Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Hernia Surgery

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-16, 03:09 PM
Nstoltzner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hernia Surgery

Finally bit the proverbial bullet and got surgery done on my umbilical hernia 2 weeks ago, which turned out to be 2 and not just one. Long story short the doc said a month post-op I can start riding lightly which was a pretty tough definition as she has never ridden a bike outside of childhood. My question is if anyone has gone through a similar surgery and gotten back on the bike? I will, of course listen to the Doctor's advice but I have no idea if taking it easy is 2 miles or 10.

Thank in advance,

Nathan S.
Old 06-09-16, 03:20 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I had my inquinal hernia fixed, I was in bed for 1 week. Drove to work the next week, then biked to work the following week. Didn't feel 90%-100% until after a month or two.

There are many threads about hernia surgery on bike forums, I'd google for them.

EDIT:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 06-09-16, 03:30 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
I had hernia repair surgery early this past winter, but mine was open mesh repair for an inquinal hernia which I gather has a much longer recovery time. My surgeon told me no riding for a minimum of two to three months post surgery. I waited three months then started up again, but I wasn't ready even at that stage. By one month later (that would have been March of this year) I was able to do some gentle riding, but I still really had to take it easy.

Now I'm feeling mostly rehabbed from the surgery. I still have to pay attention to my body, but I feel like I'm pretty close to being back to normal.

In contrast, one of my co-workers just had laparoscopic repair of an umbilical hernia. He's back on his bike one month post surgery and seems to be doing alright.

I would advise starting out very slow and gentle, then see how you feel the next day or so. For me, the biggest challenge was the fact that I didn't get much immediate feedback while I was riding, but later that night I could be in some pain if I overdid things. So, slow and gentle. Literally keep your first ride to a mile or two, no hills no pushing. Just see if the riding posture and pedaling feels alright, and see if you still feel alright the next day.

Slowly up your miles and intensity, but don't be shy about backing off or taking a break if you need to. The good news is you'll get fully back to scratch eventually.
Old 06-09-16, 03:33 PM
corwin1968

Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Timely thread as I have a surgical consult for an umbillical hernia a week from today.
Old 06-09-16, 04:21 PM
Nstoltzner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by winston63
I had hernia repair surgery early this past winter, but mine was open mesh repair for an inquinal hernia which I gather has a much longer recovery time. My surgeon told me no riding for a minimum of two to three months post surgery. I waited three months then started up again, but I wasn't ready even at that stage. By one month later (that would have been March of this year) I was able to do some gentle riding, but I still really had to take it easy.

Now I'm feeling mostly rehabbed from the surgery. I still have to pay attention to my body, but I feel like I'm pretty close to being back to normal.

In contrast, one of my co-workers just had laparoscopic repair of an umbilical hernia. He's back on his bike one month post surgery and seems to be doing alright.

I would advise starting out very slow and gentle, then see how you feel the next day or so. For me, the biggest challenge was the fact that I didn't get much immediate feedback while I was riding, but later that night I could be in some pain if I overdid things. So, slow and gentle. Literally keep your first ride to a mile or two, no hills no pushing. Just see if the riding posture and pedaling feels alright, and see if you still feel alright the next day.

Slowly up your miles and intensity, but don't be shy about backing off or taking a break if you need to. The good news is you'll get fully back to scratch eventually.

Thanks for the feedback. Mine was also laproscopic with being able to ride to ride a month post op (in 2 more weeks) just want to make sure that I don't push myself too hard. Pre-surgery I ended up pushing it and having a bit of bleeding internally so I wanted to ensure that I don't do the same thing again.
Old 06-09-16, 04:23 PM
Nstoltzner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corwin1968
Timely thread as I have a surgical consult for an umbillical hernia a week from today.
Corwin,

If it is giving you issues like mine was, you will feel MUCH better post-surgery. My experience is that I wish I had someone there to help for the first 2-3 days or so due to not being able to really bend or get up off from a lowish surface I.E A couch without a ton of trouble. Overall it was a great experience and a huge relief from the nausea and pain I had prior.
Old 06-09-16, 04:44 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Nstoltzner
Thanks for the feedback. Mine was also laproscopic with being able to ride to ride a month post op (in 2 more weeks) just want to make sure that I don't push myself too hard. Pre-surgery I ended up pushing it and having a bit of bleeding internally so I wanted to ensure that I don't do the same thing again.
Yeah, I would strongly advise really taking it slow to begin with. You really don't want to mess up this repair surgery!

