikes: 2009 Colnago Primavera, Campy Chorus 11 speed, 1986 Colnago Master, C-Record, 2008 Surly LHT, 1930's Malvern Star 3-speed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, erm, no? Erm, what?
Old 12-11-13, 10:46 PM
Jim Kukula

Bikes: Thorn Nomad Mk2, 1996 Trek 520, Workcycles Transport, Brompton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am trying to get into touring. Physical training, figuring out routes, places to eat and sleep, equipment, etc., and of course fitting the time away into... everybody else's schedule, really. Work, family, etc.

My first little outing was just an overnight, in September. I gave my sweetheart maybe a week's notice. I head out at about 8AM. Couldn't have been but 9AM before I get a call on my cell phone, "Come home!" Her son is a sophomore in college, studying engineering. He's got questions in his class on differential equations. There is a big test in a few days. I must come home immediately so we can drive to campus and I can help him with his math.

I said "no, I am going to continue on my bike ride!" I rode about 40 miles... mostly no cell phone service out here in the mountains, but there is one town on my route with a grocery store and a restaurant and cell phone service. I hung around that town for a couple hours until her son was free and then we spent maybe 45 minutes on the phone going over math problems. He said OK, that does it. So I started back on my route, headed to the campground in the fading light. That's why I have a dynamo front hub! I got another phone call from home - he's still got questions! I said - he told me we covered the material he was worried about. That was about the end of cell phone service til the next day!

Probably two weeks before my sweetheart and I were on speaking terms again! Her son has a A so far in math! Final exams start Friday!

It's like Waldo! Find the denial(s) in *that* story!
Old 12-12-13, 01:17 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by jetbike
I'm a psychotherapist by profession, so I am very interested in the unconscious processes that have contributed to this denial. Any other experiences to share?
I'm not quite sure what you're referring to.

What denial?

The presumption that you're/we're in better shape than we really are?
Old 12-12-13, 10:54 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Fear...

...underlies your inability to train for an event for which you had planned and negotiated for months. Don't be afraid. GO FOR IT. Train with the remaining time that you have. Make sure that your bike is in solid mechanical condition. Kiss the cat and scratch the wife behind the ears and GO.

That was my first "official" piece of psychological advice. How did I do?
Old 12-12-13, 12:04 PM
Big Lew
Fraser Valley Dave

Bikes: devinci monaco (upgraded)

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
...underlies your inability to train for an event for which you had planned and negotiated for months. Don't be afraid. GO FOR IT. Train with the remaining time that you have. Make sure that your bike is in solid mechanical condition. Kiss the cat and scratch the wife behind the ears and GO.

That was my first "official" piece of psychological advice. How did I do?
Love it! I agree, even if you don't get much 'training' in before leaving, go anyway, just don't overdo it. Most of my '1000 mile' or more tours began with minimal training (maybe 2 weeks or so). Considering that I did very little riding during the rest of the year, it wasn't a big deal. As long as you don't overdo it you'll notice you will get stronger and it will become easier as you go along. I've found the biggest concern was a sore bum which training beforehand helps. That, and wearing quality padded riding shorts or pants without underwear while sitting on a properly fitted and adjusted seat.
Old 12-12-13, 12:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I would take deBoat on deNile.
Old 12-12-13, 01:47 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Lew
That, and wearing quality padded riding shorts or pants without underwear while sitting on a properly fitted and adjusted seat.
And just to clarify, don't be discouraged by this if you don't already use/own that gear. You don't have to spend a bunch of money on specialty stuff and ride with a biker diaper and go commando to be comfortable. Some decent fitting undies(synthetic boxer briefs are my favorite) and a decent seat are probably good enough. I ride in boxer briefs designed for athletic activity and regular shorts and I can do 60mi perfectly comfortably(never tried more). Same story for my touring partner. If you used to ride 80-100km on the weekend, you know what works for you. Just start getting in miles whenever you possibly can and go rock that trip!
Old 12-12-13, 02:58 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I'd be more worried about my sit bones than my legs or heart
Old 12-12-13, 11:09 PM
jetbike
Playing with the traffic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Lew
Love it! I agree, even if you don't get much 'training' in before leaving, go anyway, just don't overdo it. Most of my '1000 mile' or more tours began with minimal training (maybe 2 weeks or so). Considering that I did very little riding during the rest of the year, it wasn't a big deal. As long as you don't overdo it you'll notice you will get stronger and it will become easier as you go along. I've found the biggest concern was a sore bum which training beforehand helps. That, and wearing quality padded riding shorts or pants without underwear while sitting on a properly fitted and adjusted seat.
You rock.

Psychological advice is spot on.

I know I might've sounded like a riding novice, the irony is that I have a surly LHT with nice racks, North roads and Carradice panniers/saddle-bags. My 'training" is going very nicely and I'm confident I'll be ready. Rode 30km to work today and wil ride the 30 back tonight, doing this about three times per week.

I suppose I was a little surprised that after 6 years in the planning I am now on the verge of going on this ride and in many ways I am the least prepared I've been for many years.