Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Making a 49cm frame fit?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Making a 49cm frame fit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-18, 08:50 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Making a 49cm frame fit?

Hi,

I currently have a 54cm Fuji 2009 Touring geo chart is here https://archive.fujibikes.com/2009/Fuji/touring3

I found a Fuji 2013 touring in immaculate condition at a thrift store and its cheap ... buts its in 49cm see https://archive.fujibikes.com/2013/Fuji/touring6

I like the 2013 vs my 2009 as besides been immaculate it has bar end shifters vs STIs and newer groupset.

Any suggestions on how to get it to fit me? The ETT is about the same as I posted earlier.

Thanks
Old 05-27-18, 09:26 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
The two basic things you can do is buy a longer stem and/or move the seat back, possibly with an offset seat post if needed. As you move those two contact points farther apart your riding stance will drop so you should be aware of that, perhaps needing a more acute angle in the stem to compensate. If you already have the bike, the longer stem is a pretty cheap first step to see what's what. You could also experiment with some different bars which move the hand positions back, but at some point, if it doesn't fit it doesn't fit.

Sometimes discussion about frame sizing and fit can get a little crazy as if most people can tell the difference between a cm or two and not recognizing that human bodies have varying torso and leg lengths for any given height. I think it's more important to just use the numbers as a rough guide and actually see if a bike fits. People also manage to ride a lot of varying positions too. Tri riders have seats forward, road bikes tend to currently be on the small size and positions range from hunched over to upright. I flip flop with no problem between my commuter, gravel and road bike which all have different geometries and fit.
Old 05-27-18, 09:46 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Looks like the 2013 has a threadless stem from the photo. Thus, that is an easy change. I bought a new road bike last month. I got a great deal on it even though it has a much more aggressive posture than I like, otherwise I would have passed it up. But with a 35 degree, 90 mm stem, it now fits pretty good.

Even if you can't make if fit well, if you like the components and the price is right, go for it for the parts value. Looks like the newer one has slightly lower gearing, but probably not enough lower for that to be a primary reason to buy. But if you want the other shifters, that is a factor too.
Old 05-27-18, 12:11 PM
antokelly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you won't it's going to be way to small for you sell if if you bought it don't buy it if you havent already.
Old 05-27-18, 01:53 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
Hi...
Based on linked tables, there's 9mm difference in ETT and 20mm in HT length, everything else same.

To match present setup, you'd need to install 1cm longer stem and 2cm headset spacer (provided you have excess steerer tube), or a stem which provides an additional 1cm of extension and 2cm rise.

Last edited by seeker333; 05-27-18 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-27-18, 01:56 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by antokelly
you won't it's going to be way to small for you sell if if you bought it don't buy it if you havent already.
Curious if you've met the OP in real life to be so sure? For all we know the 54 isn't a correct fit for him to start with.

If you hold your hand up and measure 5cm with your fingers it's just less than 2 inches. That's the difference between the seat tube height of a 49 and 54cm frame. Depending on how high the rider puts their seat in relation to the bars, how long the seat post is, the angle of the TT, length of crank arms etc... that may make a difference - or not.

As it is, seeing as it's cheap and the OP wants the components, he could buy the bike even if it didn't eventually fit, swap all the components onto his current ride and probably still sell the other bike at a profit.

And along the way see if the second bike actually fits.
Old 05-27-18, 02:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Buy it, move the stuff you like to your bike that fits, and sell the other bike.
you then have the stuff you like on a frame that fits
Old 05-27-18, 02:56 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Would you buy a pair of shoes that don't fit because they are "cheap"?
Same, same.

-Bandera
Old 05-27-18, 03:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
swap the components from the 49 to your 54, put the others on the 49, and sell it.

a quill to threadless adapter can let you use new stems..,

and is a benefit to packing up your bike in a box, to go somewhere tour worthy.. across the globe.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-27-18 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-27-18, 07:29 PM
Happy Feet

nvm...

Last edited by Happy Feet; 05-27-18 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-29-18, 07:44 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Any suggestions on how to get it to fit me? The ETT is about the same as I posted earlier.
As others have said, if the 54 fits you, buy the 49, swap parts, and sell the 49. It'll be more desirable to a larger population with the STIs anyhow.
Old 05-29-18, 08:31 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks but ...

