Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-21, 10:03 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagebicycle
I bought all four for $120.
I've noted this before, but here in Glorious NYC $120 wouldn't get you the one.
Old 04-03-21, 10:07 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

I don't imagine there's an easy way to shift the crown race on my Rudge fork up a couple inches, but I figure it's worth asking. (So I could raise the chrome cap to paint over the rusted spots.)
Old 04-03-21, 10:08 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghostknife
Question for you English 3 speed Guru’s. I have the original seat bag for the Sports but both leather straps for closing the top were brittle and broke off.

Is it worth it to get some new straps sewn on or just get a new bag?
Man, this could be worse than a tire thread. If the bag is in good shape it would be worth a little trouble and expense to make it usable again. Others will say toss it, and others still will suggest you toss it their way.
Old 04-03-21, 11:32 AM
Ghostknife

Bikes: 14 DiamondBack Interval Carbon, 14 Specialized Fatboy Expert, 08 Specialized Langster London, '78 Raleigh Sports

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Man, this could be worse than a tire thread. If the bag is in good shape it would be worth a little trouble and expense to make it usable again. Others will say toss it, and others still will suggest you toss it their way.
lol I don’t need to start a big debate, just looking for honest opinions. Here’s the bag, in good shape, thinking a couple new straps and I would be good to go. Guess I’ll get some quotes.

Also took it out for the maiden voyage this morning. Need some adjustment on the shift cable tension.

Likes For Ghostknife:
Old 04-03-21, 02:27 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
lol I don’t need to start a big debate, just looking for honest opinions. Here’s the bag, in good shape, thinking a couple new straps and I would be good to go. Guess I’ll get some quotes.

I would just take that bag to my local shoe repair shop and get it fixed. While I wait if they're not too busy.

Edit: LOL or just send it my way

Last edited by FBOATSB; 04-03-21 at 02:32 PM.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 04-03-21, 03:17 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
I would just take that bag to my local shoe repair shop and get it fixed. While I wait if they're not too busy.

Edit: LOL or just send it my way
That is actually a damn good idea. I just had my wifes 3-pin cross country ski boots fixed at a local shoe repair/tailor shop. I have a bag that needs repair and I think I'll ask them for a price.
Old 04-03-21, 04:08 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
This thread is dangerous. I'm already really considering @Ged117's Superbe to finally pacify my fetish for a green 1950's full-chaincase Superbe, and now all these early 1980's Sports showing up make me want to modernize another one.

Incidentally, has anyone ever seen a 1980's Sports with a 25 inch frame? The '80 and '81 catalog show both 24" and 25" frames as part of the lineup. I've seen a Sprite from this era in that size, but not a Sports.

-Kurt

Old 04-03-21, 04:49 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Originally Posted by cudak888
This thread is dangerous. I'm already really considering @Ged117's Superbe to finally pacify my fetish for a green 1950's full-chaincase Superbe, and now all these early 1980's Sports showing up make me want to modernize another one.

Incidentally, has anyone ever seen a 1980's Sports with a 25 inch frame? The '80 and '81 catalog show both 24" and 25" frames as part of the lineup. I've seen a Sprite from this era in that size, but not a Sports.

-Kurt
I have not perused the catalogs but have never seen a Sports larger than 23" (and I have one gents' and one ladies'), and I have seen the taller Sprites.
Old 04-03-21, 07:38 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 288 Posts

Also took it out for the maiden voyage this morning. Need some adjustment on the shift cable tension.

I've got an old bag around here that could use some fixin'.
Old 04-03-21, 07:39 PM
Ghostknife

Bikes: 14 DiamondBack Interval Carbon, 14 Specialized Fatboy Expert, 08 Specialized Langster London, '78 Raleigh Sports

Originally Posted by gster
I've got an old bag around here that could use some fixin'.
.... I’m not gunna touch that one.... lol
Old 04-03-21, 09:52 PM
oldspokes

Bikes: more than 20

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
I've noted this before, but here in Glorious NYC $120 wouldn't get you the one.
I'm a couple hours out of NYC and about an hour out of Philly, there's bikes all over for sale that don't sell, even for cheap.
There's a half dozen used bike guys around here with rows of beach cruisers and old three speeds for sale and nothing seems to move.
All last year I listed about 8 bikes, two sold, one was a Sprite 27 the other a Schwinn Collegiate 5 speed. I had a pair of what looked to be never ridden Raleigh LTD models in 23" frames that Iisted for $200 obo all year, One finally sold to someone who drove here from Virginia, the other sold to someone who was here visiting relatives over the holidays.
There doesn't seem to be any shortage of bikes here at all. The only issues lately have been getting parts, mainly tires. The cost of tires has gone up 5 to 7 times what they were before last spring. That cost increase seems to mostly be at the dealer level because the wholesale prices haven't gone up nearly as much, some not at all with minor back order issues.
What I've run into locally is dealers who won't stock or order vintage tire sizes, they will only order one at a time which ads shipping charges to every order.
Old 04-04-21, 05:10 AM
Ghostknife