If you've got medical clearance go for it, but listen to your body, give yourself recovery time and slowly increase your distance and intensity.

I will say one thing: my hernia and surgery seem to have been much more severe and problematic than most. I mean, I really wasn't ready to ride 3 months post surgery, which seems to be just about unheard of. But I can't begin to describe the joy I felt when I recovered enough to ride regularly: I was free again!
Old 06-09-16, 04:56 PM
Nstoltzner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by winston63
Yeah, I would strongly advise really taking it slow to begin with. You really don't want to mess up this repair surgery!

If you've got medical clearance go for it, but listen to your body, give yourself recovery time and slowly increase your distance and intensity.

I will say one thing: my hernia and surgery seem to have been much more severe and problematic than most. I mean, I really wasn't ready to ride 3 months post surgery, which seems to be just about unheard of. But I can't begin to describe the joy I felt when I recovered enough to ride regularly: I was free again!
I am dying not being able to ride. I started back in February and it has become a burning passion, I was losing weight, gaining muscle. Then this fiasco happened, can not wait to feel the freedom that you have once again.
Old 07-23-16, 08:32 AM
perodero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What Does a Hernia Feel Like

Finally bit the proverbial bullet and got surgery done on my umbilical hernia 2 weeks ago, which turned out to be 2 and not just one. Long story short the doc said a month post-op I can start riding lightly which was a pretty tough definition as she has never ridden a bike outside of childhood. My question is if anyone has gone through a similar surgery and gotten back on the bike? I will, of course listen to the Doctor's advice but I have no idea if taking it easy is 2 miles or 10.

Thank in advance,

Nathan S.

Hi Dude!

What Factors trigger Hernia?
Factors such as age, smoking, obesity are three primary factors known which can develop Hernia. Other factors which are equally important as primary factors can be:
  • A personal or family history of Hernias
  • Weak muscles or any injury which causes damage to the muscle
  • Pregnancy
  • Lifting and extensive coughing
Read more click here: What Does a Hernia Feel Like?

Thanks

PeroDero
Old 07-24-16, 06:35 AM
corwin1968

Corwin,

If it is giving you issues like mine was, you will feel MUCH better post-surgery. My experience is that I wish I had someone there to help for the first 2-3 days or so due to not being able to really bend or get up off from a lowish surface I.E A couch without a ton of trouble. Overall it was a great experience and a huge relief from the nausea and pain I had prior.
I was fortunate in that my hernia was non-symptomatic. I am off in the summer and given my size, it was only going to get bigger and require more major surgery so I opted to take care of it now instead of waiting until next summer, or longer.

I had the surgery on July 5th (today is July 24th) and I feel 99% recovered and I'm dying to ride my bike. My surgeon said I could do stationary bike at 2 weeks and real bike at 4 weeks. Odd. I'm going to stick to the 4 week rule just because I don't want to take any chances, although I can't fathom how it could hurt. Luckily, my bike has a flat tire and I HATE changing tires/tubes so that's incentive to just leave it alone.

The really bad part about being off the bike is that it gives me more time to convince myself that my current bike isn't "the right one" after all and I need a different one!
Old 07-28-16, 08:06 PM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
I had inguinal hernia surgery and I just listened to the doc, the last thing you want to do is make the recovery longer. Take it easy, your legs will come back.
Old 07-28-16, 08:09 PM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
Oh yea here is my history on herehttps://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/982098-inguinal-hernia.html
Old 07-29-16, 11:29 AM
Nstoltzner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was fortunate in that my hernia was non-symptomatic. I am off in the summer and given my size, it was only going to get bigger and require more major surgery so I opted to take care of it now instead of waiting until next summer, or longer.

I had the surgery on July 5th (today is July 24th) and I feel 99% recovered and I'm dying to ride my bike. My surgeon said I could do stationary bike at 2 weeks and real bike at 4 weeks. Odd. I'm going to stick to the 4 week rule just because I don't want to take any chances, although I can't fathom how it could hurt. Luckily, my bike has a flat tire and I HATE changing tires/tubes so that's incentive to just leave it alone.

The really bad part about being off the bike is that it gives me more time to convince myself that my current bike isn't "the right one" after all and I need a different one!

