Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's the latest on road 1x viability?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-21, 07:07 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 4,862 Times in 3,008 Posts

I'm seriously considering a 1x road setup on my next bike, which until recently was always going to be a compromise on gearing and/or some sort of mtb/gravel bodge up.

But now we have 13 speed Ekar with sensible cassette spacing and also Sram XPLR, does that now swing the balance more in favour of a 1x setup for the average road rider?
I'm thinking it probably does for me. I could go from my current compact double 50/34T x 11-34T to something like 42T x 9-42T with Ekar.

Any reason why I shouldn't take the plunge now the ratios seem more viable?
Old 09-06-21, 08:12 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I don't know the answer. But, here's one guys' take on the comparison of 1X and 2X systems. Hope it helps.

Old 09-06-21, 08:18 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Your current compact double is fine IMO. I would just keep it. But if you're bored it might be a fun project. If you don't have experience at this, Do a lot of research first. It may be easy for a bike mechanic, but for the average cyclist it's not easy.

That said, Since you already have a multi speed road bike. Just make a note of the gear range in gear inches you are most likely to use and add perhaps 10% . Google gear inch calculator for that. Even a basic 9 speed 11 - 34T cassette provides a 3.1x gear range (35 - 105 gear inches) with reasonable spacing on all but the extreme gears.

If you live in a mountainous region with long steep rides, then you'll likely want more range that an 11 speed offers or you're current 2x chainring. But a for few short steep hills and longer low grades the even the most basic 9 speed with the right 1x chainring will do. Also drivetrain efficiency drops fast below 13T on the cassette, The 11T is best saved for fast decents if your bored.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 09-06-21 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-06-21, 09:08 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
If the spacing doesn't bother you and you have the range you need, go for it.

For me, gearing gaps can be pretty frustrating if I'm really pushing myself, so I don't see 1x being a viable answer for me unless it's going to be a bike that'll be ridden a little more casually.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-06-21, 09:24 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
If you want to cha ge for the sake of change- neat. It's a hobby and there is an appeal to trying something new/different.

But its tough for me to come up with a legitimate benefit of 1x for road.
If someone really can't manage to move a finger on their left hand from time to time, they shouldn't be riding a bike in the first place. And if someone can't figure out a general use of 2x, they should look into something more basic like shuffleboard.
When I hear people talking about how they are constantly searching for a gear, it's super confusing. If you are pedaling too fast and easy for your liking, shift to a harder ratio. If you are pedaling too slow and tough for your liking, shift to an easier ratio.
Its that simple.

And if you have a front derailleur that doesn't shift correctly then fix it. Either figure out how to fix it yourself or take it to a shop. The answer shouldn't be that you get rid of a chainring and then slap a goofy big cassette on the rear.

But if you want to try it because it's innovative, makes sense.

Disclosure- I ride 2x on my gravel bike too since it's just a road bike that can more capably handle unpaved roads. The gearing is slightly easier than my road bikes because a larger tire changes gear inches and softer surfaces are a touch more difficult to climb.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-06-21, 09:55 AM
PeteHski

Here's my thinking. I live in a place where the roads are undulating with quite steep dips and rises. Almost no flats worth mentioning. So on a typical ride I find myself constantly swapping chainrings going up and down countless short steep pitches. Or sometimes I just stay on the big ring and power over the rises - which is not very efficient really. Having run a 1x mtb setup for the last 6 years I prefer just clicking up and down the cassette without any dramatic changes. For sure the advantages of a 1x are amplified off-road, but I do like the concept. Now that 1x cassettes have enough range and reasonable steps (Ekar has 1 tooth steps on the 6 highest gears) I'm more tempted than ever to make the switch. I would only do this on a dedicated new build. I'm not motivated to mod my existing bike. So it's not going to cost me anything to change over. It just needs to work!
Old 09-06-21, 09:57 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by WhyFi
If the spacing doesn't bother you and you have the range you need, go for it.

For me, gearing gaps can be pretty frustrating if I'm really pushing myself, so I don't see 1x being a viable answer for me unless it's going to be a bike that'll be ridden a little more casually.
Ekar has 1 tooth gaps across the 6 highest gears and then progressively larger gaps on the lower end. Sounds good to me. Better than my current 2x 11-34 in that regard.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-06-21, 10:02 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
Your current compact double is fine IMO. I would just keep it.
I am keeping it. This is for a new bike. It's fine, but I have to do a lot more chainring juggling than I would like. However well you set up the front mech, swapping chainrings still sucks. It's slow and creates a big gap. One of those things you live with and accept simply because you don't know any better. But I've been spoilt with 1x mtb gearing so now I want the same on my road bike.
Old 09-06-21, 10:10 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
If you want to cha ge for the sake of change- neat. It's a hobby and there is an appeal to trying something new/different.

But its tough for me to come up with a legitimate benefit of 1x for road.
If someone really can't manage to move a finger on their left hand from time to time, they shouldn't be riding a bike in the first place. And if someone can't figure out a general use of 2x, they should look into something more basic like shuffleboard.
When I hear people talking about how they are constantly searching for a gear, it's super confusing. If you are pedaling too fast and easy for your liking, shift to a harder ratio. If you are pedaling too slow and tough for your liking, shift to an easier ratio.
Its that simple.

And if you have a front derailleur that doesn't shift correctly then fix it. Either figure out how to fix it yourself or take it to a shop. The answer shouldn't be that you get rid of a chainring and then slap a goofy big cassette on the rear.

