Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

i hate conversions...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

i hate conversions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-10, 09:05 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
That's a great way to look at it! A good knife can be ruined by inept sharpening, and a good bike can be ruined by inept drewing. But if the end product is a success, and the bike gets ridden and enjoyed, there's nothing wrong with that no matter what the original bike was. If it's a total botch job, then yes, I hate that.
+1
Old 11-02-10, 09:31 AM
jet sanchEz

Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
Try and guess what this used to be; don't look at the file name, you will cry

Old 11-02-10, 09:39 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by sdold
I don't mind it too much until they start butchering up the frame. If they leave the frame intact, at least it has a chance of being a good bike again someday when the fad's over.
I don't even care if they butcher the frame. It's not my bike. If I want to control what happens to other people's bikes, I'd better be prepared to buy all these bikes to protect them. There are two problems with that though: 1. I don't have that money; and, 2. If I owned all those bikes, it would keep them off the road and no one would be riding them.

Short of that, I have to realize that it's none of my bidness. Looking at it that way keeps my blood pressure down.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-02-10, 09:43 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Exactly.
Old 11-02-10, 09:55 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
Try and guess what this used to be; don't look at the file name, you will cry

Well, I took your bait. Pretty ironic that someone would take something that's known for flamboyant graphics and paint it battleship gray. But then again, ironic is hip. Does it raise my blood pressure? No, but it does make me roll my eyes a little. That doesn't really distinguish it from the aesthetic choices that lots of people make about all kinds of things, or a lot of music that gets (IMHO) way too much airplay. As far as the whole fixed gear fad goes, it's never the fixed gear part that bothers me.
Old 11-02-10, 11:41 AM
BluesDaddy
I got 99 projects

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Do you burn with anger at the person who did this?

...or this?

I don't see what the big deal is. The person who owns the bike should be able to do with it as they wish. It does not seem that there is any shortage of vintage bikes out there; there are enough to go around.
Old 11-02-10, 12:04 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
Sixty Fiver was not the first person to decoupage a bike frame.
Nope... but I was inspired by seeing some really nice (and even nicer) work.. unlike many of those bikes sold on fleabay.

People have asked me if I could do this for them but 25 hours of work at my usual rate has deterred them from proceeding any further.

The bike is a '73 Raleigh Gran Sport so besides being pretty, she's pretty light, and is not a garage queen... when I got my Ron Cooper I retired the Gran Sport from geared status and turned her back into a fixed gear and dressed up her shabby paint and almost non-existant graphics.
Old 11-02-10, 12:14 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
BD, Two very good examples of modifications that make some collectors pull their hair out!

Modifying a bicycle (a car, a motorcycle, or a rifle) is a tradition in itself. It enhances an owner's appreciation and displays individuality, not a bad thing if the bike would otherwise rust in a basement or garbage dump... in hard to find original condition.

Brad
Old 11-02-10, 12:20 PM
wrote4luck

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Six 13, 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've seen these people butcher some nice bikes over the past 7 years or so. I did score a lot of the "throwaway" parts they didn't want, as I was friends with some of the hipster crowd. I had a nice pantographed Ciocc super record crankset I got for free, then sold on eBay for $175.
Old 11-02-10, 02:37 PM
tashi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Well, I love em:

You keep on hatin' if you like, I'll be enjoying my bicycles.

EDIT: Can we just turn this into a "Post your vintage conversion" thread?

Last edited by tashi; 11-02-10 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-02-10, 03:00 PM
prettyshady

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bradtx
Modifying a bicycle (a car, a motorcycle, or a rifle) is a tradition in itself. It enhances an owner's appreciation and displays individuality, not a bad thing if the bike would otherwise rust in a basement or garbage dump... in hard to find original condition.

Brad
I agree with this, but I don't like to make or ride ss/ff conversion. After over 10 years of riding bmx my legs love it when I change gear!

I do love the ways bikes are free to be personalised and I find most bikes are intresting to look at.
Old 11-02-10, 03:02 PM
theschwinnman
Roadie in Training

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tashi
EDIT: There's really nothing interesting to say about this topic, can we just turn it into a "Post your vintage conversion" thread?
Sounds good.

