Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tell me about your century, including plans and wishful thinking

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-14, 06:26 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts

Seems like there has been a lot of interest in centuries these days. My guess is that after a nasty winter people are anxious to spend more time on the road, and riding a century is one way to guarantee that you will do exactly that.

There are some good threads going on about recent centuries and/or training for them:

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...l#post16840637

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...y-journal.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...de-report.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/942789-42i.html

For the rest of us, how's it going? Any road warrior stories to share?

BTW, these threads always seem to attract posters who have to say why bother, why would someone want to do this, can't you just ride and enjoy life, etc etc. If you feel inclined to make these comments, just go away. Post about plans to decorate your Brooks saddle or something.

Old 06-15-14, 06:35 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Getting off a late start this year because of home repairs. Hoping for a relatively flat sub-6 hour century in the fall (including 2 short feed stops if possible)......Certainly not counting on it unless I get more riding time. That's what it took in my 30s and I'm not currently doing that much now. Nothing really more to say for me.
Old 06-15-14, 06:48 PM
Dudelsack 

So I rode 113 very flat miles yesterday.

I started at Avoca Park at the south end of the Little Miami River Trail:

This trail is board flat and the weather was perfect, so there wasn't much suffering to be had. There was a major race going on at Loveland and I had to be careful not to get in the racers way, although they didn't appear to be taking things too seriously.

I went through beautiful downtown Xenia:

The above is Xenia Landing, built to accommodate cycling visitors.

I slogged my way through Yellow Springs.

There was a street fair in Yellow Springs and it was a mess. Thousands of people on the trail made travel very slow.

So I made it to Springfield, turned around, and had to go mano a mano through Yellow Springs again.

It gave me a chance to go through beautiful Xenia again:

The Dayton spur took me past a drag strip. It made an airport seem serene. I wish I'd snapped a picture or two of it.

I ended up along the Mad River Trail in Dayton:

Unfortunately I ran out of trail and energy, but if packed blinkies, strobes and one packet of Gu that made the trip on the Dayton city streets safe enough.

I payed strict attention to my nutrition. I had one milkshake, two Cokes, three tacos and the above mentioned Gu. It doesn't need to be more complicated than that.

Today I'm tired but not sore. And there's a club century coming up in two weeks. I may be dumb enough to try it.

Thats it.

Old 06-15-14, 07:06 PM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I plan to drive a couiple hundred miles North to ride the Tour de Corn in Missouri on June 28, 2014. A friend and I plan to make an attempt at a sub 5 hour century. I have ridden this course one time. It has a couple hills, but by far it is a flat ride. I hope the corn stalks are tall enough to cut down on some of the almost certain wind. Nothng will help the high humidity and heat with the mighty Mississippi River only a few miles away. Should be fun birthday ride for me. Can't wait.
Old 06-15-14, 07:21 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
@Dudelsack what a ride. Scenery, people, bike race.....and what's this about racers taking things seriously? Really??

Congrats, well done. You should be tiptop for the ride in 2 weeks. Do it up.
Old 06-15-14, 07:22 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

(Duplicate, sorry)
Old 06-15-14, 07:24 PM
mrtuttle04

Bikes: Trek Verve 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So far the most I have done is 80 miles (Ohio-Pyle to the Point in Pittsburgh). I hope to do a century this year. My thoughts are to do a 50 miles on the Great Allegheny Passage (starting in Pittsburgh and back) I will let you know If I make this goal.

Mark
Old 06-15-14, 07:25 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Sorry, I don't get the big deal about a century.
Ride what feels good, if that is 10 miles/km, a hundred or more - why does it matter ?
just ride your comfort.
Old 06-15-14, 07:27 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by martianone
Ride what feels good, if that is 10 miles/km, a hundred or more - why does it matter ?
just ride your comfort.
A century ride is iconic. No debate, no dispute. It's the biggie.

Now, do as our OP said and polish your brooks.
Old 06-15-14, 08:07 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the great report and photos Dudelsack! For sure I need to take more photos!

I do quite a few centuries and yesterday was #17 for the year. Officially, it was a Los Angeles Wheelmen ride, supposed to be 87 miles with 8,000 feet of climbing with an 8:00AM start.

But . . . a bunch of us wanted to start earlier (7:00AM) to beat the heat so from Encato Park in Duarte it was: Penny, Jacques, Stefan, Lauretta, Linda, Vertical Bob Eckhoff and myself.

