Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you ride today?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-18, 12:03 PM
ctpres

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
11.6 mph @ 14.1 avg - GREAT trainer ride. Tomorrow will be my last hi country ride for three or four weeks as we are headed for TX gulf coast.
Old 07-11-18, 12:05 PM
ctpres

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
11.6 miles @ 14.1 avg mph. Great trainer ride.
Old 07-11-18, 02:41 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 504 Posts
Today's AM ride was to Walmart on the grocery grabber. Yesterday's ride was my 68th Birthday ride.

Out at 12:01AM in 81F temp. with 90+% humidity still smarting from prostate cancer surgery 13 days earlier. Disappointing beginning due to GI issues that continued, temps rode into the 90'sF then afternoon wicked thunderstorm put the kibosh on continuing the ride. Managed a paltry 169 miles but will have another go at it 2 weeks from tomorrow when I have my Pete Cornell Memorial Ride.
Old 07-11-18, 04:14 PM
PhoenixBiker 

Bikes: 2001 Waterford RST-22, 2002 Gunnar Sport, 1999 Trek 520 gravel grinder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Christened a new set of Conti Gator Hardshell tires with a 13.25 mi. late-afternoon ride. Mileage was about average for me since returning to the bike after a health-related 15-year layoff. So far, 219.94 miles since spring (outdoor miles only; I don't count LifeCycle miles at the gym).
Old 07-11-18, 07:50 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Today's AM ride was to Walmart on the grocery grabber. Yesterday's ride was my 68th Birthday ride.

Out at 12:01AM in 81F temp. with 90+% humidity still smarting from prostate cancer surgery 13 days earlier. Disappointing beginning due to GI issues that continued, temps rode into the 90'sF then afternoon wicked thunderstorm put the kibosh on continuing the ride. Managed a paltry 169 miles but will have another go at it 2 weeks from tomorrow when I have my Pete Cornell Memorial Ride.
A red-letter day for celebration and yet no photos/video? We are sorely disappointed.
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Bike, hike, float = cross training day at the Snoqualmie Summit recreation area.
The Pacific Crest Trail passes through right here, for folks seeking a walk from Mexico to Canada, or vice versa.

Why not show your entire bike?
Originally Posted by Greenhil
62 mile lump-in-your-throat beautiful day on some nice, quiet paved roads on the flat part of my little state.
This photo is begging for a focal point (yes, I see the rock sculpture). Although it would make a great background as it stands.
Old 07-11-18, 09:41 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Tuesday - 19 miles as a bike commuter.
today drove to work but then got in a 12 mile ride
Old 07-11-18, 11:05 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Yes!

While the Tour de France plays out, we do the Tour de Fort Worth here in Texas. It's not competitive, just a series of rides in different parts of the city almost every day while the TdF is taking place. Last night our bicycle club led the ride. It was weird because the ride was officially canceled by the city due to weather, but the rain cleared out before ride time so we rode anyway, with a smallish group of 20-30 riders. I rode my fixed gear bike and ended up with 30 miles (including to and from the start point from my house).

I rode again tonight; this time the crowd was much bigger, more like 200-300 riders, including Ft Worth Mayor Betsy Price. Here's a pic of me and Betsy.

Tonight's distance, also fixed gear, was similar- I ended up with 29 miles. There was some big local sponsorship tonight, so after the ride there were free beers, free tacos, and free desserts.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-12-18, 02:57 AM
John00

Bikes: 2 TiSports and a Ho Ko E Koo

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
it was supposed to be hot today but I don't think it was over 85°. I keep riding the same route, I'ts the most rural and beautiful of my rides. 51 Miles. I came across a cyclist who seemed to be having trouble with his mini pump. I was going to offer mine. He seemed very agitated, I looked at his wheel and he hadn't loosened the valve on his presta tube.He looked a little like a tweaker with lots of home made or prison tattoos on his arms. I quickly decided it was probably a stolen bike. He wasn't wearing any cycling clothes. He was riding a Raleigh with drop handlebars, toe cages, I didn't get a look at the group set. He became more agitated and told me I could go. I was glad to get away from him.
Old 07-12-18, 04:18 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
There was some big local sponsorship tonight, so after the ride there were free beers, free tacos, and free desserts.
Sounds like a great time. I’ve spent many hours riding the Trinity River trail there and I assume that’s a big part of th event?
Old 07-12-18, 07:57 AM
MidSouthBiker

Bikes: Mr.White Mr.Green Mr.Orange

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yesterday I rode 2.0 hours in 105 degree heat index, and was not feeling well the rest of the day.
Today I am still not feeling very well. So to be on the safe side, I will skip today's ride, and stay inside in the AC.
Old 07-12-18, 10:20 AM
Paul Braithwait

Location: Carlisle, in England's Lake District, just a few miles south of the border with Scotland.

Bikes: A Bianchi C2C road bike, a steel framed touring bike and a Xootr Swift folder which has made the rest redundant!