Old 11-02-10, 03:04 PM
red sox junkie
lurking. . . lurking. . .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
i like it as long as its done respectably. (ie no cutting off braise ons)

-the frameset is being used (not wasted)
-it is 100% reversible
-it can be done to look classy

at the end if the day its no worse than shimano an italian frame (in my book)
+1
Old 11-02-10, 03:20 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Like I said before, I have no desire to ride a fixed gear bike, but I've spent a lot of time looking at the bikes in the Fixed Gear Gallery. They're much more interesting to me than most restorations.
Old 11-02-10, 03:28 PM
michael k

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Okee dokee

Old 11-02-10, 03:39 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
prettyshady, I like the ability to shift and wouldn't convert to a SS/FG, but I enjoy the work of some of those that have. Kind of like a low rider car, I don't want to build one, but can appreciate the engineering and art work.

Brad
Old 11-02-10, 03:53 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
Originally Posted by banjo_mole
The worst joke is the crummy wheels on the nice bike.
I disagree. The worst part is the lack of brakes. Some think that the fixed gear provides enough braking. It doesn't.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-02-10, 04:01 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Originally Posted by noglider
I disagree. The worst part is the lack of brakes. Some think that the fixed gear provides enough braking. It doesn't.
+1
The only exception I see is pure track racing. Fixed gears that are ridden on the street should at least have a front brake, IMO.
Old 11-02-10, 04:03 PM
canyoneagle

Originally Posted by michael k
Okee dokee

Nice bike. I think a nice set of fenders would finish it nicely.
Old 11-02-10, 04:31 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
I agree. A front brake on a fixie is adequate. The fixed gear is about as good as a back brake.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-02-10, 04:39 PM
funkflex
"Shake n Bake!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It doesn't bother me much. Some things do make me scratch my head, but if it's your bike, do with it as you please. I personally don't like running around trying to be captain save a bike. That's the main part of owning something, it allows you do whatever you want with it.
Old 11-02-10, 04:52 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I drewed an mid level motobecane a while back. It has swiss threading and a french fork... my ex had left it in a snowbank for a while. I figured it was a prime candidate for fixed gear. It's not garish or anything, and it might end up being much nicer than its predigree would suggest. Besides, if the fixie trend dies down there will be lots of cheap brooks saddles on the used market eh!
Old 11-02-10, 05:41 PM
chadwebster

Bikes: Centurion Ironman Expert, Bianchi Sport SX, SR Pro Racing, Vitus 979, Cannondale mountain bike, Schwinn Prologue TT Bike, Litespeed Tuscany, Principia Rex Pro (frame broke), Rossin (model unknown), Litespeed Classic, Schwinn prelude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cinco
While Drewing a frame is nearly inexcusable, it still bugs me to see things like that Bottecchia. I've dedicated many (many!) hours to finding original parts to reassemble original bikes and people who do that sort of thing just make my job harder than it has to be. The only quasi-organized ride in my town draws a number of FG types and the other week some kid showed up on a very nice Lotus made from Columbus tubing that had been converted. I told him that it used to be a very nice bike before somebody took it apart. Things are a bit different for things which have no particular historical value* or are acquired as a bare frame, of course.

I guess I just feel like anything which is going to outlast me can't really be considered to be "mine". Because of that I try as much as possible to preserve those little pieces of history for whomever ends up with them a hundred years from now. If all I wanted was a Bottecchia frame, I'd be set. But if I wanted a Bottecchia that thing wouldn't cut it. How long before no more original Bottecchias exist?

*Yeah, I know.
this is what i was getting at, there are quality fixed gear frames available for far cheaper than this and serve that purpose better. Im 16, and i dont like seeing classic bikes modified lke this because soon enough there will be no more originals left, and while it was not drewed, it is unlikely it will be turned back into a road bike after this, and if it ever does get switched back, it will be a pain to find original parts ect
Old 11-02-10, 07:01 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
My hacked, sanded and painted fixed-gear/single-speed conversions from the Velo Cheapo contests:

First contest before:

First contest after:

Second contest before:

Second contest after:

Neal
Old 11-02-10, 07:31 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
if someone drewed a herse or a curly hetchins or a bike Merckx raced that would make my heart sink a bit. 9 times out of 10 though I couldnt care less what people do to their bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.