Old 10-07-20, 01:13 PM
car knocker
Bicyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Crossing the C&D canal

Planning a short tour for November. Park the car on Kent Island,ride to Chesapeake City,ride east on the canal to Delaware City,cross back over and return to the car. I see 4 high bridges to use, Rt.213 has a sidewalk and Rt.13 looks like it has a bike lane. Anyone know if bikes are allowed to cross these bridges? I also read there is a seasonal ferry at Chesapeake City but I doubt that's available. Thanks,Paul
Old 10-08-20, 04:02 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
If you don't get a response here, try sending email the White Clay Bicycle Club in DE at info@whiteclaybicycleclub.org. I did one of their rides years ago, they can probably give you accurate info. I'm pretty sure the St. Georges bridge (Rt. 13) is still fine - the car lanes were reduced from 4-2 and the bike lanes put in years ago, but I don't know the current condition or what the Chesapeeake City/213 bridge is like - the White Clay folks should have better info.
Old 10-09-20, 02:50 PM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Here are few links with maps that might help. The first link has 3 maps including the Newcastle map should help with the C&D planning. Plus there is a Delmarva Bicycle Trail map
https://deldot.gov/Programs/bike/bik....shtml?dc=maps

Delaware greenways:
https://www.delawaregreenways.org/tr...thways/maps-3/

Plus there is a Delmarva Bicycle Trail map
Order here:
Maps can be ordered by calling 410-213-2297 or emailing outreach@mdcoastalbays.org.
Old 11-11-20, 03:34 PM
car knocker
Bicyclist

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Follow up of the crossing

Originally Posted by car knocker
Planning a short tour for November. Park the car on Kent Island,ride to Chesapeake City,ride east on the canal to Delaware City,cross back over and return to the car. I see 4 high bridges to use, Rt.213 has a sidewalk and Rt.13 looks like it has a bike lane. Anyone know if bikes are allowed to cross these bridges? I also read there is a seasonal ferry at Chesapeake City but I doubt that's available. Thanks,Paul
The tour was great,the weather fantastic. We crossed the 213 bridge from Chesapeake City going north. I met my stoker at the staircase and we used the sidewalk from there. Riding on the canal towpath then to Delaware City. Then we crossed back over on the Rt.9 bridge,which is devoid of traffic and has stunning views. All in all a great area to spend time tandeming in.