Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Vehicle for camping and cycling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Vehicle for camping and cycling

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-16, 09:46 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoKrpan
Yes, I know. It's a crime that there's no affordable campers. The price of these old VWs proves there is a demand. I had a '66 VW Sundial camper. Bought it in '75, sold it in '81. Then I had a '74. Liked the '66 a whole lot more.
The VW demand is larger collectors-based and this drives the price up. Modern Class B RV versions (van conversions) are the Roadtrek & Sportsmobile, but both have asking prices that are similar (conceptually) to the teardrop trailers...excessive for what you get. You can easily drop $100K on a Roadtrek van...then look what $100K buys in a good quality slightly used Class C, or even Class A RV.

Most, or at least a, cost-effective very versatile option (4x4, tons of aftermarket mods including bike/kayak racks, last forever, few maintenance issues, decent mileage, very good resale......) .. used Toyota 4-Runner with a V6, towing a small trailer, or not. Small used campers (trailer or popup..popups are nice as they feel like a tent) can be had for a few thousand dollars...and sold for the same.
Old 05-28-16, 01:29 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Downside to a truck is that you'll be having people wanting to borrow it. We have had our new F-150 SuperCrew (XL trim, 2.7 EcoBoost, RWD) for less than two weeks and we've already had to help our eldest daughter move things to a mini-storage- and that put 226 miles on the odometer. She's already wanting to know if we'll go back later this year to help her move.

Back on topic- OP, you stated initially that you may end up towing a trailer. If this is still an option, then you'll be better off figuring out what kind of trailer and how much it weighs- not just empty, but loaded- then select a tow vehicle that can handle that by a good margin.
If you put a toneau cover on it like I did, it limits requests. Also when you travel, the bikes are locked up secure out of sight.
Old 05-28-16, 02:58 PM
gattm99
Rouleur

Bikes: ROAD MOUNTAIN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas and advice,

I thought it might help to make a list of requirements.

1. Wife's Daily driver, short drive to work and stores. No children to haul. She doesn't want to drive an oversized vehicle.

2. Decent gas mileage.

3. Enough room in back for us to sleep in with back seats taken out and air mattress installed.

4. Not be completely dorky.

Offroad, AWD and ground clearance aren't really concerns as we've never had those things in vehicles and never missed them.

"Lastly...if you blow off you're wife's desires-needs as frivolous..you'll find that soon you'll be doing the trips alone, not at all..or as a single guy."

Yes I sort of represented my wife's desires-needs as frivolous. She likes to camp and be outdoors, but has health issues that keep her from it, or at least that's her excuse. The two biggest problems are bad back and bad knees. She isn't real fond of sleeping on air mattresses, and she says it's hard to get up from the ground, but she thought an air mattress at bed level might work. I usually do a bike tour once a year and a few odd (and even) camping trips but she almost never goes.

I just did a 3 night bike tour and camped in a hammock with a tarp over my head, so I don't have many requirements.

She has asked me about camp cots before. I hadn't really thought about that, maybe that would work with some kind of air mattress on it?

This summer I'd like to take at least a week long camping trip and have her go with me. We started talking about campers but don't have the money to buy one, the space to keep it, or a vehicle that can pull it. NO TOWED CAMPERS!

I feel like VW vans are a lifestyle choice that I can't afford. NO VW VANS

I spent some time looking at Transit connects last night, I'm thinking that could be a strong choice, though not sure how my wife will like driving one to work.

My personal favorite choice is VW station wagon. maybe because I grew up with a celbrity station wagon? Not sure how easy it would be to take out seats and sleep in back.

I'm wanting to check out a Honda Element. That could be thing thing we need and be way cooler then transit connect.
Old 05-28-16, 03:00 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,366 Posts
Camping and Cycling...

It sounds like a touring bike to me
Or at least a bike & rack.
Old 05-28-16, 03:31 PM
gattm99
Rouleur

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Camping and Cycling...

It sounds like a touring bike to me
Or at least a bike & rack.
I've got that covered, but wife isn't interested in riding.
Old 05-28-16, 03:56 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,366 Posts
Originally Posted by gattm99
I've got that covered, but wife isn't interested in riding.
Old 05-28-16, 04:13 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
A Mopar minivan with two rows of Stow-n-Go seats sounds like the ticket- unless your wife considers it too large or dorky.
Old 05-28-16, 08:47 PM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
I had a GMC Suburban 2500, AWD with a 7.4 liter engine. It was smooth, comfortable, powerful, and with locking axles, didn't get stuck. It held 44 gallons of gasoline, and I could get from Miami to Tallahassee (1000km) on one tank of gas. I preferred it over a van because it drove and handled better, and there was room in the back for me and my two Huskies to sleep on long road trips. Bikes could go on the roof, or on a hitch rack. My neighbors loved it; they often borrowed it from me to go to Costco, Home Depot, or other places, in exchange for a tank of gas (usually not knowing how much gas it held).

