Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cheapman Finds a $25 Bike!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cheapman Finds a $25 Bike!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-21, 09:25 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
It doesn't really work that way. There is no equivalence in the riding experience.

Like saying why buy a $25,000 touring sedan (think, Honda Accord) when I can buy 50 cars for $500 each, and simply discard them as they stop running. The diving experience? Um, not so great.

TRue freedom is not being married to those pesky car payments, (or worse, the discipline it would take to save up for a cash money new car deal ) or even a pride of ownership that would make me want to invest in a garage. Plus, when the greasy thing under the hood at the front of the car stops makinmg noise, i simply leave it on the shoulder of the road and hit Pat and Charlie to the next $500 deal. Because insurance, tags and registration is expensive, i dont do them, so there are never any repercussions to me just leaving my old cars laying about and besides the money i save on those trivialities helps me buy my next one !

.................. Oooooooooohhhh ! I see one now! Looks like a Ford Festival with mismatched tires, hail damage and some mystery stains on the upholstery ---- but theres a Ariana Garande CD case in the floorboard - maybe i'll get lucky and itll still be in there !

(tongue in cheek response --- which also begs the question - what does tongue in cheek actually mean? Surely its not a make out session by the light of the moon )
Old 05-17-21, 09:58 AM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
These responses are interesting. Without even riding this bike, the majority just "know" it's a horrible bike that runs poorly and that every pedal-stroke is just sheer misery. You guys are hilarious. You know so much without really knowing anything.
Old 05-17-21, 10:00 AM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

[QUOTE=alcjphil;22063136]Just trying to wrap my head around the amount of work (and money) needed to make 40 $25 bikes rideable. Would rather have a bike that I can ride as much as possible[/QUOTE
I made the one rideable after 30 min. So I guess 20 hours amortized over at least 40 years. That's probably a lot less time than most of you regulars spend on this board!
Old 05-17-21, 10:02 AM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

I think it just kills some of you to think I'm enjoying a $25 bike as much as a $1500 Surly or $3000 road bike!
Old 05-17-21, 10:04 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by LifeNovice1
[
I made the one rideable after 30 min. So I guess 20 hours amortized over at least 40 years. That's probably a lot less time than most of you regulars spend on this board!
What are the odds that 40 $25 bikes would need an average of 30 minutes each?
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 05-17-21, 10:06 AM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
Rough concrete works well as a file for things like brake pads.

Great idea!
Old 05-17-21, 10:11 AM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

Originally Posted by alcjphil
What are the odds that 40 $25 bikes would need an average of 30 minutes each?

Probably better odds than most corksniffing naysayers on here would think! Especially if you...oh I don't know...actually look over and inspect the bikes before buying them.
Old 05-17-21, 10:13 AM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

Originally Posted by Chuck M
You get what you pay for and there is no need paying for more than you need I guess. Bikes make people happy and if you can do it for 25 bucks more power to you.
Thanks! I agree 100%

I'm certainly not saying it's as good as a 1000 or even 500 dollar bike. It's got plastic brake cable adjusters, cheap plastic pedals, probably the cheapest derailleur Shimano makes. I bought it more to see how long a bike this cheap lasts if I put 10-20 miles a week on it. Maybe it will be garbage in a month! I just get irritated by people who just "know" it's unrideable without knowing where I'm riding it or where it's being ridden and I can't help some of the naysayers feel a little threatened that their dogma is being challenged a bit.

Last edited by LifeNovice1; 05-17-21 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-17-21, 10:33 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I've picked up plenty of bikes for free over the years that were easily made ridable for little to no dollars and time. Some were actually pretty nice, especially the Schwinns.

Here's one of my free bikes, but there have been dozens more. Greased the bearings, oiled the chain, filled the tires and rode for years. Then sold it for $25.

LifeNovice1 How about posting a pic of your $25 bike?

Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 05-17-21, 10:43 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
These responses are interesting. Without even riding this bike, the majority just "know" it's a horrible bike that runs poorly and that every pedal-stroke is just sheer misery. You guys are hilarious. You know so much without really knowing anything.
Personally, I didn't comment on your bicycle at all. Not familiar with it, I cannot say whether or not it fits your needs. You say that you're happy, and that's fine.

I commented on the false economy that 40 such finds, over a lifetime of riding would be equivalent to the experience of riding a better bicycle. It isn't for most. I chose the Honda Accord because of its availability. Almost everyone has ridden in a new Accord or Camry and understands the value proposition that these cars offer. Most of us have also driven inexpensive, almost discarded cars at one point in our lives. Many of us fixed them up as our first car, or did the same for a grown child. Those cars were functional and generally safe enough. But the suspensions would be shot, the bearings questionable, transmissions dying, etc.

Anyway, don't preach a false economy that stretches beyond your present experience. That's my point.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 05-17-21, 10:56 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
It doesn't really work that way. There is no equivalence in the riding experience.

Like saying why buy a $25,000 touring sedan (think, Honda Accord) when I can buy 50 cars for $500 each, and simply discard them as they stop running. The diving experience? Um, not so great.
More like comparing a second-hand Yugo to a new Honda Accord. But yeah, I get you.