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Enjoying a long spell of fine sunny weather here in the north of England. Managed to cover 33 miles today - most of it uphill! 1797ft of climbing up gradients touching 12%.67 year old legs are now starting to ache but it has been a great day.
Old 07-12-18, 10:53 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
62 hot and humid miles yesterday and 40 more hot and humid miles today. The sun is evaporating much of the flood water along the roads and it's been like riding in a rain forest.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-12-18, 11:03 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenhil
Sounds like a great time. I’ve spent many hours riding the Trinity River trail there and I assume that’s a big part of the event?
Some of the rides use the trails. Last night's ride was primarily on Vickery Blvd. (I linked my Strava trace in the last line of my earlier post). It was a large enough group that the FWPD provided traffic control.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-12-18, 11:37 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'm sorry I missed that one. I'd heard it was canceled so I snoozed. Woke up late, took an 18 mile ride west toward the Walsh Ranch development. Only my second outdoor ride on the road bike since the May injury. Felt good to get outside despite the muggy weather and aching shoulder and neck.

Yes!

While the Tour de France plays out, we do the Tour de Fort Worth here in Texas. It's not competitive, just a series of rides in different parts of the city almost every day while the TdF is taking place. Last night our bicycle club led the ride. It was weird because the ride was officially canceled by the city due to weather, but the rain cleared out before ride time so we rode anyway, with a smallish group of 20-30 riders. I rode my fixed gear bike and ended up with 30 miles (including to and from the start point from my house).

I rode again tonight; this time the crowd was much bigger, more like 200-300 riders, including Ft Worth Mayor Betsy Price. Here's a pic of me and Betsy.

Tonight's distance, also fixed gear, was similar- I ended up with 29 miles. There was some big local sponsorship tonight, so after the ride there were free beers, free tacos, and free desserts.
Old 07-13-18, 04:50 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
35 miles with a buddy on the Northern Rail Trail in NH. Couldn’t have asked for a nicer day for riding. Nice to chat with the cyclists who stop at the Danbury Country Store. Last time I rode this trail I came home with a couple of ticks. This time I was careful not to venture off the trail and still picked one up. Really nice trail, though.
Old 07-13-18, 11:49 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
More heat and humidity and another 40 miles. Rode this one with my buddy Frank C.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-13-18, 04:19 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
Early ride today.
Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.
Upper 80s again today.
Where’s that helmet mounted misting accessory I need.

Old 07-13-18, 04:36 PM
PhoenixBiker 

Bikes: 2001 Waterford RST-22, 2002 Gunnar Sport, 1999 Trek 520 gravel grinder

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Hot and humid again, didn't get started until midday because of work, but sweated through 12.34 miles -- again, about average for me while I fight through some soreness in my sacroiliac joint. Life is good.
Old 07-13-18, 04:45 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Today was officially a knozone action day in Indy - Action Day - Knozone - so biked to work but tried not to inhale.
19 miles today. And they've extended the ozone warning through Saturday. Will make for a great club ride prior to the Indy Crit activities. IU Health Indy Criterum Bicycle Festival
Old 07-14-18, 05:23 AM
pursuance

Bikes: Bicycles

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John00
it was supposed to be hot today but I don't think it was over 85°. I keep riding the same route, I'ts the most rural and beautiful of my rides. 51 Miles. I came across a cyclist who seemed to be having trouble with his mini pump. I was going to offer mine. He seemed very agitated, I looked at his wheel and he hadn't loosened the valve on his presta tube.He looked a little like a tweaker with lots of home made or prison tattoos on his arms. I quickly decided it was probably a stolen bike. He wasn't wearing any cycling clothes. He was riding a Raleigh with drop handlebars, toe cages, I didn't get a look at the group set. He became more agitated and told me I could go. I was glad to get away from him.
I'll only stop if it is requested, as "no good deed goes unpunished." Or so it seems.
I live just North of downtown Long Beach Ca = lots of tweakers/bicycle theft. Lost a Trek.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rode 38 early morning miles yesterday and headed out for more today.
At 71 it is time to get serious again. Yes, i need to take photos. How i've resisted it.
Old 07-14-18, 10:16 AM
Ilfalco2

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
72 miles @ 18.3 mph.

Great day to ride in Maine!!
Old 07-14-18, 10:22 AM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Yes!

Ft. Worth has much more of a "cool factor" than Dallas does. Better people, better food, better entertainment, better atmosphere.
I spend time there every couple of years.
Old 07-14-18, 10:27 AM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Probably won't today, as I have an commitment this evening..
Did ride to the ball park and back last night.. 16 miles
the ride there was during the heat & humidity of the day..
the ride back was during a gnat hatch (trail runs right alongside of the river).
Old 07-14-18, 07:05 PM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Met family and rode 21.5 miles. Four of us together. Didn’t break any speed records, but had a great time with family.
Old 07-14-18, 08:29 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Real hot, stagnant air, ozone alert so of course we rode the tandem to Downtown Indy for the kickoff club ride before the IU Health Indy Crit Bike Festival this morning. 56 miles including to and from.
Kickoff cyclists rode the race course one and a half times before heading out of town. Boy Howdy!

Last edited by JanMM; 07-14-18 at 08:33 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.