Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ritchey logo on Santana frame tubing?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-20, 11:06 AM
rocknrollin

Bikes: PlanetX Tempest, Santana Fusion, Santana Arriva

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I swapped the derailleur the other day on our Santana Arriva Tandem, when I noticed that there was a Ritchey Logo on the dropout.
Can somebody explain this?
I thought that Santana sources american steel tubing directly, and that Ritchey moved their frame production to Asia a long time ago.
We were told that the model is from 2009 when we bought it second hand. It was in excellent condition, but the Hayes Mount is 65mm from the dropout, which according to the Info on Precision Tandems tells me it's pre-2004. I would guess its an early 2000's model (it has Santanas proprietary coupler for the oval boom tube, but S&S couplers for the lateral and top tube).

I'm curious to hear the history behind this, and whether its a common thing.

Old 05-17-20, 11:28 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by rocknrollin
I swapped the derailleur the other day on our Santana Arriva Tandem, when I noticed that there was a Ritchey Logo on the dropout.
Can somebody explain this?
I thought that Santana sources american steel tubing directly, and that Ritchey moved their frame production to Asia a long time ago.
We were told that the model is from 2009 when we bought it second hand. It was in excellent condition, but the Hayes Mount is 65mm from the dropout, which according to the Info on Precision Tandems tells me it's pre-2004. I would guess its an early 2000's model (it has Santanas proprietary coupler for the oval boom tube, but S&S couplers for the lateral and top tube).

I'm curious to hear the history behind this, and whether its a common thing.

Ritchey has been making and/or selling dropouts for a long time. You see them on bikes by a lot of different companies.

I'm not sure if you can date a Santana by the use of the Ritchey dropouts.
Old 05-17-20, 11:55 AM
rocknrollin

Bikes: PlanetX Tempest, Santana Fusion, Santana Arriva

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks! That makes sense and confirms my suspicion. The second after I posted it I realized that I should have rather said dropout instead of tubing in the title

No need to find out the exact date for now - this will only be needed in case we resell it.
I just wanted to give this as a background in case they only sourced the dropouts from Ritchey for a short period of time.
Interesting that one can find the logo on dropouts of many frames from other manufacturers!