Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

contador, disrespected?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

contador, disrespected?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-09, 09:13 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Patriot
No wonder Lance wants to form his own team. Lance is right, it's a TEAM sport, and Conty has no idea what a TEAM is.

imho
I'll call it a team sport when the whole team gets to stand on the podium and be awarded the yellow jersey. Until then, I'll have to settle for the team standings being listed in the footnotes.

Contador has been sounding like a brat, yes, but it also takes a huge ego to want other riders to help you win. And the whole Alberto vs. Lance thing -- if Lance wanted to win, he should've been faster.
Old 10-31-09, 09:25 AM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
"Lance is right, it's a TEAM sport'"

The "team" concept of a grand tour is overblown. Short of a team time trial (which only happens every few years), these tours are won on 2-3 mountain-top finishes and in the time trials. It is very rare that the strongest rider doesn't win irregardless of the team. Name a recent tour where someone won the TT's and mountain top finishes but lost because his team wasn't as strong.
Old 10-31-09, 09:34 AM
lucsar

Bikes: orbea

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
grande contador

grande contador
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
t36_19748325.jpg (103.4 KB, 50 views)
Old 10-31-09, 09:57 AM
JacoKierkegaard
Fixed-gear roadie

Bikes: 2008 Masi Speciale Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I respect him as a rider, but I think he's an enormous ******.

Last edited by Walter; 10-31-09 at 04:18 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 10-31-09, 11:09 AM
n8tron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He dumped his whole team, not just Lance. he didn't want to keep pace and help out anyone. It was all about him.

The fact was, if he worked with his team, they could have taken all three top spots. As it was, only Lance got on the podium with him. And only because Lance is Lance. I'm sorry, but after watching, it seemed so obvious that Conty tossed his whole away like a dirty rag for self glory. That's not what I would call a team mate. Then the guy insults Lance out of jealousy. Say what you want, but that kid is a snob.

Like I said, I used to really like him, but.... Until he proves otherwise, that 's my view of him now. I hate to say it, but it's true.
I think that's where Astana had very different motives than most teams. Particularly to put multiple riders on the podium. Has that ever been a team goal before? For every other team its all about the 1 team leader. That's how it was when Lance won his, all for one so to speak. If i put myself in Contadors position, being the team leader, then to have that threatened by a rider not as good as him...

Interestingly my thoughts change opposite yours. I was (and generally am) a Lance fan, and didn't really care either way about Contador, but after the tour I have a bit less respect for Lance and a bit more for Contador.

It's a complicated situation, and there are many ways to look at what happened. And the thing is, none of us know what really went on behind the scenes. We're just a peanut gallery.
Old 10-31-09, 11:15 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by jrobe
"Lance is right, it's a TEAM sport'"

The "team" concept of a grand tour is overblown. Short of a team time trial (which only happens every few years), these tours are won on 2-3 mountain-top finishes and in the time trials. It is very rare that the strongest rider doesn't win irregardless of the team. Name a recent tour where someone won the TT's and mountain top finishes but lost because his team wasn't as strong.
Have you ever actually raced a bicycle?
Old 10-31-09, 11:42 AM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by n8tron
We're just a peanut gallery.
That is truer than most people know.

I think the fact that Lance left Astana to make his own team again, is one indication that he was very unhappy with the team atmosphere. I've seen many interviews with Lance where he regularly would hold back on stages to stay pace with his team. The only time he ever considered leaving them, was when his overall was seriously threatened. Like in his last win of the tour, he was very unhappy with his teams pace, so he had to leave them behind to keep his placing. The next day they came back and did much better. Lance still won the tour, but he continued to work with his team so they all placed better overall than without him.

I guess you're right in a way, but Conty's placing was never threatened to any extent. He dropped his team for a moment of glory when he didn't need to. That really irked alot of people. And because of that, the 3rd spot on the podium was lost. I in no way am saying he should sacrifice his win for the team. That's ridiculous. However, if your win is not threatened, then one should stick with the team so everyone can place better. This also helps with funding. If the whole team is consistently garnering more points, then the funding and overall placement tends to roll in as well.

If you remember, even competitors tend to treat each other better. When Lance crashed on his climb in stage 15 of TdF 2003, Ullrich slowed down and waited to at least see if Lance would recover. That's called general curtousy among riders. Dumping your whole team for a moment of glory for no reason, is just sad.