Originally Posted by jefnvk
As others have said, if the 54 fits you, buy the 49, swap parts, and sell the 49. It'll be more desirable to a larger population with the STIs anyhow.
But then how would I sell the the 49cm touring bike. I would list it as a nearly new 2013 Fuji Touring with well used 2009 components? As we all know touring riders are pretty picky and I would be a bit dubious about buying such a Frankenstien bike.

Also swapping the parts is no small amount of effort. Also, I'm not even sure it would work. I'm guessing the 49cm cable lengths will be too small for the 54cm frameset and the RD hanger looks a bit different as well (2009 has road groupo (4500 Tiagra) and 2013 has MTB groupo (Deore).

These Fuji framesets as I wrote earlier are just weird. 5.5cm more seat tube but only 1cm more ETT and 2cm more HT?

It's as though they assume that people on the larger frames will have longer legs but just as short arms, kind of like a T-Rex!
Old 05-29-18, 09:30 AM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I didn't see anyone actually ask the question, what are u using the bike for? Daily rides, commuting, touring, what? If you have to walk away from the correct size bike for you (I also am a 49cm on a road bike), better to go smaller than larger. However, 2 inches is substantial. Gotta watch out for what it may do to the knees. Aside from that, if you like your current bike and just have one or two issues, then spend the money to change put the components. If you don't justify wasting that money at a conventional bike shop and you have a co-op in your area, go use the shop at a fraction of the cost. Either way, you already know your bike and other issues won't come up since it's a new bike to you.
Old 05-29-18, 09:53 AM
Happy Feet

My comments in bold

But then how would I sell the the 49cm touring bike. I would list it as a nearly new 2013 Fuji Touring with well used 2009 components? As we all know touring riders are pretty picky and I would be a bit dubious about buying such a Frankenstien bike.

A. You said you could get it cheap at a thrift shop. B. You said you want the components, which probably covers the cost of the bike. C. You list the left over bike on CL as is. Probably you could sell it for the cheap price you paid initially or you at least got the components cheap.

Also swapping the parts is no small amount of effort. Also, I'm not even sure it would work. I'm guessing the 49cm cable lengths will be too small for the 54cm frameset and the RD hanger looks a bit different as well (2009 has road groupo (4500 Tiagra) and 2013 has MTB groupo (Deore).

Replace the cables with new ones when you rebuild. Almost everyone I know does that when rebuilding a bike. They cost like $1 each. Keep the cable guides on the bikes they came with. It's really not that complicated. But.. point taken: If this sort of thing is confusing perhaps a retro fit isn't for you.

These Fuji framesets as I wrote earlier are just weird. 5.5cm more seat tube but only 1cm more ETT and 2cm more HT?

It's as though they assume that people on the larger frames will have longer legs but just as short arms, kind of like a T-Rex!
What we don't know is how much seat post your current bike has exposed or how well it really fits, hence the advice to actually sit on the bike rather than dismiss it out of hand. The seat post may be slammed or it may have 10 inches exposed with plenty of wiggle room for a different frame. dunno.

In previous posts I described how to make the frame fit with minor adjustments or swapping parts out if it's within ball park range of fitting. You said you like the components and the bike is thrift store cheap so some (myself included) also suggested buying it for the parts you want. Flippers, backyard mechanics and Coop members do this stuff all the time. It seems pretty straight forward from this end and only depends on your comfort in doing some work to get what you want. No one here can gauge that for you.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 05-29-18 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-29-18, 09:54 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I don't know what the actual costs involved are, but I'd just sell it as a commuter for a fair price for what is on it. Don't hide it or deceive people, but believe it or not, most people aren't that scrupulous in knowing what components came on which bike for that model year or really care.
Old 06-05-18, 12:57 PM
antokelly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Curious if you've met the OP in real life to be so sure? For all we know the 54 isn't a correct fit for him to start with.

If you hold your hand up and measure 5cm with your fingers it's just less than 2 inches. That's the difference between the seat tube height of a 49 and 54cm frame. Depending on how high the rider puts their seat in relation to the bars, how long the seat post is, the angle of the TT, length of crank arms etc... that may make a difference - or not.

As it is, seeing as it's cheap and the OP wants the components, he could buy the bike even if it didn't eventually fit, swap all the components onto his current ride and probably still sell the other bike at a profit.

And along the way see if the second bike actually fits.
true enough the 54 could be way to big then again the 49 could be way to small i'm guessing Small he will knacker his back been there .but your right buy the bike strip it down sell the frame can't loose as long as he gets a buyer.