Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Shimano E8000 Battery Bracket Lock Sticks

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-23, 09:17 AM
newbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

The lock on the bracket that holds the Shimano E8000 battery in place on my brand new trike has been a royal PITA for me so far. Lining up the key is difficult because the bracket is so low and out of my direct siight. Even when I line the key up properly, there's lots of resistance to pushing the key in. Once it's in, it turns freely. The problem may be because it's new and the key-to-lock "fit" may need to be "broken in". But until that happens, is it OK to use some kind of lock lubricant? (Note that the lock is on the bracket and not in the battery itself.)

If so, what do you recommend using?

If not what do you recommend doing instead?

THanks!
Old 04-27-23, 06:05 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Hmmm. I have no resistance sliding my key into the slot. Also no resistance to turning the key counter clockwise to release the latch on the battery. It turns easily, once the key is fully inserted.

I do have to bend over quite far, and putting one knee on the floor is sometimes helpful. My battery is mounted on an angle, sloping down in front, so the keyway is at the high end of the battery and not too tough to see. Try sitting on a stool beside the trike, and use a flashlight to align the key with the hole. I don't think the key or the lock is the problem.

I don't think you need to lube the keyway or the lock. Whatever you do, don't use any oil. I believe locks, in general, prefer graphite, but I repeat, it's probably not the lock.
Old 04-30-23, 06:57 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
WD-40 has been used on locks since its invention. Maybe more for locks than for any other purpose.