But if you want to try it because it's innovative, makes sense.

Disclosure- I ride 2x on my gravel bike too since it's just a road bike that can more capably handle unpaved roads. The gearing is slightly easier than my road bikes because a larger tire changes gear inches and softer surfaces are a touch more difficult to climb.
I don't know really. Double chainrings certainly made sense with 5 or 6 speed cassettes. But now we have 12 and 13 speed cassettes I'm not so sure why they really need a double? Front mechs are awful things too. Something to get rid of if feasible, which I admit it wasn't until now.
Old 09-06-21, 10:43 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Ekar has 1 tooth gaps across the 6 highest gears and then progressively larger gaps on the lower end. Sounds good to me. Better than my current 2x 11-34 in that regard.
not better than my 12-29 cassette, which has 1–t gaps for 6 gears, and never more than 3t, and with a compact gives me (juuuuuust about) enough range to get up the 1500ft mountains around here. And I’ve had cassettes without that 16, and I do miss it.

I get why people don’t like front shifting, but for me the great advantage of modern wide cassettes and brifters is that you can get through a ride with only a handful of front shifts; basically one downshift per mountain unless it has a very long downhill section.

I have a “some day in the future” gravel bike plan to pair a 42-26 double with a 11-36 9 speed cassette. Big ring on pretty much all paved surfaces, and drop to the little ring when off road.
Old 09-06-21, 10:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I use to think that if one could get the min and max gear ratio needed for the riding one does, then 1x will be great. And I do still think that 1x is great for some, maybe many.

However, what I now realize is that when riding with groups, it's annoying sometimes not to have that perfect gear ratio to allow you the cadence and power you need to comfortably maintain the speed of the group. So a 3x5 bike from the 1970's still might beat a 1x12 from 2021 for allowing you to find a comfortable gear.
Old 09-06-21, 10:52 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
If you are ok with MTB 15% shift sizes and a 100 inch top gear then it’s been viable since 9 speed. 10-46 is only adding range at the margins.

If you want 53/11and two passes through the corncob and the 10t-11t shift looks huge, then no.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-06-21, 11:20 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Looking at the gear calculator, it could really work with Campy's 13 speed cassette, the chainline ought to be pretty straight when going quickly on the flat with that setup. Give it a try and report.

I mean there's always that "bigger chainrings are more efficient" thing but the difference comes out to less than a watt and you lose a chainring and the front mech, so 🤷

If you are super persnickety about gear spacing and want it to be tight when riding slowly, too, then it might not be for you - but the gear jumps when going quickly in the a 80-90 rpm seem just fine.

Could work, why not? I'm happy with 11 speed 50-34 with a 11-30 in the back, but with 13 speed, 1X does seem viable.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 09-06-21, 12:02 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Branko D
Looking at the gear calculator, it could really work with Campy's 13 speed cassette, the chainline ought to be pretty straight when going quickly on the flat with that setup. Give it a try and report.
Yep, that’s what I thought too. Whenever I’ve looked at previous cassette options I’ve always sucked through my teeth and then bottled out.

But I think the Campy 13 speed cassettes are a genuine game-changer here. Not just the extra gear, but the way they are spaced. I would probably go with the 9-42 or 10-44 because I need low gearing for some 25% climbs.
Old 09-06-21, 12:14 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Leinster
not better than my 12-29 cassette, which has 1–t gaps for 6 gears, and never more than 3t, and with a compact gives me (juuuuuust about) enough range to get up the 1500ft mountains around here. And I’ve had cassettes without that 16, and I do miss it.

I get why people don’t like front shifting, but for me the great advantage of modern wide cassettes and brifters is that you can get through a ride with only a handful of front shifts; basically one downshift per mountain unless it has a very long downhill section.

I have a “some day in the future” gravel bike plan to pair a 42-26 double with a 11-36 9 speed cassette. Big ring on pretty much all paved surfaces, and drop to the little ring when off road.
But I couldn’t live with a 12-29 cassette. Climbs are just too steep and I’m sometimes climbing 4000m over 100 miles. So I need a 1:1 low gear for the 20%+ pitches and fatigue. I’d be dead on your gearing! I wouldn’t say no to an even lower gear to be honest.

I was considering the Ekar 9-42 with a 40T chainring. I could always put a larger chainring on for easier flatter rides.
Old 09-06-21, 12:45 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by bruce19
I don't know the answer. But, here's one guys' take on the comparison of 1X and 2X systems. Hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9-en9zMNss&t=511s
He seemed pretty sold on it and I agree with most of his comments. This was before Ekar and the latest SRAM setup too. They address most of the cons I think.

So I’m pretty sold too at this point!
Old 09-06-21, 01:22 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Hmm, maybe. I'd have to punch the numbers in to a gear inch calc and see what gets spit out for various chainrings; I'm currently riding a 12-25t 11-sp, which has one-tooth jumps from 12 to 19, and two-tooth jumps thereafter.
Old 09-06-21, 05:37 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Hmm, maybe. I'd have to punch the numbers in to a gear inch calc and see what gets spit out for various chainrings; I'm currently riding a 12-25t 11-sp, which has one-tooth jumps from 12 to 19, and two-tooth jumps thereafter.
Ekar doesn’t have a cassette that tight, 9-36T is the tightest option. The gaps get quite large at the lower end, but I don’t mind that so much when climbing. I don’t think I’ll lose anything coming from a compact 2x with 11-34T. The gaps are already big on that cassette.