Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Which cartridge Bottom Bracket for 1992 Specialized Hard Rock?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-22, 05:20 PM
univega.duder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts

I need to replace the bottom bracket on my 1992 Specialized Hard Rock and I'm not quite sure what size or model to get. When I measured the spindle with my calipers I came up with 124mm. When I measured the painted part of the frame with my tape measure I got 2 5/8" which is about 66.6mm. I had a tough time getting an accurate measurement with the tape measure. Can anyone point me towards a good affordable replacement cartridge bottom bracket?

I'm seeing the UN55 and UN300 as popular choices but I'm nervous about choosing the incorrect size. Thank you!

Old 10-27-22, 05:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
It looks like you need a 124mm spindle probably JIS taper. However your cranks determine all of this not so much the bike. I would look at the Interloc Racing Designs they make excellent BBs
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-27-22, 06:45 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Any other markings on the spindle like 3S or 3NN?

Do "A" and "C" measure the same? See diagram here

​​​​​​https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html
Likes For dedhed:
Old 10-27-22, 07:28 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
You have a 68mm bottom bracket shell. Table of BB spindle sizes by Sheldon Brown lists symmetric equivalents. As veganbikes says, most likely you have a symmetric 124mm one.
There is also JIS vs ISO difference, both UN55 and UN300 are JIS.
Edit: dedhed beat me.
Likes For csport:
Old 10-27-22, 07:56 PM
univega.duder

Originally Posted by dedhed
Any other markings on the spindle like 3S or 3NN?

Do "A" and "C" measure the same? See diagram here

​​​​​​https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html
Thanks for the Sheldon Brown link! Yes there is a marking on the other side of the spindle showing "3NN" which on Sheldon's chart indicates 68mm Shell Width and 124mm overall lengths with symmetrical "A" and "C" measurements.

Would this Shimano UN300 BSA 68MM, Spindle 122.5MM be compatible? I'm wondering if losing 1.5mm in length would be problematic?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ustomerReviews

Old 10-27-22, 09:57 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by univega.duder
Would this Shimano UN300 BSA 68MM, Spindle 122.5MM be compatible? I'm wondering if losing 1.5mm in length would be problematic?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ustomerReviews
Good question...
According to the chart your 3NN has a 124mm spindle, which means it protrudes by (124-68)/2=28mm on each side.

Is UN300 symmetric? Does Shimano have a drawing for it? Something like this old Tange catalog (see the last page) - their 122 is non-symmetric with 28 on the right (what you need) and 26 on the left (should probably be OK, use a pedal washer if you need it).

I think square taper cranksets are pushed further onto the BB every time they are removed/reinstalled, which effectively changes the spindle length. Also, what is the tolerance the BBs are made to? My guess is that you will be OK.
Likes For csport:
Old 10-27-22, 10:46 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
1.5mm is only 0.75mm per side. Most applications that's "close enough"
Does your chain ring/crank arm clear the chainstay by enough to move in a mm or so?

Riv shows non symmetrical with shift to the R options

​​​​​​https://www.rivbike.com/products/car...nt=38265581965

Last edited by dedhed; 10-27-22 at 10:49 PM.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 10-28-22, 08:48 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
I need to replace the bottom bracket on my 1992 Specialized Hard Rock and I'm not quite sure what size or model to get. When I measured the spindle with my calipers I came up with 124mm. When I measured the painted part of the frame with my tape measure I got 2 5/8" which is about 66.6mm. I had a tough time getting an accurate measurement with the tape measure. Can anyone point me towards a good affordable replacement cartridge bottom bracket?

I'm seeing the UN55 and UN300 as popular choices but I'm nervous about choosing the incorrect size. Thank you!
You have a set of calipers, why not use them to measure the bottom bracket shell? It’s a whole lot easier than trying to use a tape measure. The bottom bracket shell is 68mm, by the way.

You should be able to find any number of BB-UN300 bottom brackets for around $15 on line. As there isn’t a 124mm spindle in that model, you’ll have to use the 122.5 mm. You will need to make some minor adjustments to the limit screws.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-28-22, 08:46 PM
univega.duder

Originally Posted by cyccommute
You have a set of calipers, why not use them to measure the bottom bracket shell? It’s a whole lot easier than trying to use a tape measure. The bottom bracket shell is 68mm, by the way.

You should be able to find any number of BB-UN300 bottom brackets for around $15 on line. As there isn’t a 124mm spindle in that model, you’ll have to use the 122.5 mm. You will need to make some minor adjustments to the limit screws.
Thanks Cycommute! Indeed the calipers would have been easier but the small chain ring was interfering and I didn't have the time to remove the cranks yesterday.

I ended up up ordering a Tange LN3922 68x122 - I'm looking forward to installing it.
Old 10-28-22, 08:56 PM
univega.duder

Originally Posted by csport
Good question...
According to the chart your 3NN has a 124mm spindle, which means it protrudes by (124-68)/2=28mm on each side.

Is UN300 symmetric? Does Shimano have a drawing for it? Something like this old Tange catalog (see the last page) - their 122 is non-symmetric with 28 on the right (what you need) and 26 on the left (should probably be OK, use a pedal washer if you need it).

I think square taper cranksets are pushed further onto the BB every time they are removed/reinstalled, which effectively changes the spindle length. Also, what is the tolerance the BBs are made to? My guess is that you will be OK.
Thanks CSport! I thoroughly enjoyed looking through the Tange catalog - the bike parts look especially nice next to the images of Mt Fuji and cherry blossoms. I ended up ordering a TangeLN-3922 68x122 which is symmetrical and perhaps slightly higher quality than the UN300. Thanks for your help.
Likes For univega.duder:
Old 10-29-22, 08:56 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Thanks Cycommute! Indeed the calipers would have been easier but the small chain ring was interfering and I didn't have the time to remove the cranks yesterday.

I ended up up ordering a Tange LN3922 68x122 - I'm looking forward to installing it.
Just a tip on measuring things with calipers where there is interference with the jaws. The little metal strip in the middle of the main scale is called a depth gauge. Line the end of the caliper up with one side and run the depth gauge out the where you need to measure. Pictures are better

The reading on the caliper isn’t 68mm but that doesn’t matter for a bottom bracket. You don’t need to have two decimal place precision since the common sizes are 68mm and 73mm with 68mm being far more common than 73mm. Honestly, I think I’ve only ever owned one bike with a 73mm bottom bracket out of 50 bikes (mine, my wife’s, and my kids).
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-29-22, 09:01 AM
univega.duder

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Just a tip on measuring things with calipers where there is interference with the jaws. The little metal strip in the middle of the main scale is called a depth gauge. Line the end of the caliper up with one side and run the depth gauge out the where you need to measure. Pictures are better

The reading on the caliper isn’t 68mm but that doesn’t matter for a bottom bracket. You don’t need to have two decimal place precision since the common sizes are 68mm and 73mm with 68mm being far more common than 73mm. Honestly, I think I’ve only ever owned one bike with a 73mm bottom bracket out of 50 bikes (mine, my wife’s, and my kids).
Thanks Cyccommute - I appreciate the caliper / depth gauge tip and the photo. I've never been quite sure what to do with the depth gauge.
Old 10-29-22, 02:47 PM
cyccommute 

Thanks Cyccommute - I appreciate the caliper / depth gauge tip and the photo. I've never been quite sure what to do with the depth gauge.
I couldn’t live without it! I use it for all kinds of things like replacing broken axles where you need to get the cones set evenly on both sides of the axle.