Even with that being the case, I could easily forgive him for his moment of glory. What really ticks me off is the way he treated one the greatest cyclists in history. Lance, Jan, Ivan, or most other top riders would never have done that.

(All this said, I don't think this will end our disagreement. I have my opinion, you have yours, and I think that's just the way it will stand. Such is life.)

Last edited by Patriot; 10-31-09 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-31-09, 12:03 PM
wneumann
Weapons grade stupidity

Bikes: Univega Sportour & Cadillac RLE 1.8

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Even with that being the case, I could easily forgive him for his moment of glory. What really ticks me off is the way he treated one the greatest cyclists in history.
I assume you're referring to his comments about Lance after the TdF. I may very well have missed something, but as far as I can recall, the worst he said about Lance is that he's a great cyclist, but personally he doesn't like the guy.

Was there more to it than that? Because that's hardly what I'd call treating someone poorly. Hell, that doesn't even rank as decent smack talk.
Old 10-31-09, 03:45 PM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He dumped his whole team, not just Lance. he didn't want to keep pace and help out anyone. It was all about him.

The fact was, if he worked with his team, they could have taken all three top spots. As it was, only Lance got on the podium with him. And only because Lance is Lance. I'm sorry, but after watching, it seemed so obvious that Conty tossed his whole away like a dirty rag for self glory. That's not what I would call a team mate. Then the guy insults Lance out of jealousy. Say what you want, but that kid is a snob.

Like I said, I used to really like him, but.... Until he proves otherwise, that 's my view of him now. I hate to say it, but it's true.
How many Posties or Disco riders joined Lance on the podium for his 7 wins? There were 14 spots available.
Old 10-31-09, 04:05 PM
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by patentcad
It would be very tough, particularly if there's a team time trial.
If you remove the TTT from this years Tour he pretty much did win it without a team. Actually he went one further and had to race against part of his own team as well.
Old 10-31-09, 04:22 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
I fixed the typo in the title as well as a few other "typos."

I'm not sure if this belongs in Pro Cycling or not....
Old 10-31-09, 04:53 PM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by El Diablo Rojo
If you remove the TTT from this years Tour he pretty much did win it without a team. Actually he went one further and had to race against part of his own team as well.

Exactly right. He will ride next years tour exactly the same as he did this year - sit on Lance's wheel and attack on the climbs and the TT's.
Old 10-31-09, 06:26 PM
tsohg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't see any evidence of "disrespect" in the article. Everyone pretty much acknowledges Contador's dominance at this point. I, too, got the vibe that he was a spoiled, vindictive guy from the TdF. Regardless of what you think of Lance or AC, the two clearly do not get along.

Apparently once Astana failed to secure their license all riders under contract with Astana are now free to leave and seek other teams with no repercussions, financial or otherwise.
Can anyone who is familiar with the UCI license process explain this failure? Astana really looks like a @#$%-up of a team run by a people with money who don't really have their S together. Or is it possible that AC doesn't want to play ball with them on any level? Who ever heard of a Kazakhi cycling team anyway? That's right, I said it.
Old 10-31-09, 06:35 PM
rotti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I can't believe is how so many people dump on Lance... Contador can't get respect, please... Lance had won 7 tours, battled cancer, and had done more for cycling than anyone has ever done, but yet everyone on here claims he's the antichrist. Good luck Contador.

There's an old saying, "Everyone hates the winner, so it's better to be hated." Just wait Alberto, you win 5 more and you'll really see what disrespected means.
Old 10-31-09, 07:22 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you really wanna see disrespect, talk to Sastre, Pereiro, and Evans. They have tons to say I'm sure.
Old 11-01-09, 07:42 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
What's funny is you don't hear Lance talk about other ridiers like the way Conty talked about him.
Yeah, Contador saying he respects Lance but doesnt like him is so much worse than Lance coming in and trying to take over the Astana team leadership when Contador was a demonstrably better rider. Sure.

I actually liked him until he dumped his own team to obtain self-glory. He still would have won the tour, but he only gave a hoot about himself.
You mean the same split team where even the team director had a hard-on for Lance and was doing pretty much everything to stack the odds in LA's favor?

Lance is right, it's a TEAM sport
I'd say something about how that definition of team seems to be "a group of people put together to help Lance win" but the post below pretty much sums it all.

Originally Posted by mmmdonuts
How many Posties or Disco riders joined Lance on the podium for his 7 wins? There were 14 spots available.
V