We started out going through several "foothill" cities, through the suburbs of Monrovia, Alta Dena, Sierra Madre, Pasadena and eventually La Canada where we intercepted California Hwy 2. At this regroup point we had 18 miles and a bit over 1,000 feet of climbing. Everyone stopped except Linda ("I'm slow, you'll catch me.") but after filling bottles, having a Coke and a candy bar, I was ready to start the real climb.

Hwy 2 out of La Canada is a constant climb, starting at 7% then "leveling out" to 5 and 6% all the way to Clear Creek, our 2nd rest stop. I had ridden with some guy I didn't know, but had a fine conversation going (never did learn his name) as we passed Linda and Stefan (who had passed me earlier). That guy turned onto Angeles Forest (Hwy 2 is also known as Angeles Crest) so I was by myself all the way to the next stop at Red Box (i.e. the base of Mt. Wilson).

I waited for several minutes but no one showed up so I continued to climb, 12 miles to Newcomb's Ranch (with a few short descents thrown in). I bought a Gatorade at Newcomb's, put what would fit in my bottle, filled the other one with water and drank the rest of the Gatorade. I knew I wouldn't be able to get more fluids until Crystal Lake.

From Newcomb's it's a 6 mile constant climb to Cloudburst Summit, then a descent followed by more climbs, eventually through the tunnels and the descent to Islip Saddle. The Wheelmen route said turn right here, i.e. down the closed part of 39, but I wanted more miles and climbing so took off on the 5.5 mile climb to Dawson Saddle, the highest point on Hwy 2 at 7,901 feet.

Left, the view over the side of Hwy 39, right me at the Hwy 39/Hwy 2 junction (photo by Ken Mathis.

Turned around at the summit, descended from Dawson, then descended closed Hwy 39 (6.5 miles) then turned left and (more climbing) rode up to the Café at Crystal Lake which is 2 miles off Hwy 39. I was hungry and thirsty by now, so ordered a cheeseburger and fries and drank a couple of Pepsi's.

On the way out of Crystal Lake I saw Lauretta and Stefan coming up; stopped to talk with them awhile and Lauretta presented me with pair of Hwy 2 cycling socks she'd purchased for me at Newcomb's earlier in the day. That was a surprise!

They were headed for burgers and fries while I headed down the long descent of Hwy 39 (from 6,200 ft. at Crystal Lake) eventually catching and passing Jac, Penny, and Linda (they had not done Dawson or Crystal Lake). At the East Fork intersection I tried to talk them into doing Little GMR with me, but they'd had enough climbing for the day, so headed straight back to the start.

I, on the other hand, not being so smart, took off on East Fork; short stop four miles later at Camp Williams (Coke and salty bag of chips), filled my bottles again and headed up the 5 mile climb of Little GMR (Glendora Mountain Road) then down Big GMR, across Sierra Madre and back to the park with a total of 118 miles and 12,500 feet of climbing for the day.

Lauretta and Stefan were back at the park when I got there (they didn't do GMR either) resting and doing yoga to relax.

Here is my Strava for the ride: Bike Ride Profile | Encanto/Hwy 2/Hwy 39 Loop with Crystal Lake and Dawson Saddle near Duarte | Times and Records | Strava

Rick / OCRR
Attached Images

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 06-15-14 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-15-14, 09:29 PM
dalameda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After my almost century(92 miles)climbing 7600 feet up the backside of mount Hamilton yesterday, my wishful thinking is to find a nice flat century like Dudelsack's.
Old 06-15-14, 09:33 PM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like you had a great ride Dudelsack. I'm planning my first century (since my recovery)
sometime in the next month.

Charlie
Old 06-15-14, 09:54 PM
GravelMN

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
just ride your comfort.
It's a milestone for many riders, just one of countless possible goals, but a measurable accomplishment. Many of us find riding in our comfort zone boring, we want to push our limits and test our mettle (yes, that is the correct spelling). A little discomfort is nothing compared to the feeling you get from accomplishing something you have never done before. Each of us has different goals and not everyone's is to ride a century, but to not accept new challenges is the fastest way to grow old.

met·tle
/metl/
noun

a person's ability to cope well with difficulties or to face a demanding situation in a spirited and resilient way.
"the team showed their true mettle in the second half"
synonyms: spirit, fortitude, strength of character, moral fiber, steel, determination, resolve, resolution, backbone, grit, true grit, courage, courageousness, bravery, valor, fearlessness, daring
Old 06-15-14, 10:14 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
When I get to 100, I plan on riding 100 miles - but probably not in one day.

