Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Burley Sand Point Recumbent?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-24, 06:27 PM
GordonP

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Norco Rampage, Bontrager Privateer S, Motobecane Super Touring, Rocky Mountain Hammer Frankenbike, Marinoni Turismo Extream, Marinoni Special, Tern Link 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

Due to chronic back pain I had to forgo cycling for over a year and I am looking at getting a recumbent to see if that will get me back riding. There is an old, but in great shape, Burley Sand Point in my region for $350 Canadian, that has been on the market for many months, and I am wondering if it is worth picking up?
Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-05-24, 09:45 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by GordonP
Due to chronic back pain I had to forgo cycling for over a year and I am looking at getting a recumbent to see if that will get me back riding. There is an old, but in great shape, Burley Sand Point in my region for $350 Canadian, that has been on the market for many months, and I am wondering if it is worth picking up?
Thanks for any advice.
It may allow you to ride which is a big win and well worth the price. But I suspect you can do better. A quick read on the model ndicates quality is not great.

Is a trike a must have? I ask because two wheel bents are generally much cheaper than trikes; you can get more for your money. I switched to a (two wheel) bent after injuring my back, to great success.
Old 01-06-24, 02:50 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
I think a Sandpoint IS a bike. Think because I have yet to find a picture of one that is reliably labeled. Near as I can tell it resembled a Koosah. But a Koosah is a long wheelbase machine. I saw a Craigslist seller call their Sandpoint a short wheelbase machine. In any case, the utter lack of triangulation of any Burley I have ever seen would rule them out for me. Recumbent design has come a ways in 50 years.
Old 01-06-24, 03:40 AM
GordonP

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Norco Rampage, Bontrager Privateer S, Motobecane Super Touring, Rocky Mountain Hammer Frankenbike, Marinoni Turismo Extream, Marinoni Special, Tern Link 8

The Sand Point is from around 2006 and is indeed a LWB design and the economical version of the Koosah. I have never tried a two wheel recumbent, or a trike for that matter, but I have always been intrigued when I do see them. For this bike my thoughts are using it to learn about recumbents and if they can help with my back problems. I will also have to learn about the logistical aspects like transporting, storing it and where I will be able to ride it.

Lieseturm, what do you mean by the lack of triangulation? This is the kind of stuff I have no clue about. I've been doing a lot of research and there sure are a lot of interesting recumbents out there!

Thanks for your replies!
Old 01-06-24, 08:31 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
I recently started using a recumbent trike for bad arthritis days. When looking into recumbents my understand is the development of frame triangulation aided in pedaling efficiency, decreased pedal steer and lowered the frames for a more stable ride.
Old 01-06-24, 06:24 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Triangulation is a method of stiffening the frame, The Sand Point/Koosah are not performance machines, and therefore the frames really weren't designed to minimize flex. For that matter, the higher level Burleys weren't designed for speed either. They were all monotube designs with not particularly large tubing. Unless you're racing, you probably won't notice a problem with a monotube frame. The pedal steer issue is limited to trikes, not bikes.

The advantage of monotube frames, aside from reducing production costs, is that they absorb road shock better.
Old 01-06-24, 07:27 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I think a Sandpoint IS a bike. Think because I have yet to find a picture of one that is reliably labeled. Near as I can tell it resembled a Koosah. But a Koosah is a long wheelbase machine. I saw a Craigslist seller call their Sandpoint a short wheelbase machine. In any case, the utter lack of triangulation of any Burley I have ever seen would rule them out for me. Recumbent design has come a ways in 50 years.
Oh your right it's a bike, I misinterpreted a pic.

I still think op could do better.
Old 01-07-24, 09:17 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
After reading the article by Bicycleman in Alfred NY (owns a shop there and manufactures the modern version of the Linear) I would say no, it is not a good deal. The MSRP was $799 brand new so it truly was a low end model. Burley quit making recumbents in 2006. My first real recumbent worth riding was a Linear LWB. I put a couple thousand miles on it in three years. It was comfortable and easy to ride but handled like the Queen Mary because of the length. Then I got seduced by trikes though I still own it after more than two decades.

"The Sand Point sold at a price point lower than Burley has ever attempted before. At $799 retail it looked like a good value but component problems caused Burley to permanently discontinue this model. This bike used the frame, fork, seat, handlebars, wheels and brakes of the Koosah. What’s different was the drive train (crank, derailleurs, and shifters). They were much lower quality, too bad."
Old 01-08-24, 04:55 AM
GordonP

Thanks for all of your replies, I found the information helpful. I decided to pass on the Burley and do more research. I am starting to lean towards getting a trike but it would have to be a folding one as I live on the second floor and I would have to carry it up stairs to my storage room. I'm not even sure that is possible! I may travel down to Bicycleman in Alfred NY to see what they have and try a few out this summer.
Old 01-09-24, 12:46 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by GordonP
Thanks for all of your replies, I found the information helpful. I decided to pass on the Burley and do more research. I am starting to lean towards getting a trike but it would have to be a folding one as I live on the second floor and I would have to carry it up stairs to my storage room. I'm not even sure that is possible!
It is not. I don't know what folding trikes weigh but they for sure weigh more than my Giant Expressway folding bike (30lb - 35lb). When, and if, it is folded it's usually so it can go in the trunk of a car I'm getting a lift from. Just getting it over the bumper and into the trunk area takes all my strength, and I am not weak. You would quickly tire (heh) of humping a trike up two flights of stairs on any kind of a regular basis.
Old 01-09-24, 09:02 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Trike weight examples

The weights are not hard to find as the better manufacturers list them on their websites. Catrike makes pretty good trikes. I've owned a Catrike 700 for a decade now and would replace it with another Catrike if it were stolen or wrecked. Comparing the weight of a good road bike to a good trike is a waste of time. The trike is always going to be heavier. My old Motobecane Le Champion only weighed 21 pounds but never got ridden as I got older because it was too uncomfortable. In contrast I put many thousands of miles on my trikes because they were so comfortable to ride.
Catrike has three models that fold. Get ready for some sticker shock as the good trikes are expensive. Folded size dimensions are at the website too.
Catrike Trail 37 pounds MSRP $3350 Catrike 559 39.5 pounds MSRP $3750 Catrike Dumont fully suspended trike 43 pounds MSRP $4950
If you can find a used one you can save a lot. My local Facebook Marketplace covers Las Vegas and SoCal. It would take some traveling for the best deals but they are out there right now.
Old 01-10-24, 11:50 AM
GordonP

So I guess schlepping a heavy recumbent up to my condo is out of the question! I appreciate all the input.