I traded the Suburban for a Ford F-350 extra-cab 4x4 with a Powerstroke diesel. The Ford got 22 mpg, and had amazing power, but it was noisy, and had a very rough ride. My dogs didn't mind, I drove it from Miami to Tok, Alaska (now there is a drive), and we had a great time. I used a pop-up camper which had all the comforts I needed.
Old 05-28-16, 09:38 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Sprinter Van with a Motorhome conversion..

Mercedes Diesel drivetrain..
Just because it's a Mercedes Diesel doesn't automatically make it a good engine. That engine suffers from fatal issues after 100,000 miles and it has to do with the smog control systems. Nox sensors are failing that will cost at least $500 to fix, then the EGR valve will fail about the same time and it will cost only about $1,000 to fix, while all this is going on the SCR Cat converter will fail which will cost about $2,000. In a lot of cases the entire exhaust system clogs up and must be replaced at a cost of $6,000! The average cost to drive this MBZ diesel is 10 cents a mile vs 2 cents per mile for either the Dodge Ram Pro Master or the Ford Transit. Maintenance cost like a simple oil change will cost you $200 to $400 depending on the MBZ dealer but the Dodge and Ford will only cost $40 to $50; just the first 100,000 will cost a MBZ owner $1700 to $4000 vs the Dodge or the Ford that will cost $300 to $400.

Stay away from the MBZ diesels.
Old 05-28-16, 10:49 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3281 Post(s)
Liked 2,119 Times in 1,195 Posts
We camp for a week or more every year and as we got older have migrated to a larger stand-up-inside tent as well as a cot for my wife, same reasons, bad knees. I'm good with an air mattress.

The larger tent and the bulk of a cot is not really a big deal in overall scheme and I can fit all our gear in my '11 Forester with a 11 cu. ft. Thule roof box. Benefit is I can also get my bike on the Thule as well and it all comes off the roof when I don't need it, so don't find the need for a larger car.

In truth I'd love a camping van that we could sleep in as it is somewhat less stressful in bad weather, but that advantage of tent camping is you can leave setup at the campground and explore in the car. As well a camping van is pricy for something we use 2 weeks of the year.

For just biking I can fit a bike with F wheel attached laying down in the Forester, rear seats folded down. That's been a requisite of every vehicle I've owned for 25 years.

Last edited by Steve B.; 05-28-16 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-29-16, 08:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Local Newspaper gets 30+ MPG.. with such a rig.

Lots of Europe Tent Camps with whatever car they Own ..

maybe you can Get a Skoda when the Pro Bike Race Teams are sone with it.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-29-16 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-29-16, 08:43 AM
JGM411

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2 2014(i think) Giant Defy Advanced 2 2013 Trek 7.3, 1973 Schwinn Continental, 1967 AMF Hercules

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have owned 4 chrysler corp mini vans in the last 23 years, and my wife had one. she now drives a durango. I also have a first generation Ford Transit connect and have owned cargo vans.

thoughts....for what it is worth.

Cargo vans are big and roomy and they suck gas. they also are loud while driving down the road.

Ford transit, great maueverabilty and good gas mileage @25-28 mpg. Con's road noisy and plastic parts easily break.

Chrysler mini vans, Pro's: the stow and go seats are great, decent fuel economy in the newer models highway 27mpg, however city driving 16. combined I avg around 22-23mpg. Front wheel drive is appreciated during snow days. Quiet driving down the road. a more comfortable ride than truck based chassis vehicles. Since the vehicle is better insulated,night time sleeping inside will be quieter than a camper shell on a pickup. Also bikes fit easily inside.

downside, they have a certain image, i.e family hauler, soccer moms and senior citizen vehicle -- because the seats set up higher than a car seat, olde people like them because they don't have to bend down to get in. It's also easier for older people to get out of.
Old 05-29-16, 08:51 AM
gattm99
Rouleur

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JGM411
I have owned 4 chrysler corp mini vans in the last 23 years, and my wife had one. she now drives a durango. I also have a first generation Ford Transit connect and have owned cargo vans.

thoughts....for what it is worth.

Cargo vans are big and roomy and they suck gas. they also are loud while driving down the road.

Ford transit, great maueverabilty and good gas mileage @25-28 mpg. Con's road noisy and plastic parts easily break.

Chrysler mini vans, Pro's: the stow and go seats are great, decent fuel economy in the newer models highway 27mpg, however city driving 16. combined I avg around 22-23mpg. Front wheel drive is appreciated during snow days. Quiet driving down the road. a more comfortable ride than truck based chassis vehicles. Since the vehicle is better insulated,night time sleeping inside will be quieter than a camper shell on a pickup. Also bikes fit easily inside.

downside, they have a certain image, i.e family hauler, soccer moms and senior citizen vehicle -- because the seats set up higher than a car seat, olde people like them because they don't have to bend down to get in. It's also easier for older people to get out of.
Thanks for the advice, I hate to admit it but the Grand Caravan is top on my list right now. A minivan... Oh man.

