Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Go To Wide 26" Tires?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Go To Wide 26" Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-20, 07:53 PM
sarahbruce

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Go To Wide 26" Tires?

Hello, it's been a while since I have been active here, but I looked through a decent amount of post and didn't really find any good suggestions. So, we just picked up a Raleigh Companion tandem. It currently has 26x1.6 tires. I am a high volume, wide tire enthusiast! My other two bikes have 3.25" and 3.3" tires. Obviously I can't go that wide on the Companion, but it looks like I could go to 2.3 or 2.35. So is there a go to wide 26" tire currently? I was thinking Schwalbe Big Apples, but they seem to be discontinued (although still available) and the Compass 2.3" Rat Traps are probably awesome, but just sooo expensive. Any more suggestions?
Old 07-19-20, 01:39 PM
Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I put Schwalbe Marathon Supreme HS469 26” x 2.0” on our da Vinci Joint Venture a few months ago and it’s been a revelation. They replaced Panaracer 26” x 1.5” RiBMos and not only are they much more comfy, but our average speed increased about 1/2 mph with no other changes! They roll unbelievably well at 50/60 psi f/r and are sure-footed on pavement. Our all-up rolling weight with bike, gear and riders is about 400 pounds. I expect they would be great gravel tires as well. I can’t imagine going back to 1.5” wide tires at 80 psi or 1.25” wide tires at 100 psi again. We still have room for fenders too!

Last edited by Joint Venture; 07-19-20 at 07:06 PM.
Likes For Joint Venture:
Old 07-19-20, 03:17 PM
rocknrollin

Bikes: PlanetX Tempest, Santana Fusion, Santana Arriva

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We have also used Schwalbe Marathon Supremes, 26x 2.0 " and found them extremely comfy and fast rolling.
We had two flat tires on the rear touring fully packed (~400 punds) within 1000km. So maybe not the best tire for heavy touring on rough roads ()at least not for us), but for light packed tours or daytrips very enjoyable!
Likes For rocknrollin:
Old 07-21-20, 11:34 AM
sarahbruce

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Well I ordered some Schwalbe Big Ben Plus 26x2.15 tires. It seems that it's slim pickin's right now, as most of the tires I was looking at were out of stock in the US. I think the Big Bens should work well for us though. I'll post some pics on the bike once they come in!
Old 07-22-20, 02:13 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
As much as people like truly fat rubber, there is no earthly reason to go larger than 1.75 to 2.0 for non-powered, on-road, riding. For e-assist hardtail or non-suspended bikes 2.0 to 2.5 doesn't go amiss. No one needs more unless you are riding in snow or sand. So IMO the lack of truly big rubber being available and thus forced to the 2.15 I don't think is an especially bad thing.