Originally Posted by oldspokes
I'm a couple hours out of NYC and about an hour out of Philly, there's bikes all over for sale that don't sell, even for cheap.
There's a half dozen used bike guys around here with rows of beach cruisers and old three speeds for sale and nothing seems to move.
All last year I listed about 8 bikes, two sold, one was a Sprite 27 the other a Schwinn Collegiate 5 speed. I had a pair of what looked to be never ridden Raleigh LTD models in 23" frames that Iisted for $200 obo all year, One finally sold to someone who drove here from Virginia, the other sold to someone who was here visiting relatives over the holidays.
There doesn't seem to be any shortage of bikes here at all. The only issues lately have been getting parts, mainly tires. The cost of tires has gone up 5 to 7 times what they were before last spring. That cost increase seems to mostly be at the dealer level because the wholesale prices haven't gone up nearly as much, some not at all with minor back order issues.
What I've run into locally is dealers who won't stock or order vintage tire sizes, they will only order one at a time which ads shipping charges to every order.
My local dealer, Hamilton’s bicycles in Richmond MI, seems to always have a the 26x1-3/8 in stock but I don’t remember the brand of tire. He doesn’t change his prices very much. It’s hard to tell if all this is coming from factories being shut down due to Covid or companies taking advantage of the situation. Either way it stinks.
Old 04-04-21, 07:05 AM
paulb_in_bkln

I am startled to hear this. I think last summer's bike shortage here actually got some national news coverage. You couldn't find a bike to buy, new or used. Bike shops were open as essential businesses but after April or May supply disappeared. People in lockdown, or "lockdown," had more leisure time and wanted to go riding, and people who had to go to work wanted to avoid public transit (no connection between riding the buses or subways and Covid was ever established). Vintage three-speeds were pricey before the pandemic. I'm always embarrassed to mention here what I paid for my two.
Old 04-04-21, 07:13 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Bought a couple Chinese tires by CST in 26x1-3/8, online. Model name is Classic Breaker. A terrible name. I have no idea what's up with that. I don't want a tire that breaks my classic. But so far so good. I'd bought some Kendas I liked from Harris, but they were a limited purchase and were all gone when I needed a couple new tires. The Schwalbe blackwall Delta Cruisers, there were none to buy. I wish Panaracer would offer the Ribmo in this size.
Old 04-04-21, 07:25 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

I think its fair to say that these bikes that we collect/restore have a limited appeal to the general public and they'd rather go to Wal-Mart etc and buy a shiny piece of junk that will barely last 2/3 years.
My neigbour gave me her not so old box store bike last week and I said I'd fix it up and find a suitable home for it.
What a piece of junk! Rusted fasteners/chain, cables all siezed, front suspension siezed , seat post stuck etc.
She did leave it outside.
The quality of British chrome is amazing.
The new/crap bikes are already rusting on the showroom floor.....
Old 04-04-21, 07:37 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

I did some dumpster diving at the co-op this week and came home with some 26 x 1 3/8" Continental City Ride tires as spares for my Sports. Knew about this tire but had no idea it was available in this size, so it might be worth your consideration. Labeled as "Puncture Protection" and they have reflective strips on the sidewalls. I looked them up online and they're available--whatever that means these days--from several sources and they're reasonably priced.
Old 04-04-21, 09:07 AM
paulb_in_bkln

I did some dumpster diving at the co-op this week and came home with some 26 x 1 3/8" Continental City Ride tires as spares for my Sports. Knew about this tire but had no idea it was available in this size, so it might be worth your consideration. Labeled as "Puncture Protection" and they have reflective strips on the sidewalls. I looked them up online and they're available--whatever that means these days--from several sources and they're reasonably priced.
These are GREAT tires. My ladies' Sports came with them and they lasted and lasted and lasted. I'd love to know where you found them for sale, my searches came up with nil.
Old 04-04-21, 09:09 AM
paulb_in_bkln

I don't imagine there's an easy way to shift the crown race on my Rudge fork up a couple inches, but I figure it's worth asking. (So I could raise the chrome cap to paint over the rusted spots.)
Mountain from a molehill. Gave it a few taps, it popped right off.
Old 04-04-21, 09:42 AM
gster

A pair of his and hers @ $600.00
These often tend to be lightly used.
Bought to get in shape, ridden for a month or so and
then relegated to the basement...
Old 04-04-21, 09:43 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Mountain from a molehill. Gave it a few taps, it popped right off.
Good. I always start with tapping a sharp knife blade around it until you can get a safe purchase with a screwdriver. Never destroyed a fork or crown, yet anyway. Tap them back down with the appropriately sized pvc or copper pipe.
Old 04-04-21, 10:08 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

I'd love to know where you found them for sale, my searches came up with nil.
Well, I saw them listed and foolishly assumed they are readily available.
Old 04-04-21, 10:40 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Well, I saw them listed and foolishly assumed they are readily available.
You did great. The Contis were on my Sports when I bought it at least six years ago and I ride the bike around the city a lot. I replaced them with the CSTs last week. The Contis still had plenty of tread, but were so soft I was starting to get a lot of flats.
Old 04-04-21, 10:42 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

23" ladies' frame, rare nameplate, ancient baby seat, FIFTY bucks. What's not to like?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...49998259555406

Old 04-04-21, 10:52 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Originally Posted by gster
I think its fair to say that these bikes that we collect/restore have a limited appeal to the general public and they'd rather go to Wal-Mart etc and buy a shiny piece of junk that will barely last 2/3 years.
The same people I know who (no mistake have limited means) will gab about the vacation they've just booked, the latest gaming console they ordered on the first day, the new car someone in the family has just bought, and the new, larger TV each year, are shocked and annoyed that a good bike will set them back around $700. It must drive bike shop owners nuts.
Old 04-04-21, 03:46 PM
gster

The same people I know who (no mistake have limited means) will gab about the vacation they've just booked, the latest gaming console they ordered on the first day, the new car someone in the family has just bought, and the new, larger TV each year, are shocked and annoyed that a good bike will set them back around $700. It must drive bike shop owners nuts.
$700.00 sounds about right for a decent new bike.
Of course I'd rather spend $100 on a vintage 3 speed and another $100 fixing it up.
But fixing things is currently out of style.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.