Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Deep V's scatch easily?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Deep V's scatch easily?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-07, 10:03 PM
Surferbruce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
first off, find a new mechanic. the manager sounds decent enough, but that mechanic shouldn't be touching bikes. i sure as heck wouldn't let that turd wrench on my bike.
that said...i do typically allow for a tiny scratch once in a while from a shop. it happens and i've seen customers freak out over the smallest imperfections, which is a little lame. it is a bike and occasionally it happens.
if its a wreck, like your rims sound, they need to make it right and then lose a customer (you)
Old 05-02-07, 10:48 PM
chillywater

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy, Beater1, Beater2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I was at a LBS and they offered to scratch my rim with a screwdriver I'd make them a counter offer and then leave without giving them my business again.
Old 05-02-07, 11:12 PM
bobdanger
sometimes i go fast

Bikes: 2.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
id offer to stab him
Old 05-02-07, 11:21 PM
SkyeC
I scream for ice cream.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's like buying a new car and having it presented to you with dents all over the doors and given the explanation, "Well, it's gonna happen eventually. Here, let me slam a shopping cart into it!"

Any decent shop will offer to try to fix the problem, either with a new rim or a discount on some parts. Not a damn screwdriver and whining about the quality of the paint.
Old 05-03-07, 11:53 AM
myAWESOMEbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know why that guy is building wheels. Granted, some spoke counts/4 cross wheels are harder to build and you can scratch the rim if you aren't careful. If you are interested in coloured wheels, try the aeroheads. They are lower profile and probably just as strong. Colored bikes are all well and good, but if you ACTUALLY ride it on a daily basis, reliable, and likely uglier components will be a better use of money.
Old 10-17-10, 03:23 AM
Monkey Face

Bikes: Giant Revolt 2. Velo Orange Pass Hunter flat bar

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 16 Posts
Offer to show him how easily his faces scratches with a screwdriver... that'll give the smug bas***d something to think about.
Old 10-17-10, 03:48 AM
fuji86

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After a few rides and truing process, even the Tec 9's have a few chips here and there. Someday, I figure I'll have to get creative and paint them again. I don't look forward to taping up the part that the tires & brake pad interfaces, not looking forward to sanding them. Guess the best way would be to tear down the rims and go from there to do it as right as aftermarket can. I figure I'll tape the spokes, hubs, rim brake area and tires and spray away with a can of Krylon if they get too bad ?
Old 10-17-10, 08:33 AM
xavier853

Bikes: Pegueot UO8, Tommaso Augusta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't say that they scratch easily but they will scratch when the proper force is applied. This holds true from most rims.
Old 10-17-10, 10:43 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Old 10-18-10, 04:01 PM
UrbanWarfare
U-Lock Warrior

Bikes: Diamond Back Sorrento (Converted to commuter) and a fixed gear from unknown origins (the only thing I know about it is the saddle is Origin 8, everything else is a mystery.)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like it's time for U-Lock Justice!

Man, if you took a car to a mechanic to do a brake job and he scratched up the fenders then he has to pay to get it fixed. Doesn't matter how "thin" the paint is. Just because this cat is a bike mechanic means he can scratch stuff up and it doesn't matter. Make a stink, but don't get to bent out of shape. If they won't pay for the damage they caused find a new mechanic. Look if I went to mechanic and had him replace my saddle and the brand new saddle then had a big tear in it after the work was done and the mechanic said, "Sorry Bro, but Jim Dandy Saddles are susceptible to damage when I use a wrench. Bummer man." He better fix my saddle.

Tell him to fix it, if he says no, then you tell your friends about the shoddy workmanship, and find a new LBS. Word gets around and maybe they will reconsider how they treated their customer.