Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

First fixed gear build done

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-09, 09:07 AM
jamesl
Tinkerer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I've "mostly" finished putting together an early '70s Raleigh Record as a fixed gear. Some small tweaks needed, but I've ridden it a couple miles and it feels great. This bike was in rough shape when I found it. I painted it with Dupli-Color auto touchup products after masking off the existing orange sections. I also created new decals using ink-jet printer water-slide decal paper. They came out okay.

When I had it apart I weighed the bare frame at 6 lbs 1 ounce The bike weighs in at 22.5 pounds as it sets, with steel seatpost and stem. I could probably lose a few more ounces by replacing those and the leather seat, but it's already the lightest bike I've ever ridden.

Gearing is 44 tooth up front to 18 in back, which yields 66 gear inches. If I were doing it again, I would go with a 21-22 on back and a stock 50 road bike front. Still, the gearing is pretty great for the flats and some modest hills.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
raleigh right okay.jpg (102.1 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg
raleigh rear.jpg (99.8 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by jamesl; 08-17-09 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-17-09, 09:15 AM
rogwilco
snob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is the chain really rusty or does it just look like it on the photo? I'm pretty it needs more tension though.
Old 08-17-09, 09:15 AM
onespeedy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks great, I have always liked the white with red panels.

Enjoy
Old 08-17-09, 09:21 AM
Noobert
I am Noobert.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup, first thing I thought was the chain was rusted out

And with your wheel ALL the way back in to the drops, id say you need to resize your chain
Old 08-17-09, 10:15 AM
jamesl
Tinkerer

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm embarrassed to admit that's orange paint overspray on the chain, not rust. I was excited about going for a first ride and grabbed the first piece of chain that was handy. Like I said, it still needs a few tweaks -- like a new chain...

Sooo, a little photoshop smudging to hide the evidence..

Last edited by jamesl; 08-17-09 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-17-09, 10:25 AM
rogwilco
snob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ah, ok.
The chain still needs more tension though.

And maybe you could think about a slightly more "aggressive" handlebar-setup too, a different stem especially?
Otherwise I like it a lot.
Old 08-17-09, 10:42 AM
mondaycurse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, the stem looks weird with the bullhorns, but it's probably just what was on hand.
Old 08-17-09, 11:22 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Looks pretty great to me, especially for a first effort.

The paint and graphics are the main thing because everything else is much easier to fix or replace. A bike like this tends never to be really "done". I'm constantly making little tweaks here and there. Nobody but me probably notices most of them.
Old 08-18-09, 02:26 AM
bicycleptic
epilepsy advocate

Bikes: Specialized Rockhopper, Cannondale touring bike, Cannondale Black Lightning and a Cannondale Capo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love the old 80's brake levers with the cable coming out the top.
They make the old 80's center pull brakes look in place.
Between them and the loose chain, plastic wal-mart pedals, the worn seat, the one reflector on the rear wheel and the high rise stem I would say this would be a great bike to depend on in NYC. You wont even need a lock as long as there is another bike parked within a block.

Be sure you get the paint off the chain though. That would be considered rad by the hipsters and the bike would get stolen out from under you.
Old 08-18-09, 05:18 AM
jamesl
Tinkerer

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Chain has been replaced and is nice & tight. The very comfy leather seat, levers and brakes are all original to the bike. After a couple rides I definitely see the need for clips or toestraps to keep my feet securely on board, so the pedals have to go. I like the height on the bars now, but the stem puts them out too far -- I feel stretched out so I will be looking around for a stem that brings the bars in closer.

All n all, riding fixed is a different experience that will take some getting used to. Starting, stopping and going down even small hills has been an adventure.
Old 08-18-09, 02:41 PM
kyselad
extra bitter

Bikes: Miyata 210, Fuji Royale II, Bridgestone Kabuki, Miyata Ninety

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesl
Chain has been replaced and is nice & tight.
Make sure it's not too tight. Over-tightening can be just as bad or worse than under-tightening, especially if your chainring is a bit out of round; it can bind up and wear down the drivetrain in a hurry. It's okay to have some slack, despite what you'll often read/see on this forum.
Old 08-18-09, 02:53 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3235 Post(s)
Liked 3,882 Times in 1,442 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesl
I've "mostly" finished putting together an early '70s Raleigh Record as a fixed gear.
I was very amused to see the word mostly here. I loaded this thread to deny your claim that you were done.

I declared my first build "finished" back in April. The only parts still on the bike from that incarnation are the frame, fork, saddle, brake levers and brake calipers.
Old 08-18-09, 03:53 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Its nice...beside the stem and pedals.
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 08-18-09, 04:03 PM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
hahaha nice avatar ilikebikes
Old 08-18-09, 04:04 PM
Pharcyder1406

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Something really has to be done about the stem/handlebars/brake lever combo you have going on there. It looks very awkward and the black is out of place (should be polished imo). And the pedals... but you knew that.
Old 08-18-09, 04:22 PM
jamesl
Tinkerer

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I was very amused to see the word mostly here. I loaded this thread to deny your claim that you were done.
Ha, is any project ever "done"? I'm on vacation this week and have had some time to play in the garage. Since posting my note yesterday, I've changed the chain, pedals, brakes, stem and handlebars. And then I remembered a 700c coaster brake wheel I had. Since it also has an 18 tooth cog, I put it on the bike in place of the fixed wheel. Now I'm trying to decide which I prefer, fixed or a simple single speed with coaster brake. Fun stuff!

Last edited by jamesl; 08-18-09 at 04:35 PM.