I've done a few centuries (in one day) - nice to have that accomplishment - but I don't plan on any soon.

However, if you haven't, it is a nice goal.
Old 06-15-14, 10:27 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Doodle, is that trail in Ohio? How would it be in, say, September for a guy passing through?
Old 06-16-14, 12:44 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the report, and the pics, and the attempt to warn off the naysayers

I've done 9 100+ mile rides this year, 3 of them organized events, and the others solo. Highlights include my fastest (5:20) and some wonderful exploration rides in the area where I'm buying a new house. Found some unexpected gravel on those rides so that just adds to the excitement.
Old 06-16-14, 03:52 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
As someone who did an unplanned, very slow, century last year, only to later find out it was just 98 miles I was hoping to do it properly this year on a more suitable bike without the accidental shortcut. Unfortunately, injuries and hospital operations look to have scuppered my plans this year.

Never mind, there's always next year to aim for.

I can see, and even sometimes agree with, the point of view of those who say centuries have too much importance placed on them, but hey, they're a challenge and an achievement and that's not a bad thing at our age is it?

I love riding for 2-3 hours so I'm not going to make a regular thing of riding centuries, in fact my next will probably be my last, but good luck and my admiration for those who do.

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 06-18-14 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-16-14, 04:07 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
Looks like a great ride. I've not yet made it up to the trail, but want to do so this year sometime. I had planned to do the Preservation Pedal Century in Winchester this weekend, but I've got to go out of town. I may be interested in the club ride on the 28th. Info?
Old 06-16-14, 05:20 AM
Dudelsack 

Originally Posted by dalameda
After my almost century(92 miles)climbing 7600 feet up the backside of mount Hamilton yesterday, my wishful thinking is to find a nice flat century like Dudelsack's.
The committee has voted that the climbing involved makes your ride a century.

Old 06-16-14, 05:23 AM
Dudelsack 

Originally Posted by jwalther
Looks like a great ride. I've not yet made it up to the trail, but want to do so this year sometime. I had planned to do the Preservation Pedal Century in Winchester this weekend, but I've got to go out of town. I may be interested in the club ride on the 28th. Info?
Oops, it's the 29th. Go to the bottom of the page: Louisville Bicycle Club - June

Old 06-16-14, 05:27 AM
Dudelsack 

Originally Posted by HawkOwl
Doodle, is that trail in Ohio? How would it be in, say, September for a guy passing through?
This trail goes from Cinncinati to Urbana. It should be great in September.

Old 06-16-14, 06:36 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I rode a good bit last week with both a 90 and 95 miler but not a 100 miler. I do have another 100 miler planned in a couple weeks and it is a pretty tough one with over 9000 ft of climbing. There is a 7 mile climb at 70 miles that hits close to 20%. Just takes everything out of you. Nursing a tender back right now so hopefully I can get in a few miles before that one.
Old 06-16-14, 07:13 AM
aubiecat

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just ride your comfort.
If you don't get it why do you feel obligated to post your opinion about some thing you don't care to understand and then try to dictate how others should ride?
I didn't buy an expensive road bike just to do boring comfort rides. They have their place but this thread isn't about that.
It's a big deal.
Old 06-16-14, 07:15 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My Century was the last one.. turned 53 in 000..

'97 @ 50 took my time though .. And never worried about how far in a day .. anymore ..

Feb to Nov.. SW Ireland , to NE Scotland .. Guinness & Bushmills drank loacally.

Scotch in country, & water from the same source they used at the distillery.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-15-14 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-16-14, 07:22 AM
GravelMN

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
BTW, looks like a great ride, Dudelsack.

I've done a couple of solo centuries this year but job and weather have cut into my riding time this spring. Still, I enjoy every ride. I planned on doing the 100 for the Tour de Cure this year, but a strong headwind on the last 40 miles was more than I had in me that day and I cut it down to 75 miles . I know some posters will say that it shouldn't matter, but it did, I do not like not reaching my goals and it doesn't happen often.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.