Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

WebbWorks Thia Silk bamboo frame

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-20, 05:40 AM
Sexy_Lugs

Bikes: WebbWorks Bamboo Thai Silk, Motobacane Ti, Trek Remedy 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Good morning!

i picked up this bike at a swap meet for a screaming deal and could not find much info on personal opinions of the company or the frame. Any of you ridden one or any frame by the company? Here are some pics to drool over, I know I have!

Likes For Sexy_Lugs:
Old 02-10-20, 06:18 AM
UsedToBeFaster

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Drools not the first thing I would do ...

But sure is a conversation starter! Have fun riding it. I am guessing its plenty flexy?
Old 02-10-20, 07:15 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
I think "mainstream" cyclists consider bamboo bikes to be a novelty. I am sure it's a fine bike but honestly unsure if it really is any better than a steel/aluminum/crabon fiber bike.

How is the ride??
Old 02-10-20, 08:50 AM
Sexy_Lugs

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I did not have a good chance to try it out, and in fact I wont be able to for 2 weeks! Sad to be sure; however the small amount of pedaling I did around my housing area showed it to be stiff. We have very smooth roads so I will need to try it out on the local bike trail that seconds as a roller coaster to feel for compliance.
Likes For Sexy_Lugs:
Old 02-10-20, 03:05 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
You can build a perfectly good bike from wood, if it's engineered right... it'll just be heavy, that's all.

Hmm... or maybe not... from wiki:

Chemically densified woodEdit

More recent studies[10] have combined chemical process with traditional mechanical hot press methods to increase density and thus mechanical properties of the wood. In these methods, chemical processes break down lignin and hemicellulose that is found naturally in wood. Following dissolution, the cellulose strands that remain are mechanically hot compressed. Compared to the three-fold increase in strength observed from hot pressing alone, chemically processed wood has been shown to yield an 11-fold improvement. This extra strength comes from hydrogen bonds formed between the aligned cellulose nanofibers.

The densified wood possessed mechanical strength properties on par with steel used in building construction, opening the door for applications of densified wood in situations where regular strength wood would fail. Environmentally, wood requires significantly less carbon dioxide to produce than steel and acts as a source for carbon sequestration.[11]

Last edited by Kimmo; 02-10-20 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-11-20, 09:03 AM
Sexy_Lugs

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Looks good Kimmo, I wonder (not sarcastically truly) if bamboo is any different being that it is technically a grass, not a wood. Possibly the cellular alignment is different and therefor the compound alignment would be. It is definitely heavier than my current titanium frame, but I am willing to give up that weight for two things, 1: a more comfortable and compliant ride, 2: the aesthetically pleasing knowledge that it is truly one of a kind and will strike up some good convo's amongst us cyclists. It already meets one of those, however I will not get a chance to ride the beauty for another week and a half. I am still waiting for someone to chime in if they have ridden one, or even a bamboo bike in general to say the ride characteristics.
Old 02-11-20, 02:11 PM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts

A couple of years back I was bored and looking for something to do, so I built a bamboo bike. I used my Cannondale Carbon Synapse as the pattern for the build, having just been professionally fitted to it. It was built as a 1x9, (I did not want to mess with a front derailleur.) which has since been upgraded to a 1x10 (48T with 11-32 cassette). It weighs in at about 20 lbs with heavier wheels than the Cannondale which tips the scales at 18. So for practical weight purposes they are equivalent. Ride-wise they are very similar too. They both are compliant and smooth out the bumps. The edge might go to the bamboo for comfort, the carbon may be a little stiffer. But to be honest, I have not really wailed on the bamboo during equivalent climbs. Chicken, I guess.

I feel faster on the carbon, but the numbers don't back that up. I ride the bamboo when I know that I won't need the small ring. If the ride is going to be rolling, it is a toss up. Hard climbing the carbon wins. It is definitely a conversation starter, I even had a PU pull along side and have the passenger ask if the bike was bamboo with a big thumbs up.

Your bike is more polished and refined than mine, but they've had more experience. Ride it like you'd ride any other bike in your stable. Have fun and enjoy the attention, you now own something unique.
Likes For coupster:
Old 02-12-20, 06:14 PM
Sexy_Lugs

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by coupster

A couple of years back I was bored and looking for something to do, so I built a bamboo bike. I used my Cannondale Carbon Synapse as the pattern for the build, having just been professionally fitted to it. It was built as a 1x9, (I did not want to mess with a front derailleur.) which has since been upgraded to a 1x10 (48T with 11-32 cassette). It weighs in at about 20 lbs with heavier wheels than the Cannondale which tips the scales at 18. So for practical weight purposes they are equivalent. Ride-wise they are very similar too. They both are compliant and smooth out the bumps. The edge might go to the bamboo for comfort, the carbon may be a little stiffer. But to be honest, I have not really wailed on the bamboo during equivalent climbs. Chicken, I guess.

I feel faster on the carbon, but the numbers don't back that up. I ride the bamboo when I know that I won't need the small ring. If the ride is going to be rolling, it is a toss up. Hard climbing the carbon wins. It is definitely a conversation starter, I even had a PU pull along side and have the passenger ask if the bike was bamboo with a big thumbs up.

Your bike is more polished and refined than mine, but they've had more experience. Ride it like you'd ride any other bike in your stable. Have fun and enjoy the attention, you now own something unique.
wow, congrats on making it yourself! That is really cool! Thank you for the information on the ride characteristics, I really am looking forward to it, after my tour in P.R. the current build is a 1 by 11, but I’d anything I wil put my Dura Ace 2 by 11 off my Ti ifI like the feel enough.
Old 02-12-20, 07:10 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
In S E Asia bamboo is seen as a novelty for tourists. They often build bamboo restaurants, and bamboo bungalows, for example. People who go there get an authentic Asian experience (in their mind). A lot of traditional houses are built out of wood. Now days, brick and concrete houses are becoming common.

There is also a lot of poverty. Some people come along with an idea to create a business, and employ some of the people. This is the result of someone doing this. He has increased employment opportunities in that area, and helped some people.

Most people consider the bamboo bike to be a novelty, not a serious bike. But he has got it down to a fine art.

Good on him, for the good he has done for the community.
Likes For alo: