Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Go cadel !

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-11, 01:14 PM
ozneddy

Bikes: Casati, ,Peugot,Mitchell,Raliegh,Nishiki

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Go cadel !

We might just win one
Old 07-23-11, 01:20 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Might nothing....unless tradition is broken, he has!

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 07-23-11, 01:51 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 119 Posts
Party like you're Australian, oz
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 07-23-11, 02:02 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
Party like you're Australian, oz
Had to chuckle at that.

I understand they may call for a national holiday in Oz. Good on you!

Too bad the race was decided by a crash with a spectator the first day, though.
Old 07-23-11, 02:51 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Unfortunately, that's racing (regarding the week one crash) on the pro circuit. You don't want it to happen that way, but the factor is always present. Also, there were other incidents that hurt some of the favorites early on.

I'm immensely happy for Evans, Australia and cycling fans everywhere. This has been a very interesting Tour this year.
Old 07-23-11, 02:54 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Best Tour in years, I agree.
Old 07-23-11, 03:47 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 41 Posts
I confess that I've been pulling for Andy in this Tour, but what a great day for the land down under! Spectacular time trial this morning and Cadel deserves the win. I have completely enjoyed every moment of the Tour this year.
Old 07-23-11, 03:52 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Very great racing !
Old 07-23-11, 04:06 PM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Cadel managed his whole Tour beautifully to put himself in this position, and he finished it off with real panache. I was rooting for Cadel from day 1 (and for Tom Danielson to do well), and there's a very slight C&V hue to the whole thing for me, since I own one of Cadel's TT bikes from his very early roadie days, when he was still riding primarily mountain bikes for Volvo-Cannondale.
Old 07-23-11, 05:09 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3017 Post(s)
Liked 3,814 Times in 1,412 Posts
While Cadel obviously rode smart, he still is a snore fest. The Pyrenees were a snore fest. Only stage 18 had some good racing. The rest was boring, predictable or completely inconsequential. Unfortunatley LA made the tour suck. If it is the "only" race to race, the other races are boring and if you do compete in them, you aren't "peaking" for the tour.
Old 07-23-11, 05:10 PM
iab

And someone should fire Phil Liggett. He obviously won't retire in grace.
Old 07-23-11, 05:51 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Originally Posted by iab
While Cadel obviously rode smart, he still is a snore fest. The Pyrenees were a snore fest. Only stage 18 had some good racing. The rest was boring, predictable or completely inconsequential. Unfortunatley LA made the tour suck. If it is the "only" race to race, the other races are boring and if you do compete in them, you aren't "peaking" for the tour.
I see what you mean, and this is actually one of the reasons I found myself rooting for Contador of all people. He rode the Giro really well and dominated, but when the Tour wasn't working out, his last gasp efforts were a thing of beauty this week. He has heart, that's for sure.

However, I do wish some of these Tour favorites would push themselves a little more in other stage races or one day classics rather than treating everything but the Tour as a training ride. It would be a blast to see Contador really, really give the Paris-Roubaix a solid go. This is what made Merckx just that much better. He went for it in everything.
Old 07-23-11, 06:18 PM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Originally Posted by iab
Couldn't disagree more. Cadel raced hard on numerous occasions to preserve his chances. Did he go out on the attack stage after stage? No. But he also did a heck of a lot more than follow wheels - he took the initiative many times. Are we talking Pantani attacking from kilometer 10? No. But you really just have to look a bit more closely to see the drama - and there was plenty of drama in this year's race. It's easy to call a Cadel a "snore fest" from the comfort of an arm chair, but frankly, anyone who couldn't appreciate watching Cadel manage both Schlecks and Contador with minimal support from his team in the high mountains maybe is asking way too much.
Sorry, but the days of riders racing hard the full season are just over. And Lance isn't solely responsible, unless you think Indurain was a well-rounded racer - Cadel has a more significant one-day palmares than him.
Old 07-23-11, 06:19 PM
Picchio Special

Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
It would be a blast to see Contador really, really give the Paris-Roubaix a solid go.
No - it would be an embarrassment - or a quick trip to the emergency room. A reality of which Contador is too well aware.
Old 07-23-11, 07:18 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Evans has it, congrats to him as he's worked as hard as anybody to win the TdF in past years. Sure mechanicals and crashes played some towards the outcome, but that's in every race, everywhere. With the ITT stage 20 the Schlecks knew they were in trouble, but their team rode a good tour and I'll bet the two brothers will be working on their TT skills and, perhaps their decending skills.

The really good thing is the young talent is very promising...

Brad
Old 07-23-11, 09:10 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 287 Posts
Best of luck to him.....as long as he continues to test clean.
I still have a bad taste in my mouth from 2007.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 07-23-11, 09:24 PM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts
I thought Cadel rode a patient & smart Tour. I wish Voekler had a better TT and had made the podium, though. He wore the yellow jersey with honor and guts.
Old 07-24-11, 12:11 AM
txvintage
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I too wish Voekler had made the podium. His shear determination, against all odds and all challengers, to hold the jersey for as long he could was the crowning m,oment for me in this years Tour.

