Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Multiple Myeloma Anyone?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Multiple Myeloma Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-14, 05:09 AM
dpdemos

Bikes: '89 Waterford Paramount, Masi, Gios, Bottecchia, Bianchi, Jamis Aurora, assorted others.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On Feb. 20th, I had my own stem cells inserted back into my bloodstream. My procedure was conducted at the Bone Marrow Transplant unit of Northside Hospital in Atlanta, Ga. I'm now about 56 days out from the transplant. I FEEL GREAT!

My transplant Dr. gave me permission to start riding my bike again, so I am doing our subdivision several times a week. My strength is growing ... fatigue and dizzyness were side effects of the transplant.

The bike has been one of my motivaters. I love riding and working on bikes, and am appreciative that there is an activity that gives me good exercise, fresh air, and hope for my future. One goal I have is to ride the Icefield Parkway with my son, and any other family members who can go.

Thanks to you forum members who have encouraged me. The support really helps.
Old 04-17-14, 05:33 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Great news on the transplant working so far, hopefully you will remain in remission and the miles will help you get and feel better.

Bill
Old 04-17-14, 08:56 AM
Popeyecahn
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to hear that you are feeling better and riding again. Here's to many miles ahead!
Old 04-17-14, 09:27 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Terrific news! I think MM is fast becoming one of those diseases that can be well managed. My friend's wife is also doing great ... they're winging their way to Hawaii to celebrate.

Old 04-17-14, 09:30 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by dpdemos
I appreciate all the encouragement. I shall ask my Dr. today when he advises getting back on the bike. It means a great deal to have support.
"Improvements made to treatment over the last decade has meant that survival rates in myeloma are increasing at the fastest rate among all cancer types in the UK"

Quotation taken from the UK Myeloma web site.

Good luck for the future and hope you're fit enough for cycling soon.
Old 06-16-14, 01:21 PM
Gramercy

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I emailed the 5 boro bike tour because they had a group riding for Multplie Myeloma. My mother passed away a few months ago from the disease - and I want to wear a jersey with any sort of design/sponsorship relating to the disease. I have a few t-shirts from a walk I did last year but am not aware of any place to get a jersey.
Old 06-16-14, 11:36 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
Well I am very happy to hear your treatment is helping and you are starting to ride again. I am fairly new to the forums and am reading this thread for the first time. Actually I am new to MM too, which is to say I only heard of it last weekend when I met Bob Stidwell. Bob is a retired guy who rides his bike to various locations in WA to raise awareness (and funds) for MM. Forgive me for posting this same info in two threads but I thought it belonged here. https://tinyurl.com/MMRF-2013-Bob

Last edited by Insidious C.; 06-16-14 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-26-15, 05:29 AM
dpdemos

Bikes: '89 Waterford Paramount, Masi, Gios, Bottecchia, Bianchi, Jamis Aurora, assorted others.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE - I am 13 months post stem cell transplant. There were no detectable myeloma cells in my bone marrow biopsy, and my other levels were all good. Praise the Lord. I am grateful.

At 66 now, I still don't have the energy I should, but being able to ride again is still a big motivation. I go to the gym (er, about once a week) and ride a recumbent machine to build legs. Since I still work full-time, it's generally all I can do to get through the day. I am especially excited since I found an '89 Waterford Paramount to fit me. Campy and a triple for the Georgia hills and I will be ready to resume.

Thank you to all who have been an encouragement. When they mention quality of life, I think of being able to ride. That's a big one for me.
Old 03-26-15, 05:43 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
What a great update, hopefully this is the first of many more of these reports from you. The new Waterford sounds like a nice way to ride, to me. Pictures of course are mandatory.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-26-15, 06:54 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Prayers are with you, for continued success.
Old 03-26-15, 09:42 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by rae
I don't, but I hope that your friend has good luck with his treatment. I am sure that you have already seen that there are lots of research trials going on.
A BIG+1 from me!

Best regards
Old 03-26-15, 11:35 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Great Update!
Old 03-28-15, 07:37 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dpdemos
UPDATE - I am 13 months post stem cell transplant. There were no detectable myeloma cells in my bone marrow biopsy, and my other levels were all good. Praise the Lord. I am grateful.

At 66 now, I still don't have the energy I should, but being able to ride again is still a big motivation. I go to the gym (er, about once a week) and ride a recumbent machine to build legs. Since I still work full-time, it's generally all I can do to get through the day. I am especially excited since I found an '89 Waterford Paramount to fit me. Campy and a triple for the Georgia hills and I will be ready to resume.

Thank you to all who have been an encouragement. When they mention quality of life, I think of being able to ride. That's a big one for me.
Our good friend and LBS owner has MM; had stem cell treatment last year and is riding again. He tires easily but rides nearly every day, with a long (40-60 miles) ride every Sunday.

I hope your outcome is at least that good, if not better.
Old 02-13-17, 01:38 AM
dpdemos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am approaching my 3 year anniversary of my stem cell transplant. So far, so good. After 4 joint replacements and the MM, I feel I'm supporting the medical industry single handed.

Starting to ride again around the neighborhood and hope to do an overnight trip to a nearby state campground with my grandsons next week. I'm grateful to God for the opportunity to keep living ... I really enjoy riding ... it's one of the highpoints of my life. I am grateful for the kind and encouraging comments from many of you. You find some great individuals on bikes.