Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

More tubeless stuff

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

More tubeless stuff

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-22, 02:25 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
More tubeless stuff

Okay so I recently finally had a tire failure with tubeless after quite a bit of use in terrain where I'd have had dozens or scores of flats. The sidewall was leaking where it was snakebit by the rim. I had been running very low pressure, probably lower than prudent. The tire was leaking slow enough that I could fill it and ride home, but given that it was pretty much worn out any way I decided to replace it without further efforts.

I decided to go ahead and replace both tires with Kenda Kozmik Lite II Pros. Strangely when replacing the old tires I found the rear one had clear amber liquid where there should have been milk white Stans sealant. The front one had the normal looking liquid, but was almost dry. Both had been tooped up this season. The only thing I know of that I did differently with the rear one was use CO2 to inflate it. So I checked and apparently CO2 GREATLY reduces the life of the sealant. This was only for a couple days and it completely killed the sealant, So beware of using CO2 with sealant! They don't get along well at least for Stans and probably others. That may be common knowledge, but I didn't know and so maybe others don't either so I figured a mention was in order.

I know most of us don't use CO2 on tour any way, but I did around home and found it to be a bad idea with Stan's and probably most other sealants. So just in case anyone wasn't aware, be advised that it is a problem.

Last edited by staehpj1; 08-20-22 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-20-22, 07:15 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
So beware of using CO2 with sealant! They don't get along well at least for Stans and probably others.
News to me. Thanks for posting. I will probably never go tubeless, but I try to keep somewhat knowledgeable on such matters.
Old 08-21-22, 05:14 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
News to me. Thanks for posting. I will probably never go tubeless, but I try to keep somewhat knowledgeable on such matters.
Yeah, I had no idea and was shocked when I popped the tire off and saw clear amber liquid with all the solids gone, apparently solidified in/on the inside of the tire after only a few days of CO2 exposure.
Old 08-23-22, 11:14 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Putting on my chemistry hat, I find any kind of reaction between carbon dioxide and tire sealant to be highly improbable. CO2 is very stable and it takes some very aggressive conditions as well as aggressive chemical to make it react. What you are seeing is probably more physical than chemical.

My first thought is that the CO2 as it was introduced was cold and reduced the temperature of the sealant too much. That’s a bit of a stretch because sealant is made of chemicals that have a fairly low freezing point. CO2 is cold when introduced but probably not that cold.

Another thought is the interaction of CO2, the glycols in the sealant, and the tires. Carbon dioxide is known to diffuse out of tires quickly. This is due to it dissolving in the rubber which other gases don’t do. The glycol in tire sealant also dissolves in the rubber which is why it “dries” out of a mostly liquid proof container. Combined, the CO2 and glycol may flow out of the tire faster than either one alone. The net effect of this increased removal could make the latex precipitate as the liquid glycol keeping it in suspension is reduced in volume.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-23-22, 02:08 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Putting on my chemistry hat, I find any kind of reaction between carbon dioxide and tire sealant to be highly improbable. CO2 is very stable and it takes some very aggressive conditions as well as aggressive chemical to make it react. What you are seeing is probably more physical than chemical.

My first thought is that the CO2 as it was introduced was cold and reduced the temperature of the sealant too much. That’s a bit of a stretch because sealant is made of chemicals that have a fairly low freezing point. CO2 is cold when introduced but probably not that cold.

Another thought is the interaction of CO2, the glycols in the sealant, and the tires. Carbon dioxide is known to diffuse out of tires quickly. This is due to it dissolving in the rubber which other gases don’t do. The glycol in tire sealant also dissolves in the rubber which is why it “dries” out of a mostly liquid proof container. Combined, the CO2 and glycol may flow out of the tire faster than either one alone. The net effect of this increased removal could make the latex precipitate as the liquid glycol keeping it in suspension is reduced in volume.
So thermal shock? That is mentioned by some of the hits in a google search I did. I guess that might be, but it was a pretty large tire and the CO2 was injected at the top of the tire so I doubt it was too severe of a drop in temperature for the sealant with a 29er tire. I don't see liquid CO2 making it to the bottom to hit the sealant so probably not that great of a temperature drop.

The chemistry is over my head, but I do know that CO2 permeates through tires pretty fast despite being a largeish molecule.

I do know that whatever happened it precipitated out all of the latex (or ebough to make the liquid transparent) by the time I removed the tired a couple days later. I guess there is a remote possibility there is some other factor that I am unaware of, but I doubt it.
Old 08-23-22, 02:34 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Without knowing the quantity or active ingredients of the sealant, I can only speculate. So here goes:

It wouldn't take much CO2 to saturate the sealant liquid, which would make it fairly acidic (pH <4 in an aqueous solution). That might be enough either to catalyze polymerization of the sealant. Alternatively, the H2CO3 (carbonic acid) in solution might react to precipitate out whatever is supposed to plug any leaks as carbonate.

But as I say, it's all speculation. Who's buying the beer, and pass me another piece of pizza!