Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Unknown Zullo project

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Unknown Zullo project

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-18, 11:24 PM
Cibi42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Unknown Zullo project

hi all, new here, but been learning a lot through the forum. So thanks already for sharing your knowledge.
i got myself a new little project bike, a late 80s-early 90s Zullo in ok condition, ie no rust and the chromes are not pitted.
As i’m new i can’t post pictures yet so i’ll have to use a thousand words and ask for your patience before you can see it.

my main question to start with is what model and year?

Iit came up with plastic pedals and a big fat comfy seat, most parts have been changed so not much original to date from. Now has a triple Campagnolo veloce crankset, shimano ultrega front derailleur, shimano STX rear derailleur, some nice wheels but look pretty recent).

The only original components are probably the Campagnolo shifters

- Front tube has the stylized cycling man, and Zullo Italy engraved
- Fork is full chrome, z embossed on the tops, with traces of Columbus decals, Campagnolo dropouts
- Rear brake cable routing goes in the horizontal tube
- Traces of yellow decals with an angular typography on tubes
- Traces of Zitto’s signature decal on top tube near seat post
- Rear triangle (chain stay and the diagonal tube up to the seat tube) fully chrome on both sides, with z embossed on each side near top
- Rear brake bridge (right terminology?) is flat with Z embossed
- Bottom bracket cup (?) is cinelli, embossed Zullo Italy (no model name)
- Campagnolo dropouts
- Campagnolo shifters and headset

Red

Even like this (i changed the saddle), it’s a lovely ride

I will try a post pictures as soon as i can, but if from this cryptic description you can guess a date and model, that would be great - and impressive

thanks

Old 08-29-18, 05:28 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Well, this will be a tough one until we see pics I think, but there are some real good detectives around here.

Sounds like an upper tier frame, so I don't doubt it has a nice ride.

Do you know what kind of tubing it has? I think the sticker would be on the lower seat tube. My guess is Columbus SL, which is top notch. You can check by measuring the seat stem. If its 27.2 its SL.

What are your plans for the bike? Full re-build?
Old 08-29-18, 05:47 AM
Cibi42

Tough without pics, i know.
and there is no surviving decals to help me with the tubing neither...
i will do it up, but not sure exactly which components yet, probably some 90s groupset i can afford rather than a contemporary upgrade.
Old 08-29-18, 06:31 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

If you go to Zullo's web site, he has a very nice gallery of his old steel bikes. Maybe you'll see yours there.
Old 08-29-18, 08:06 AM
Cibi42

Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
If you go to Zullo's web site, he has a very nice gallery of his old steel bikes. Maybe you'll see yours there.
i had a look, as well as one of the old catalog online.
unfortunately there’s no exact match. The main difference are the cable routing (which might just be a period element), and the embossing on the bottom cup
It looks a bit like the air but that’s mostly because of the full chrome back triangle.
Old 08-29-18, 11:19 AM
Cibi42

He he he, looks like I can finally share some pictures of it, but they are massive...
You can see it's certainly not pristine, but it's not rusty, more well used

Old 08-29-18, 11:39 AM
Giacomo 1 

Looks pretty high end to me.

It also was likely a commuter bike judging from the fat saddle and plastic pedals you said came with the bike along with all the scratches. Hipster by any chance? Lol

I think she'll make a great rider once you sort the mechanicals and update some of the consumables. It wouldn't be easy, but are you going to try and touch up the paint or just clean it up and ride it?
Old 08-29-18, 06:22 PM
Cibi42

Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
Looks pretty high end to me.

It also was likely a commuter bike judging from the fat saddle and plastic pedals you said came with the bike along with all the scratches. Hipster by any chance? Lol

I think she'll make a great rider once you sort the mechanicals and update some of the consumables. It wouldn't be easy, but are you going to try and touch up the paint or just clean it up and ride it?
The lady who sold me the bike told me it belonged to the son of a friend of hers who used to compete in the Provincial team. That would explain the change of some components (3 rings and corresponding derailleur) and the fact that she put some cheap pedals and a comfy seat on it.
I'm not quite sure which way I should go for the components, I'm leaning towards reverting it back to a matching late 80s groupset...
The first step will be to clean it up and ride it straight away until I accumulate the components. I'm not set on the paint yet, it's not damaged enough to needing a full repaint and I quite like the original traces. Once it's cleaned up and freshen up it will be easier to get an idea of the state of it.

I would love to know more about model and year to be able to match the components better (within reason and budget dependent...)
Old 08-30-18, 08:13 AM
dunrobin

Bikes: colnago titanio oval master, pinarello treviso es, centurion prestige, tomac ti 26er, lemond buenos aires, mbk 753, vitus 992 and zx1, rocky mountain hammer disc,bd century titanium, specialized venge expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
That's a really nice frame. I'm sure its gonna be a really nice rider once you sort out the mechanicals.
Old 08-30-18, 09:06 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Cibi42
Tough without pics, i know.
and there is no surviving decals to help me with the tubing neither...
i will do it up, but not sure exactly which components yet, probably some 90s groupset i can afford rather than a contemporary upgrade.

Nice Zullo.
I just got a 1990 Zullo frame and am in the same process.

I think you'll find that period-correct used components in good condition are every bit as expensive as good quality new components. I've decided to do a modern build on my frame.
In my research, I found that Dura Ace 7400 and 7700 (and Campy Record/Chorus 8/9 sp) were all hitting in the $400-800 range for partial to full build kits.

Conversely, you can get NOS 11 speed Athena (while it lasts) from a couple of Ebay sellers for about $650, and 2018 Potenza for about $700-800 from online sellers. I coughed up a few hundred extra and got 2018 Chorus, since I am wanting to hang on to my bike for the forseeable future.

Finally, try sending an e-mail (with photos and Serial No) to Zullo himself. I got a direct reply from him when I inquired about my frame. Serial number should be on the bottom bracket shell - be sure to snap a photo for Zullo - it will help them identify any info they may have on the frame.

Here's the site: https://www.zullo-bike.com/ e-mail contact info is on the Contacts page.

All the best! I look forward to following your build journey!
Old 08-31-18, 03:23 PM
Cibi42

Thanks.
Canyoneagle, that's a really nice classic frame you found! I love that paint scheme and the details
The dura ace and old campy would be great, I prefer their aesthetic to the new smooth designs, but it's a conundrum with the price of new groups. Interesting that you can find such comparable prices for new ones. Looks like it's all above my budget at the moment so might just have to build with not quite matching groupset until I can find the right parts (at least not quite as mismatch as currently).

I did send some pictures to the Zullo workshop but haven't anything back, maybe I got too excited and sent them too many pics, and I didn't include the serial number though so might follow up. Would love to know the history and tubing of that frame, and would be fun to have an email from the builder himself!