Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

biceps femoris tendinitis -- help?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-07, 09:27 AM
aicabsolut

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

With little to no change in my bike setup, I think I've injured my left biceps femoris tendon. Anyone else have this problem and know what I can do about it? Do I need to see an orthopedist about this or can I rehab it myself with a massage therapist?

I noticed pain at the fibular head after a few rides recently, and it started to get worse. I'm running Look KEO Sprint pedals with the grey cleats. I haven't really changed my training habits. I took almost all of July off, but I've eased back into a routine. It took at least 6 weeks for the pain to show up.

On one ride when it started to hurt and I had a fair amount of climbing to do before I got back home, I tried pointing my toe more inward to use other hamstring muscles more. That seemed to help. Since my cleat was near the replacement point, I think it had worn such that I was riding too toed-out anyway. I changed cleats and the first ride at an easy pace felt fine. I went a little harder yesterday and threw in some more hills, and the pain came back. I don't want to change my cleat position much if at all, because they had been fine in this spot since I put the grey cleats on in May (I used red at first). I had to make a lot of fine adjustments when I first put them on, because my foot or knee would ache from feeling like I was fighting against the pedal to rotate to a natural position until I got them right. I don't want to start that all over again.

I've had to get ultrasound therapy and other physical therapy for the peroneal tendons in the other leg before. I don't know a good doctor or physical therapist here (I've moved). Do I need to find them? Thanks.
Old 09-24-07, 08:38 PM
acid_rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
position

I recommend you check out Andy Pruitt book called Medical Guide For Cyclists.

It could be the Q-Factor or cleat angles or cleat float. Could also be saddle height.
Old 09-24-07, 09:16 PM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All you need to do is get a 5cc syringe, a 25G needle, .25ml of methylprednisone and .5ml of 1% lidocaine. Draw it up and inject just lateral to the tendon at the bicipital groove.
Likes For save10:
Old 09-24-07, 11:25 PM
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was running last year and developed a nasty case of this. The best thing to do is sit out for a few months. Maybe you can pick up swimming or something?
Old 09-25-07, 05:01 AM
redirekib
I ain't no newbie

Location: The Goddard Institute - Area 51-Skunk Works Division - Space Age Materials Lab
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by save10
All you need to do is get a 5cc syringe, a 25G needle, .25ml of methylprednisone and .5ml of 1% lidocaine. Draw it up and inject just lateral to the tendon at the bicipital groove.

Sign me up Doc.
Old 09-25-07, 09:22 AM
aicabsolut

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acid_rider
I recommend you check out Andy Pruitt book called Medical Guide For Cyclists.

It could be the Q-Factor or cleat angles or cleat float. Could also be saddle height.
I'm thinking I strained it by doing a difficult ride while too toed-out due to the cleat wear. I might try rotating the cleat to be more toed-in for a little while so that I don't engage that hamstring as much and see if I start fighting against the outside of the shoe.

I did much more difficult training in May and June with the same bike setup and no pain. No pain in August. That's why I think it relates to going too long on a cleat that was unevenly worn (my stop/start foot, with a lot of rides through traffic).

Now that it's screwed up, what to do? I don't swim (or run). That's why I bike. Cycling and horseback riding were pretty much the only land activities my doctor approved after an ankle injury. And even then, he advised that I not wreck or fall off.

Do the steroid injections work for tendon injuries? My last orthopedist (I've moved) kept refusing to give me shots. Wait..that didn't sound right.
Old 09-25-07, 02:18 PM
v1k1ng1001
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only thing I've ever found to work is two or three months of rest. Tendonitis in your hamstring is annoyingly persistent and painful. It will keep coming back until you rest it thoroughly. Running is not advised but I bet Yoga will speed your recovery.
Old 07-26-23, 05:01 PM
Modo21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How did you end up sorting this out? Im experiencing what sounds like a similar issue and am a bit devastated as I’ve yet to figure it out.
Old 07-26-23, 06:21 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
192 months of rest should have taken care of it
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-26-23, 07:26 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
IIRC they had to amputate. Check the Adaptive Cycling section.
Old 07-26-23, 10:10 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 1,046 Posts
Still a basic therapy would be steroid Injection, rest, compression, physical therapy modalities...

This is a pretty common injury of those who walk down hill. Its called "loosing your down". That's why in San Francisco you occasionally see people walking down hill backwards. Of course now days they do much stranger things in SF...