Wanted to chime in here. I am fully recovered and doing 20 plus mile rides no problem now!
Old 08-04-16, 02:17 PM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Just noticed this thread.
I have the same surgical consult later in August.
Didn't even know that I had an umbilical hernia, but my primary care doc spotted while doing a very quick check-up.
Scheduling the repair might be a challenge.
Old 08-04-16, 02:20 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,255 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedskater
Didn't even know that I had an umbilical hernia, but my primary care doc spotted while doing a very quick check-up.
Get it Done and enjoy your rides.

Old 08-04-16, 03:49 PM
Nstoltzner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recommend getting it done ASAP. My single hernia actually turned into 2 hernias which took me off work for 2 weeks with a 3 day hospital stay.
Old 08-05-16, 07:03 AM
Speedskater

I have not yet meet the surgeon. Seems to be a busy doctor, with a 5 week wait for a first appointment. Yes, the primary care doc, covered the things that can go wrong with this type of hernia. I'll check back after the appointment on Aug 25.
Old 08-05-16, 11:33 AM
Nstoltzner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have not yet meet the surgeon. Seems to be a busy doctor, with a 5 week wait for a first appointment. Yes, the primary care doc, covered the things that can go wrong with this type of hernia. I'll check back after the appointment on Aug 25.

Hope all goes well for ya!
Old 08-05-16, 12:02 PM
corwin1968

Good luck with your surgery! They wheeled me into the OR a little after 7:00 am and I was home by 11:30. I had significant soreness when bending over and sitting up for about 2 days and it quickly receded from there. After a week my stomach still felt like it does the day after doing situps....just a little sore.

If your surgeon doesn't mention a mesh, be sure and ask if it's appropriate for your circumstances. My surgeon said a simple sutured repair has near 50% chance of recurring but a mesh only has a 15% chance of recurring.
Old 08-25-16, 02:19 PM
Speedskater

I saw the surgeon this morning. My two windows of opportunity are just before Christmas and mid-April. He is good with either. Surgery schedule time is 3 weeks (that's half of first appointment schedule time). He pointed out that if things go belly-up, it's a quick operation and can be scheduled sooner.
By coincidence he was expecting me. Yesterday my wife went to the hospital to visit a member of her church group who just had surgery the day before. Yep, the same doctor.
Old 08-25-16, 03:15 PM
Nstoltzner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw the surgeon this morning. My two windows of opportunity are just before Christmas and mid-April. He is good with either. Surgery schedule time is 3 weeks (that's half of first appointment schedule time). He pointed out that if things go belly-up, it's a quick operation and can be scheduled sooner.
By coincidence he was expecting me. Yesterday my wife went to the hospital to visit a member of her church group who just had surgery the day before. Yep, the same doctor.
Glad to hear it. It really isn't a terrible surgery. I go for my 4 month follow up next Tuesday but feel amazing overall.
Old 12-22-16, 07:21 AM
Speedskater

So my window of opportunity arrived Wednesday. I had the umbilical hernia surgery in the afternoon and got super-glued back together. Now 18 hours later I feel good, maybe too good.
The only complication was, my wife was in Florida visiting her brother in the hospital. Tuesday arriving at the Orlando airport, she found out the a blizzard in Denver canceled flights all over the country. So my daughter-in-law had to fill in. To make things more interesting, her car broke-down Tuesday so now she has my wife's car. She didn't want my 6 speed stick-shift car.
As a side note, I gained 4 pounds since yesterday morning.

Last edited by Speedskater; 12-22-16 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-22-16, 12:33 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I had 2 Inguinal and one Umbilical hernias repaired on Nov. 22. I am still not on the bike. One incision got infected because the superglue didn't allow the wound to drain properly. It has been a real pain.

That said, I hope to ride this weekend. I have a 63 mile birthday ride to get in after the first of the year.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 12-22-16, 01:04 PM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had two inguinal hernias repaired at once, mesh with laparoscopy. 2 weeks after surgery went to the doc for a check up. 2 weeks after that returned to work. One month after, light exercise. One month later, good to go with no issues. Besides the repair of the hernia, there is a bunch of stuff the doc tunnels through with the laparoscope. I waited three months to ensure everything healed. My Doc agreed. Do what your says and you'll be fine.
Old 01-09-17, 11:50 AM
Speedskater

A quick follow-up on my Umbilical hernia surgery three weeks ago. It went extremely well, 2½ hours after they wheeled me into surgery I was home eating a cheeseburger. Zero pain near the incision. At the 15 day follow-up, we spent more time talking about his ski-trip to Colorado than the procedure. I'm free to do what-ever I want including sit-ups.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.