I think it just kills some of you to think I'm enjoying a $25 bike as much as a $1500 Surly or $3000 road bike!
Have you owned a $1500 Surly or a $3000 road bike? I haven't read the entire thread, so am not sure.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-17-21, 10:56 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,229 Posts
There is a reason the Mechanics Forum always has more members signed-in and more guests lurking!

Sometimes how much one spends on a project reveals how much they value that project. Cycling isn't valued highly by lots of people.
Old 05-17-21, 11:14 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
,,,notoriously frugal individual...Some spokes seem looser than others...

Being a cheap bastard over the years there have been allot of things that I have unfortunately ignored when ridding. Loose or un-tuned spokes and wheels is no longer one of them. Two times I have had a near catastrophic failure due to ignored spokes. Both times I luckily was not moving fast and was not in traffic. Recheck those spokes/wheels.

I think its " A-OK" that you are on an affordable bike. Most of us have been there. The thing is to ride. A thousand dollar plus bicycle hanging on the wall is just another piece of furniture. A beater bike on a down hill run can put bugs in your teeth... Happy Happy... Joy JOY!!!
Old 05-17-21, 11:29 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Clunker 100 Challenge COVID 2.0 edition #7 - Bike Forums

Here's a good thread to compare what is possible for under $100. Most members in The Clunker Challenge have learned to wrench their own bikes.
Old 05-17-21, 11:33 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Clunker 100 Challenge COVID 2.0 edition #7 - Bike Forums

Here's a good thread to compare what is possible for under $100. Most members in The Clunker Challenge have learned to wrench their own bikes.
I've not looked closely at that. Are they allowed to use parts from their "stash"? If yes, (unless they got it free or are accounting for the costs) that's cheating.
Old 05-17-21, 11:50 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I've not looked closely at that. Are they allowed to use parts from their "stash"? If yes, (unless they got it free or are accounting for the costs) that's cheating.
I have not participated, but -
The rules are simple. Every 'new' part gets assigned a value. Honor code. Play honorably.

Detailed rules usually laid out in first few posts. Max of $100 spent on a bike you ride 100miles, and presumably many more. Note for original poster - one doesn't have to recklessly spend $100 to participate.
Old 05-17-21, 11:56 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Originally Posted by Wildwood
I have not participated, but -
The rules are simple. Every 'new' part gets assigned a value. Honor code. Play honorably.

Detailed rules usually laid out in first few posts. Max of $100 spent on a bike you ride 100miles, and presumably many more. Note for original poster - one doesn't have to recklessly spend $100 to participate.
Thanks WW. I think I'll check it out.
Old 05-17-21, 12:37 PM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

Love that thread! I have seen bikes tossed in the dumpster pile at my county dump but unfortunately they were surrounded a lot of sharp rusty objects. I may have to revisit those bikes. It would be great to fix them up and donate some. We live in such a throwaway society these days.
Old 05-17-21, 12:54 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,759 Posts
Brakes squeal like a ***** pig.... ​​​
I don't have personal experience with bestiality so I'll have to take your word for that. However, many might find your description offensive. IMO it trivializes both **** and abuse of animals. Maybe you can do better next time.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-17-21, 01:59 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Koyote
Have you owned a $1500 Surly or a $3000 road bike? I haven't read the entire thread, so am not sure.
I’m still curious about the answer to this question.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-17-21, 02:29 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
It looks like your standard department-store hybrid. I seriously doubt most of us here would classify it as 'lightweight,' but at least it doesn't have suspension to weigh it down even more. It's only got 7 speeds, so that means less fiddling with derailleur and cable adjustments. The brakes need to be toed in to stop the squealing. The squealing is caused by the arms twisting as the pad is pulled forward and the trailing edge is the only bit of the pad in contact with the rim. The trailing edge grabs, releases, and grabs again, all at a fairly high frequency, resulting in the familiar sound. You want the leading edge to hit the rim first and not let the arms twist enough to have the leading edge leave the rim until you let off the brakes. Cheap arms twist more than good alloy, forged arms; so cheaper brakes require more toe-in than more expensive ones. If you don't have enough room, you might have to undo the cable, toe them in, then re-adjust the cable.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 05-17-21, 02:53 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I don't have personal experience with bestiality so I'll have to take your word for that. However, many might find your description offensive. IMO it trivializes both **** and abuse of animals. Maybe you can do better next time.

doesnt have to be a bestiality thing at all

I saw a retriever dog i am dog sitting try to mount up and do the hunchgoblin to one of my mini pigs --- although technically a "mini" my Chloe girl weighs about 120 ---- that dog wont soon be trying that again
Old 05-17-21, 03:11 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,543 Times in 7,329 Posts
Not me. I spend my money on things that will do what I want them to do. Those racks alone have a replacement value of around $450. I doubt you will ever have this much enjoyment on a bike.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-17-21, 03:38 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I doubt you will ever have this much enjoyment on a bike.

Gauging enjoyment of others is a stretch.
Personally, I never got much enjoyment if I got soaking WET on a tour.
But we almost never enjoyed skies like that in a coastal California summer.
Old 05-17-21, 03:53 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Not me. I spend my money on things that will do what I want them to do. Those racks alone have a replacement value of around $450. I doubt you will ever have this much enjoyment on a bike.
I doubt that the OP even knows what he's missing.
Likes For Koyote:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.