Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sweaty 1950s? Cinelli info

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Sweaty 1950s? Cinelli info

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-23, 07:04 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by cinelliguy
It is my understanding that the Cinelli front office (accounting/operations) told the frame builder what serial number should be stamped on the bottom bracket. The framebuilder did what they were told. One would think that management would follow some standard GAAP procedures but in the case of Cinelli, that was not the case in general. Many serial numbers out of sequence for various reasons, reasons we may never nail down.

Cozze whynot, capiche?
No one can figure out and fake if only they knew, if the numbers mean anything.

konakai you are one lucky b*************ikeforums member... congrats! I would strangle for such a bike

Last edited by Lattz; 01-06-23 at 07:08 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 01-06-23, 07:14 PM
cinelliguy 

Bikes: 57 ExpressWerke, 58 CinelliB, 62 CinelliB Altenberger, 70 Cinelli SC, 76 Masi, 77 Colin Laing, 78 Ritchey, 80 Jack Taylor, 82 Appel, 82 Davidson, 85 Ironman, 92? Andy Gilmour, 04 Peter Johnson, 91 Ed Litton, 11 Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 133 Posts
This is a quote from Mark Petry, smart and knowledgeable guy on Cinelli and serial numbers.

"What we don't know is how long bikes or subassemblies hung on the hook before being shipped from Milan. The multiple ranges of serial numbers suggests to me at least that there were multiple subcontractors assembling frames for Cinelli. When orders came in, frames came off the hook or were ordered from the subs. So it's really hard to know "when it was made" and guesses based on the derailleur date stamp or other tells are speculative. "

Just sharing another thought as to why serial numbers are this way...
Likes For cinelliguy:
Old 01-07-23, 11:34 AM
gbi

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
Those frogs appear smitten with your Cinelli, perhaps the color has something to do with that.
The frogs have good taste, nice bike!
Old 01-07-23, 02:37 PM
konakai

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
Another question. Are the dropouts Simplex or Campagnolo?
campagnolo
Old 01-07-23, 04:20 PM
cinelliguy 

Bikes: 57 ExpressWerke, 58 CinelliB, 62 CinelliB Altenberger, 70 Cinelli SC, 76 Masi, 77 Colin Laing, 78 Ritchey, 80 Jack Taylor, 82 Appel, 82 Davidson, 85 Ironman, 92? Andy Gilmour, 04 Peter Johnson, 91 Ed Litton, 11 Bianchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by iab View Post
campagnolo

Cinelli started phasing out the Simplex dropouts after the introduction of the Campagnolo Gran Sport derailleur in 1953. So, 1953 +
Old 01-07-23, 05:56 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iab View Post
campagnolo

Cinelli started phasing out the Simplex dropouts after the introduction of the Campagnolo Gran Sport derailleur in 1953. So, 1953 +
No. Model Bs were using Simplex as late as 1960. Also, the lozenge logo wasn't phased out until 55/56. So again, I'm sticking to 55-58, unless the badge is 51mm, then 58-60.
Old 01-07-23, 06:08 PM
cinelliguy 

Originally Posted by iab
No. Model Bs were using Simplex as late as 1960. Also, the lozenge logo wasn't phased out until 55/56. So again, I'm sticking to 55-58, unless the badge is 51mm, then 58-60.
I concur. I have requested additional images from the owner. Not received them yet. My comment about the Campagnolo dropout branding was an attempt to baseline no older than 1953. I own a restored 56/58 with Simplex dropout and with the lozenge logo. The restoration was "supposedly" a duplication of what was originally on the bike decal wise.
Old 01-07-23, 07:49 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
It is my understanding that the Cinelli front office (accounting/operations) told the frame builder what serial number should be stamped on the bottom bracket. The framebuilder did what they were told. One would think that management would follow some standard GAAP procedures but in the case of Cinelli, that was not the case in general. Many serial numbers out of sequence for various reasons, reasons we may never nail down.
Taxes.
Likes For repechage:
Old 01-08-23, 01:15 PM
konakai

I concur. I have requested additional images from the owner. Not received them yet. My comment about the Campagnolo dropout branding was an attempt to baseline no older than 1953. I own a restored 56/58 with Simplex dropout and with the lozenge logo. The restoration was "supposedly" a duplication of what was originally on the bike decal wise.
guy, here are the pics requested, i know my cameras not very good. the badge is 2 and 3/16 which comes out a little under 56 mm

Likes For konakai:
Old 01-08-23, 01:55 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

here is a somewhat clearer transfer as seen on this Clement wood rim which is contemporaneous with the cycle's dural ones -

-----
Old 01-08-23, 02:06 PM
konakai

Originally Posted by hazetguy
Cool bike, but I'm trying to figure out what "sweaty" is referring to in the thread title.
sweaty by my definition, just means as found, a little or a lot crusty, with patina thats hard to duplicate. an old bike buddy said that to me years ago, i knew exactly what he meant. of course what's one person's sweaty or crusty is another's trainwreck. do I wish this bike was in better condition...sure but I appreciate that it survived. will i restore or repaint the bike...no.kind of like people some of us have some hard miles on us and low upkeep. there i said it i like sweaty bikes
Likes For konakai:
Old 01-08-23, 02:34 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Personally, I'd just clean & lube the bike, get a proper stem & bars and call it a day.
Likes For iab:
Old 01-09-23, 12:15 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by konakai
guy, here are the pics requested, i know my cameras not very good. the badge is 2 and 3/16 which comes out a little under 56 mm

With that ~56mm headbadge measurement, iab's 1955-58 estimate is looking better and better.