In a related funny note, my friends with the VW came by last night. It took about 5 minutes for them to get it out of the driveway thanks to about ten attempts to keep it running long enough to get moving. Upside they said was a comfortable night in the driveway if they had to stay. LOL
Old 05-29-16, 08:57 AM
JGM411

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2 2014(i think) Giant Defy Advanced 2 2013 Trek 7.3, 1973 Schwinn Continental, 1967 AMF Hercules

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gattm99
Thanks for the advice, I hate to admit it but the Grand Caravan is top on my list right now. A minivan... Oh man.

In a related funny note, my friends with the VW came by last night. It took about 5 minutes for them to get it out of the driveway thanks to about ten attempts to keep it running long enough to get moving. Upside they said was a comfortable night in the driveway if they had to stay. LOL
I just noticed where you live. good to see another fellow southern Illinoisian.
Old 05-29-16, 12:31 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,529 Times in 1,857 Posts
I see a lot of others have had success with a Chrysler Corp minivan as well. Add to it a cheap, big, pop-up tent and a cot and a couple folding chairs and you live in luxury.
Old 05-29-16, 02:26 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
if only these weren't an april fools joke a few years ago: This Teeny Camper for a Mini Cooper Started as an April Fools? Joke | WIRED
Old 05-29-16, 02:28 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
This is an REI Kingdom Cot 3 that I looked at at REI that is very, very comfortable (at least it was laying on it for 20 minutes):
https://www.rei.com/product/892837/rei-kingdom-cot-3

I don't know your sleeping arrangements at home, but one big annoyance with sleeping in a minivan with a 2nd person is that you are right next to each other. When I was younger and camping with my dad I'd put my head at the opposite end of the vehicle compared to him or we'd be practically breathing on each other - there's only so much space.

My dad has also rented a camper before. If you're only going once a year, that's something you should probably consider - the cost of renting was still much lower than the reduced fuel economy or buying a larger less fuel efficient vehicle.
Old 05-29-16, 05:33 PM
bransom

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Until some dude t-boned my wife a couple months ago, we were happy Honda Odyssey owners. Drop the seats, put the kayaks on the roof, the bikes on a hitch rack, and fill up the inside. Absolutely great vehicle. It was a 2007 and nothing ever went wrong with it. Nothing.

We bought a place in northern Michigan last year and so now need all wheel drive. Given that, we replaced the Odyssey with a Subaru Outback. Had we not needed the all wheel drive now, I probably would have bought another Odyssey even though we're past the age of hailing kids around.
Old 05-29-16, 06:26 PM
crashmo
Shaven Sasquatch

Bikes: Salsa Colossal

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just went through this very quest. After having owned lots and lots of different vehicles, I've found the used Acura MDX (got a 2006 with reasonably low miles for $10k) to be a great mix of everything you're looking for. Plus, it's comfortable as anything.

Also, wife has a 2010 Odyssey. That thing is legit too.
Old 05-30-16, 02:36 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Get a pickup. A minivan will suck the testosterone right out of you.

Get a smaller pickup if a half-ton is still too big. An older Ranger (or wait 2 years for the new model), Colorado, Frontier, or Tacoma.
Before we got a trailer, we had a truck bed tent. Awesome for staying off the ground.

I've got a 2000 F150, about 250K miles and still running strong. It's our 2nd vehicle, used when the weather's too bad for bike commuting and for camping trips. (Or when my daughter needs to move stuff).
Old 05-30-16, 03:31 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Just food for thought.

The 10 Coolest Adventure Rigs | Outside Online

Not real suggestions. Some are pretty rediculous but nice for getting ideas of what can be done. There are some pop-up trucks in the background on vehicle number 3. The Subaru is about the most realistic.
Old 05-30-16, 10:34 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
How about a regular size van that you can customize yourself? You could install fold down beds on the sides and still be able to keep your bikes inside the van when travelling. An extended van might be even better as you'd probably have room for beds lengthwise and the bikes crosswise with the beds folded down for sleeping on.

Cheers
Old 05-31-16, 05:01 AM
highrpm

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a full size Ford Econoline passenger van. Man is that thing awesome!

I have three kids. I've taken that van camping all over the country. I haul dirt bikes and bicycles in it. I've slept in it a bunch of times.

My van has the v6 engine. It's not fast, but I get 17mpg regularly. Not much worse than a minivan, really.
Old 05-31-16, 05:34 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Works for us ...

Rowan has built a platform in the back so that we can tuck luggage underneath and sleep on top, and we have done exactly that a few times.
What is it? I don't think it's common or even available in the USA.
Old 05-31-16, 06:17 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 507 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Sprinter Van with a Motorhome conversion..

Mercedes Diesel drivetrain..
For travel, yes, my friend in Colorado has one and has been all over the USA in it. But it's very specialized.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.