Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

CRIT Racing Frame Suggestions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

CRIT Racing Frame Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-23, 02:55 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by Keefusb
It has been many years since I did crits, but I would say go with the Giant Aluxx if it fits you well. I saw many crumpled Cannondale frames sitting around after crit races.

I would look at crit racing almost like dirt track car racing, You are going to feel terrible the first time you wreck a nice Cannondale or a Pinarello. The Giant frame is a quality frame in terms of light weight, crit geometry and handling, and if you wreck and trash the frame, you won't feel so bad.
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
You want cheap and disposable, you’re going to break stuff.
The old saw, that you want a cheap crit fame because you’re inevitably going to brake it, is way overstated IMHO. I’ve raced a 100 plus crits, had several crashes, and never broke a frame. In that time, I’ve seen a few frames of various materials destroyed, but it’s a pretty small fraction of the total number of bikes raced.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-10-23, 05:42 PM
Keefusb
Keefusb

Bikes: 60cm 1992 Paramount, 60cm 1995 Cannondale R900 (son's bike), 1994 Cannondale H300 (mine), 1994 Cannondale H300 Killer V (wife's bike), 60 cm 1989 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra SLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
The old saw, that you want a cheap crit fame because you’re inevitably going to brake it, is way overstated IMHO. I’ve raced a 100 plus crits, had several crashes, and never broke a frame. In that time, I’ve seen a few frames of various materials destroyed, but it’s a pretty small fraction of the total number of bikes raced.
It really depends. If you are racing in Cat 5 and even Cat 4 crits, there are going to be wrecks. It wasn't until I turned 35 and qualified for Masters level crits did I see the number of wrecks level out considerably.
Old 07-11-23, 11:15 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Keefusb
It really depends. If you are racing in Cat 5 and even Cat 4 crits, there are going to be wrecks. It wasn't until I turned 35 and qualified for Masters level crits did I see the number of wrecks level out considerably.
For years I have seen way more wrecks in cat 3 racing than cat 4 or 5. The reality is there is such a huge talent discrepancy in 4/5 racing that most of those that are going to cause an issue can't hang long enough to make it an issue. Crash 3's (cat 3) all think their poop doesn't stink. Enough speed to be a problem and an unwillingness to realize or admit when they don't have the talent to do it safely.

Case in point - Cat 3 Superweek in Evanston.

Guy who wrecks at 10 seconds in is an old bikeforums member

So no...racing cat 5 or cat 4 doesn't necessarily mandate there will be wrecks.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 07-11-23, 12:32 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
For years I have seen way more wrecks in cat 3 racing than cat 4 or 5. The reality is there is such a huge talent discrepancy in 4/5 racing that most of those that are going to cause an issue can't hang long enough to make it an issue. Crash 3's (cat 3) all think their poop doesn't stink. Enough speed to be a problem and an unwillingness to realize or admit when they don't have the talent to do it safely.

Case in point - Cat 3 Superweek in Evanston.

Guy who wrecks at 10 seconds in is an old bikeforums member

So no...racing cat 5 or cat 4 doesn't necessarily mandate there will be wrecks.
I haven’t seen that one yet. Guy in blue playing through. Wow.

You are absolutely correct about the Crash-3’s.
Old 07-11-23, 12:34 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 710 Posts
Enough speed to be a problem and an unwillingness to realize or admit when they don't have the talent to do it safely.
Thread Drift: In the cooperative group cycling skills program I used to coach we would refer to riders with ^^^that combination of (ahem) talents as "weaponized" ...and note, that was over a decade before anyone was using that term to describe the Justice Department!
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 07-11-23, 12:55 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I haven’t seen that one yet. Guy in blue playing through. Wow.

You are absolutely correct about the Crash-3’s.
That was recursive if I recall his screen name correctly. He has a thread/post on here or in the racing forum that covered all the parts and pieces he had to replace that year during Superweek. Included a couple of helmets - many rolls of bar tape, a wheel or two, etc. In contrast I am pretty sure I raced a few of the Cat 4/5 races that year in Superweek and didn't get involved in any crash. Hard to do when you get dropped.

Old 07-13-23, 05:23 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
In contrast I am pretty sure I raced a few of the Cat 4/5 races that year in Superweek and didn't get involved in any crash. Hard to do when you get dropped.
So a few years ago raced a crit in downtown Tampa that was highly technical. Lots of cobbled corners, and some horrible traffic calming devices. The Cat 5 race was last. Bunch of my teammates grabbed beers and headed t the worst spot, expecting to witness mass carnage. The race split up so fast, it was just groups of 2 and 3 going through the pinch points, and no crashes.

We were highly disappointed.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh: