Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Repainted Viner with some original hardware

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Repainted Viner with some original hardware

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-21, 04:22 PM
led

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Repainted Viner Special Professional with some original hardware

I got this Viner today (sorry about shots of other bikes -it's the one with crappy repaint). Not marked but given the stars and the star shaped hole in bottom bracket I figure it was a Viner. So not the prettiest. Given what's still on it and what's replaced is it best to part out or attempt some type of restore. I think it might be from 1973-74 due to the code on the Campy Derailleur. And I think the cutout stars mean it was a Special Professional.

Comments appreciated!

Last edited by led; 08-05-21 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 08-07-21, 07:42 AM
led

So I guess this is worthless since no one has interest in the thread.
Old 08-07-21, 10:32 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
Originally Posted by led
So I guess this is worthless since no one has interest in the thread.
No it does have value. It's just no one has replied. I'll take a closer look.
Old 08-07-21, 12:12 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

the provision on the drive side dropout for the portacatena feature places the frame somewhat later than your proposed date

if a Viviano Nerozzi product, one U.S. agent for the marque at this era was Gus Betat Co. of New Orleans

another manufacturer who made use of the five pointed star cutout around this era was Giuseppe Olmo

-----

Last edited by juvela; 08-07-21 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spellin'
Old 08-07-21, 12:22 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
Are the wheels sewup? Are the hubs Campy, is it 2x6 gearing, has the rear end been respaced to 126? The Modolo brakes a nice but the sintorised pads tear up rims very quickly, I can tell those wheels probably have not been used much with those brakes.

I'm thinking it's closer to 1980 with the dropout used, braze on over the top bb cable guide, single bottle mounts. I do think it is 126 because of the holes in the dropout.

That looks like what I get from the local coop type place for about $60-80 as-is. On Craigslist as-is $125.

I think the frame alone $40-60, wheels if strait and roll smooth (I don't know the make of hubs or rims) $60-80 perhaps more if they are of better manufacture, the shifters and derailleurs combined about $85, brakes and levers $40 at best, handlebars -$15, stem $15, headset if good $30.

i would think as a bike sale it would top out at $225 cleaned and polished, not much more if any.
Old 08-08-21, 08:03 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
My size so if I saw this in the local CL, I’d be thinking refinish project (maybe powder coat) and a lot of work cleaning it all up. $150 knowing I could part it out and make a few bucks if I decided to go in that direction.
Old 08-09-21, 09:45 AM
led

Thanks guys for the responses! The hubs say Maillard 500. The seat stem says Campagnolo. The handlebar stem is Nitto Technomic.
So quite the mishmash of parts. I'd kind of like to see what's under the paint of the frame and maybe re-do it.