In this photo, I can't read what the top sticker/decal says due to the combination of wear and glare. Can you read it? I bet it says "Mod. B" or "Model B" but I can't be sure. (A Super Corsa or Speciale Corsa would say "Mod S.C.")

Thanks for all the extra photos, BTW. It means more drool on my t-shirt, but it's the price one must pay to gaze upon such wonderfulness.
Old 01-09-23, 01:41 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
This isn't the CR list so I'm giving it an 'atta-boy'!!
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 01-11-23, 04:33 AM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 133 Posts
Faded Glory

sweaty by my definition, just means as found, a little or a lot crusty, with patina thats hard to duplicate. an old bike buddy said that to me years ago, i knew exactly what he meant. of course what's one person's sweaty or crusty is another's trainwreck. do I wish this bike was in better condition...sure but I appreciate that it survived. will i restore or repaint the bike...no.kind of like people some of us have some hard miles on us and low upkeep. there i said it i like sweaty bikes
I would ease the word "sweaty" out as a general term to describe a bike that has sat unmolested for decades. Since so many bikes suffer from salt damage, sweaty has an entirely different connotation to most people who would be reading this website, and words are tools of social communication with others, "Barn find," "patina," "as found" all describe this bike very well but its lack of anything beyond superficial corrosion is one of the things that is making others drool--hopefully not on your sweet find, as then it really will become sweaty.

Those cranks look right to me, just what I would expect on a Mod. B from this vintage. Congratulations on a fantastic score. It is exactly what many of us hope to find as we scan Craigslist ads.
Likes For sbarner:
Old 01-11-23, 08:24 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
An amazing bike, congratulations on a solid score!

If it was to go into a museum, I'd keep it as is. If it's a bike I plan to ride, I would do a full restoration, and get that thing back to looking like it did the day it left the factory. I hate "patina" (also known as dirt, rust, wear and tear) on rideable bikes.
Old 01-11-23, 10:01 AM
konakai

Originally Posted by smd4
An amazing bike, congratulations on a solid score!

If it was to go into a museum, I'd keep it as is. If it's a bike I plan to ride, I would do a full restoration, and get that thing back to looking like it did the day it left the factory. I hate "patina" (also known as dirt, rust, wear and tear) on rideable bikes.
thanks, glad you like the bike. as I said earlier what one person's I won't use the word sweaty...patina is anothers trainwreck. i would never restore this bike, to me it would lose its character. you hate patina, while i dont hate restored bikes, I appreciate the beauty of a well done restoration, it's just not my thing. I realize some bikes are too far gone, and the only way up is a restore. I appreciate these battle scarred beauties that show their character and sometimes unfortunately abuse
Likes For konakai:
Old 01-11-23, 01:36 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
thanks, glad you like the bike. as I said earlier what one person's I won't use the word sweaty...patina is anothers trainwreck. i would never restore this bike, to me it would lose its character. you hate patina, while i dont hate restored bikes, I appreciate the beauty of a well done restoration, it's just not my thing. I realize some bikes are too far gone, and the only way up is a restore. I appreciate these battle scarred beauties that show their character and sometimes unfortunately abuse
Again?, Exactly this.

When they wear it well as this one truly does, its a rolling testament to its journey and can only be preserved as is at this place and time.

So long as keeping it as is does no harm it can live on until something dictates more drastic action.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-11-23, 01:50 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Sure, I get it. But I'd sure love to see that gloss teal and chrome gleam in the sun!
Old 01-11-23, 04:00 PM
cinelliguy 

Originally Posted by merziac
Again?, Exactly this.

When they wear it well as this one truly does, its a rolling testament to its journey and can only be preserved as is at this place and time.

So long as keeping it as is does no harm it can live on until something dictates more drastic action.
Total agreement. Absolutely.

Guy Apple
Redwood City CA
Likes For cinelliguy:
Old 01-11-23, 07:23 PM
grumpus

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
sweaty by my definition, just means as found, a little or a lot crusty, with patina thats hard to duplicate.
But I suspect that to most cyclists "sweaty" is how they'd describe a bike that's spent years on a turbo trainer, so corroded along the top tube and surrounding area.
Old 01-19-23, 12:32 AM
sfazio 

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX10, 1977 PX-10, 1978 Peugeot UE8, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P15-9, 1970 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Centurion Ironman, 2012 Trek Madone 4.5

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 44 Posts
Great find, can't wait to see it cleaned up.
Old 01-19-23, 08:47 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 965 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

here is a somewhat clearer transfer as seen on this Clement wood rim which is contemporaneous with the cycle's dural ones -

-----
At sometime I would like to make a set of burnables. I have all the tools, some jigs would needed for clamping, rounding, and drilling. Charles over at Wright Bros. has a set wooden, I haven't taken a real close look. Charles says they were manufactured with finger board joinery. If I were construct I would probably go with Pecan, or hard maple, a very stable stock would be required.
Old 01-19-23, 08:48 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Gah I'm jealous. I generally don't like patina either but this one will clean up nice enough and, as they say, it's only original once.
Old 02-02-23, 04:26 PM
konakai

cleaned up the chrome a bit, switched bars, stem and brake levers. now it's got that I won't say sweaty, as found look

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.