Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ebike for touring?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Ebike for touring?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-22, 10:52 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Yeah, I very briefly test rode one so I have some idea. I rode up a pretty good hill. The really cool thing about them if they are set up to provide an assist and not a throttle activation is that you really don't feel like you are motoring up. You just feel like you are really strong.
And that right there is the problem. she wont even know she is killing you just cruising along.
Old 02-03-22, 11:25 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
It may be healthy to walk in her shoes for a while 😁
Old 02-03-22, 11:30 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
I am just ignorant but are there any hills in Tallahassee? :-)
Yeah surprisingly there are some pretty good ones. The one I was lakling about was actually quite steep, less than a quarter mile long though. I have some nice rides near by with some rolling terrain that is very similar to where I grew up in Maryland. Much better in that regard than most of the state if you like hills. I was pleasantly surprised when I moved here.

I can head out and find a flat ride, but it requires some effort to do so without driving to it. Most of the rides that start from home roll a good bit. Way more than would seem possible given that the state high point is only 345'.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 02-03-22, 12:08 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
You’d be better off taking up motorcycle touring. My sister does it and there are a lot of similarities to bike touring. One benefit is you have a much longer range and don’t have to worry about running out of power.
Old 02-03-22, 04:33 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
You’d be better off taking up motorcycle touring. My sister does it and there are a lot of similarities to bike touring. One benefit is you have a much longer range and don’t have to worry about running out of power.
Actually I really like travelling by motorcycle and camping is a good fit with it Lots of range. Easy to get to places to do off bike stuff. Pretty different from bicycle touring despite the similarities though. It might be much easier to get the wife to come along.
Old 02-03-22, 06:37 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
How would you all feel about touring with another rider on an E bike? Curious to your thoughts ?

We had a very nice gentleman join us last year for a week long tour and he was on an E bike. He was a little embarrassed at how easily he climbed and how well he maintained pace even with significant headwinds compared to the rest of us, and I think he was concerned that we might resent him for that reason. I tried to comfort him by letting him know, that I am only concerned with my own fitness and speed and his bike has no effect on that and so he wasn't a bother to me at all......as long as he didn't expect me to stay with him or try to increase the length of the days that I and the others were comfortable with. I sensed others in my group were not that keen on it.
Btw, was it cheating that I drafted off of him one day while plowing into some heavy headwinds...Ha

Last edited by robow; 02-03-22 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-03-22, 07:27 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I would have no problem touring with another person on an e-bike as long as they would not try to push me to go faster :-) We all go at different speeds and enjoy our freedom. If You get somewhere ahead of me then scout it out and text me with options.
Old 02-04-22, 05:50 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
How would you all feel about touring with another rider on an E bike? Curious to your thoughts ?
Depends on the situation. I usually camp, and where there are hiker biker sites available I use them. But hiker biker sites were invented for those using muscle power. I think e-bikers should camp where other motorcyclists camp. If I was camping in a regular car camping type site, I would not be opposed to sharing it with an e-biker. That said, my last bike tour was usually camping in tent areas at RV parks. The tent areas were more secluded with more trees, if I was touring with an e-biker that insisted we stay in an RV site where an electric hookup was located, I would be less enthusiastic about that.

My Pacific Coast tour in 2014 was my last tour where I was searching for places to plug in. After that I invested in a dynohub, a dyno powered USB charger, and a sizeable pass through cache battery for touring, thus I can be self sufficient on electricity. I generate the power I need for my GPS, lights, phone, etc. I would rather not have a touring partner telling me that we have to stay someplace else so he or she can plug in their battery. Every day.

A friend of mine is 85, a couple years ago he bought a trike because his balance has gotten bad, and he has trouble pedaling it up hills. I expect him to go electric soon. He will be the only e-bike user that I regularly ride with. If he toured, I would probably tour with him a bit, but not regularly.

I have a bit of a bias on e-bikes, they are not allowed on bike trails in my community unless they are pedaled under muscle power, but the only times I ever see an e-bike are on the bike trails where they are much faster than the muscle powered bikes. One of the e-bike stores used to advertise that they were conveniently located on one of the bike trails where it was easy to try them out. Almost nobody uses them on roads where they are allowed. Thus, when you see an e-bike in my community it is usually being operated illegally. Almost nobody commutes on e-bikes, most commuters are using muscle power. If I was still working, I would consider getting one for commuting but I would stay off the trails where 20 plus mph e-bikes do not mix well with pedestrians, joggers, parents with kids in strollers or on kiddie bikes, and muscle power bikes that are in the 12 to 18 mph range. But I used to commute on a motorcycle, if I had an e-bike I would consider it a lower power motorcycle when I commuted on it.

Side note - There is a company that makes kits to electrify older Vespa scooters. I never owned a Vespa, but that is the kind of thing I could get interested in. But they have no pedals, if I had one it would be licensed and insured as a motorcycle or moped.
Old 02-04-22, 11:40 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
A friend of mine whom I ride with uses an E bike and we have ridden up to 68 miles in a single day...
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
in 2014 we were getting 60 miles out of our e-bikes.
If you have the self discipline to climb steep hills at low assist levels you might get the higher estimated mileage ranges. My product advertised a range of 30-70 miles per charge. I climb two long 14% hills using high assist just riding to the coffee shop and back, thus my range is closer to 30 miles (unloaded). It's just too much fun flying over the hills to hold back! My longest ride on a single charge was 50 miles on the original battery when it was brand new in 2016 (I now have four 557wh batteries). Going to have the original re-built soon to restore its range.
Old 02-04-22, 12:07 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
This is my friends E bike, notice the size of the battery, it's enormous and heavy but it will hold a charge. I get a kick how he keeps adding accessories and more stuff to his bike, but he doesn't think a thing about it since there really is no weight penalty.

Old 02-04-22, 12:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
I got my Riese and Müller Supercharger2 for touring and while I haven't really done much touring yet (busy at work and other life stuff) it has been a great bike for commuting and grocery getting and other sundry tasks. It has good range and having navigation has been super handy.

The only thing I might worry about is charging at night in some places but if I plan a little not a problem.

The Creo is a neat bike but as the stock bike I might do some upgrades to make it work better for light touring. Different wheels are really the biggest thing but I would probably also swap to a fork that can handle some gear.
Old 02-04-22, 02:31 PM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
This is my friends E bike, notice the size of the battery...
That must be the optional 21ah/1008wh battery that Juiced offers. Mine is 11.6ah/557wh. I just have to carry miles 30-60 in a pannier!
Old 02-04-22, 02:39 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I've never toured with an ebike, or even ridden one, but I did meet some ebike tourers on the Erie Canal Towpath, they had a sag wagon with a generator. The GAP would be, I think, ebike friendly since it has so many services along the route.
Good luck.