Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Centaur 11s rear derailleur cage not parallel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-24, 04:01 AM
Bart78

Bikes: Focus, giant, campy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

As the topic. Brand new derailleur.
Hanger is ok - I've set it up via special dedicated tool.
What's going on ?
Is this how it's supposed to be?
A new derailleur and you can clearly see that the trolley's axis is not parallel to the rim or sprockets.
I can't show photos (I'm not allowed to insert photos until 10 posts):
Old 01-06-24, 07:35 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 1,599 Times in 742 Posts
Welcome.

Some RDs look like they are angled away from the wheel a bit. Does it shift perfectly or does it ghost shift?
Old 01-06-24, 08:30 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4215 Post(s)
Liked 3,892 Times in 2,323 Posts
I've seen lots of Campy cages that seem to have a "S" bend in them but shift well. Go by function first. Andy
Old 01-06-24, 09:58 AM
Bart78

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Welcome.

Some RDs look like they are angled away from the wheel a bit. Does it shift perfectly or does it ghost shift?
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I've seen lots of Campy cages that seem to have a "S" bend in them but shift well. Go by function first. Andy
I hope this is the case. I didn't put on the chain yet - I didn't want to disassemble too much in case faulty shifting. I had many different RDs, none of them had such cage...
Old 01-07-24, 08:44 AM
gfk_velo

Bikes: Too many!

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Bart78
I hope this is the case. I didn't put on the chain yet - I didn't want to disassemble too much in case faulty shifting. I had many different RDs, none of them had such cage...
All the Campagnolo 11, 12 & 13s have a designed-in twist in the cage - it's not much, less than 2 degrees, but it is visible and it looks as if the lower jockey is twisted away from the line of the upper one (in 13s the lower also sits slightly further "out" than the upper one).

Is that what you are seeing?

Viewed from the back, the jockey bolts themselves should be parallel with the wheel axle and the axis of the lower pivot of the parallelogram but the jockeys themselves will not look as if they are perfectly aligned with each other. I'll try and post you an image when we re-open the Service Course on Tuesday ...
Old 01-07-24, 09:33 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by gfk_velo
All the Campagnolo 11, 12 & 13s have a designed-in twist in the cage - it's not much, less than 2 degrees, but it is visible and it looks as if the lower jockey is twisted away from the line of the upper one (in 13s the lower also sits slightly further "out" than the upper one).

Viewed from the back, the jockey bolts themselves should be parallel with the wheel axle and the axis of the lower pivot of the parallelogram but the jockeys themselves will not look as if they are perfectly aligned with each other. I'll try and post you an image when we re-open the Service Course on Tuesday ...
I've seen this on 8's, 10's, and 11s. Don't own any higher level ones. Mine all shift well, when run with Campy indexing or friction shifters. The offset cage seems to be part of the design.
Old 01-07-24, 12:38 PM
Bart78

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gfk_velo

Yes, that's it! I am seeing exactly as You described... I couldn't find any info about this. Pity I still can't send photos
Thank You very much...
Old 01-07-24, 03:39 PM
gfk_velo

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I've seen this on 8's, 10's, and 11s. Don't own any higher level ones. Mine all shift well, when run with Campy indexing or friction shifters. The offset cage seems to be part of the design.
It's not there (by design, anyway) in 8, 9 and 10s cages.

The twist was introduced into the design with 11s.
Having siad that, in 8, 9 and 10s, to some extent the effective "twist" is created by the jockey wheels' ability to move slightly on their bushings.

In 11s, the cage itself has a deliberate twist introduced. It caused quite a lot of debate online at the time and a lot of people wrote at great length about "plastic creep" and all kinds of other obscure phenomena - and we had several sent back to us as potential warranty - but in fact the carbon of the cage is deliberately formed to give a slight longitudinal change in the alignment of the jockeys ...
Old 01-07-24, 03:42 PM
gfk_velo

Originally Posted by Bart78
Yes, that's it! I am seeing exactly as You described... I couldn't find any info about this. Pity I still can't send photos
Thank You very much...
No problem ... you aren't the first to query this ... As I mentioned in my reply to @Road Fan, we had a few RDs returned to us at the Service Centre in the early days of 11s, before we were able to get the knowledge distributed, that the twist that people were seeing was designed-in.
Old 01-20-24, 02:47 AM
Bart78

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Finally now I can attach pictures: (What do You think?)

Old 01-20-24, 05:18 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 1,599 Times in 742 Posts
How is the shifting?
Does it ghost-shift under load?
Old 01-20-24, 05:33 AM
Bart78

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
How is the shifting?
Does it ghost-shift under load?
Please give me some time, I didn't link the chain yet. I will inform when I check it.

Ps: Silver elements are tuned by me - it is a black version RD.
Old 01-21-24, 02:01 PM
Bart78

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Unfortunately faulty shifting occurs, but I could check only on service stand so far and the chain was not lubricated, totally degreased (prepared for waxing) - does it matter ?
I can't properly adjust RD - when chain is in the middle of the cassette only downshifting or only upshifting is good. When I click very vigorously, sometimes shifting is ok on every cog, but... sometimes....
I checked hanger once again - circa 1-2 mm max differences between rim and tool bar.

Components: new crankset 34-50 centaur 11 UT, new chain campa 11s, new shifters centaur 11s, new FD, new RD and almost new cassette chorus 11s 11-27 (CS14-CH117).
I didn't touch "B" screw (distance between big sprocket and jockey is 6 mm) neither second "B" screw.

Last edited by Bart78; 01-28-24 at 03:20 AM.