I've never really been an Evans fan, mostly due to his off the bike personality. I none the less found myself pulling for him when he took the Peleton onto his own shoulders and rode himself and every other top 10 rider back into contention on multiple occaisions in the Alps. He showed grit, determination, and acceptance that if he wanted to win the Tour it was upto him to do it and he never made excuses or complained.

Well done Mr. Evans.
Old 07-24-11, 05:24 AM
ozneddy

Bikes: Casati, ,Peugot,Mitchell,Raliegh,Nishiki

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well said sir !
Old 07-24-11, 05:48 AM
iab

Originally Posted by Picchio Special
Couldn't disagree more. Cadel raced hard on numerous occasions to preserve his chances. Did he go out on the attack stage after stage? No. But he also did a heck of a lot more than follow wheels - he took the initiative many times. Are we talking Pantani attacking from kilometer 10? No. But you really just have to look a bit more closely to see the drama - and there was plenty of drama in this year's race. It's easy to call a Cadel a "snore fest" from the comfort of an arm chair, but frankly, anyone who couldn't appreciate watching Cadel manage both Schlecks and Contador with minimal support from his team in the high mountains maybe is asking way too much.
Sorry, but the days of riders racing hard the full season are just over. And Lance isn't solely responsible, unless you think Indurain was a well-rounded racer - Cadel has a more significant one-day palmares than him.
I also beg to differ. What you wrote is my definition of riding smart. And without a doubt, Evans rode smart. Still a snore fest. Still took yellow in a very boring and predictable time trial. And I can say that from my chair. You think I give a rat's crap about more than the entertainment value these guys give me? That is what they are paid to do - entertain me. You don't see a program about me doing design work now do you. Evan's "nuanced" riding is what every rider should and does know, if you get dropped on a climb, keep your own rythem and don't panic. Its your best chance of catching the group. If that floats your boat, you can watch me on every group ride I do.
Old 07-24-11, 09:11 AM
oldmuthariley

Bikes: 2009 BobJackson Vigorelli, 1979 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 1989 Dave Russell 653

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GO CAVENDISH!

I'm just glad we don't have to watch Lance Armstrong anymore...

By the way Phil Liggett is a legend
Old 07-24-11, 09:14 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Originally Posted by iab
I also beg to differ. What you wrote is my definition of riding smart. And without a doubt, Evans rode smart. Still a snore fest. Still took yellow in a very boring and predictable time trial. And I can say that from my chair. You think I give a rat's crap about more than the entertainment value these guys give me? That is what they are paid to do - entertain me. You don't see a program about me doing design work now do you. Evan's "nuanced" riding is what every rider should and does know, if you get dropped on a climb, keep your own rythem and don't panic. Its your best chance of catching the group. If that floats your boat, you can watch me on every group ride I do.
Now you're just being a curmudgeon to the nth degree. These guys aren't paid to entertain you. They're paid to put a bike on top of the podium, no matter what it may take. If you are a cycling fan, you are going to find it to be good sport either way. I mean, what exactly, at this point, would entertain you?
Old 07-24-11, 09:26 AM
iab

Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
Now you're just being a curmudgeon to the nth degree. These guys aren't paid to entertain you. They're paid to put a bike on top of the podium, no matter what it may take. If you are a cycling fan, you are going to find it to be good sport either way. I mean, what exactly, at this point, would entertain you?
Obviously, the term professional is lost on you. To be a pro, you get paid. To get paid, you need revenue. The only sources of revenue for cycling, is sponsorship, or more importantly, television. Television's only purpose is entertainment. If it doesn't enterain me, I turn it off. And for those sporting events that require a ticket (I am partial to hockey), if it doesn't entertain me, I leave the venue.

Without that entertainment THOSE GUYS DON"T GET PAID. Why exactly would anyone watch if it didn't entertain them?

Stage 18 was entertaining. Stage 19 was somewhat interesting but AC's attack was pretty much inconsequential. BTW, golf and bowling don't entertain me, I don't watch either. I will play them on occasion, that can be entertaining.

Do you watch these cyclists to see how fit they are? I mean, what is there other than entertainment?
Old 07-24-11, 09:32 AM
oldmuthariley

Bikes: 2009 BobJackson Vigorelli, 1979 Gazelle Champion Mondial, 1989 Dave Russell 653

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BRAVO EVANS!
BRAVO CAVENDISH!
Long live LE TOUR!
Old 07-24-11, 10:34 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Congratulations! At least your country didn't suck this year . The eurocurmudgeon in me sort of laments the fact that a leprechaun-voiced mountainbiker from the colonies won, but hey, this tour was great, the closest competition in recent decades.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.