Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lighter Weight Road Shoes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-20, 03:23 PM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts

My current road shoes are Shimano , purchased 17 years ago - they feel heavy and with advances in materials are there any good quality light weight models on the market currently that anyone would recommend ? thanks in advance for your thoughts .
Old 03-05-20, 03:35 PM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
What is your budget?

I'd be willing to bet anything new will be lighter and probably stiffer than your current shoes. Assuming the shoes you are looking at fit you well, you can't go wrong with any of the big names. There will be bells and whistles with different brands and models, so take that into consideration. Sidi are my personal preference but there are lots of good brands out there.
Old 03-05-20, 03:45 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-...=237037-157750

So light they even impressed Adam Hansen, famed pro rider/legendary weight weenie who makes his own line of custom lightweight cf shoes.

Expensive, but if you amortize the cost over anything close to how many years you got out of your old shoes, then not so bad?
Old 03-05-20, 08:52 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
These have been good. Empire SLX- now on closeout various place limited sizes. 300g lighter than Sidis.

They started a trend- there are many choices of light shoes now.

Old 03-05-20, 11:22 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
You really should take better care of your gear.
Old 03-06-20, 03:37 PM
blinky

Thanks everyone for the responses - 17 years ago the Shimano shoes were $150 and I think the pedals cost the same - between Giro, Sidi, & Specialized it looks like the Sidi's are the heaviest and Specialized the lightest , the cost seems to be no more than $500 for the Specialized or Giro which is fine for my budget and the BOA tie up system seems to be the norm currently - I'll put up a separate post for some thoughts on a pedal/cleat combo that provides easier and quicker engagement - right now I have Look cleats with the associated pedals and I have to press down heavily to achieve connection .
Old 03-06-20, 03:47 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by blinky
Thanks everyone for the responses - 17 years ago the Shimano shoes were $150 and I think the pedals cost the same - between Giro, Sidi, & Specialized it looks like the Sidi's are the heaviest and Specialized the lightest , the cost seems to be no more than $500 for the Specialized or Giro which is fine for my budget and the BOA tie up system seems to be the norm currently - I'll put up a separate post for some thoughts on a pedal/cleat combo that provides easier and quicker engagement - right now I have Look cleats with the associated pedals and I have to press down heavily to achieve connection .
You can get some of last year's Giro Factor Techlace shoes now on Steepandcheap.com for about $140.. great price. No need if you don't want to, to spend $500 on some lightweight shoes
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 03-06-20, 04:05 PM
blinky

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
You can get some of last year's Giro Factor Techlace shoes now on Steepandcheap.com for about $140.. great price. No need if you don't want to, to spend $500 on some lightweight shoes
Thanks Sy !!
Old 03-06-20, 06:46 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Specialized and Giro are on the complete opposite ends of the fit spectrum...Giros are extremely narrow, while Specialized are much wider, especially in the toe box. So, your choice will come down to which ones fit better.

But, I have a pair of S-Works 7 are they are a fantastic shoe. If they fit, and you don't mind spending the money, I highly recommend them.
Old 03-06-20, 08:16 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by melikebikey35
Specialized and Giro are on the complete opposite ends of the fit spectrum...Giros are extremely narrow, while Specialized are much wider, especially in the toe box. So, your choice will come down to which ones fit better.

But, I have a pair of S-Works 7 are they are a fantastic shoe. If they fit, and you don't mind spending the money, I highly recommend them.

Not my experience. I think of Giro as middle of the road fit, and the Specialized shoes that I had were possibly more narrow than Giro,

with a really cramped toe area- 'tho I think that has been redesigned.
Old 03-07-20, 04:27 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Good luck with shoes, just as personal as saddles.

I’ve been on Giro Empire SLX for a few years. Buying a pair ever year to stock up. Love these ******g shoes.

Try a bunch on at the local, you’ll find what you like.
Old 03-08-20, 08:04 AM
Lrdchaos

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
I just picked up a set of S-works 7s with the dual boa system. They seem to be extremely comfortable and light. I’m happy with them at this time.
Old 03-08-20, 08:40 AM
travelerman

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Second the Giro Techlaces... I picked up a pair half off at the end of last year, and they are the lightest shoes I have ever worn. I go with Giro, because - with my longer toes - some of the other brands do not allow for a proper placement of the cleat to place the balls of my feet over the spindles.
Old 03-08-20, 08:52 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Fizik Vento Powerstrap 205g per shoe @ 42.5 size.
Old 03-08-20, 05:46 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Lrdchaos
I just picked up a set of S-works 7s with the dual boa system. They seem to be extremely comfortable and light. I’m happy with them at this time.
I just picked up the same shoe and they are light. They are also spendy. I would never spend that kind of money on a walking shoe but for some reason, cycling is a different story.
Old 03-11-20, 02:47 PM
jfranci3

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by blinky
My current road shoes are Shimano , purchased 17 years ago - they feel heavy and with advances in materials are there any good quality light weight models on the market currently that anyone would recommend ? thanks in advance for your thoughts .
Are you looking for something that is highend or bang for the buck or value (sub-$100)? The gotchas are usually price, toe box room, sole flex, ankle fit issues (Specialized road shoes), not quality. New, outside of sales, Shimano will have the best bang for the buck.