Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

front derailleur help

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

front derailleur help

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-20, 06:17 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by Ger482
guys it's all fine now
By doing what if I may ask(?).

What chainline dimension do you have?

8mm spindle end differential, that's a triple spindle for sure.
Old 09-04-20, 06:33 PM
mongol777

Bikes: are all mine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
By doing what if I may ask(?).

What chainline dimension do you have?

8mm spindle end differential, that's a triple spindle for sure.
I looked at OP's original rebuild thread - spindle legth was off from the get go, someone put wrong spindle in 50 years ago, see below the pic from another thread.
As how it is fine now - we can only guess until and if OP provides an update
Old 09-04-20, 06:39 PM
Ger482

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
it seems to shift fine but if you say it is the wrong shaft i'm sure you must be right . as I said I was surprised that the long side didn't work on the shaft. I will contact the man that has all the Claud Butler answers and will get back to you.
Old 09-04-20, 06:50 PM
mongol777

it seems to shift fine but if you say it is the wrong shaft i'm sure you must be right . as I said I was surprised that the long side didn't work on the shaft. I will contact the man that has all the Claud Butler answers and will get back to you.
I had similar builds with too long of a spindle and most of the time I was able to use FD by backing out limiting screw almost all the way so I don't think there are any serious functional concerns.
Some modern cranks have crazy long chainline like Shimano GRX 11s which I tried to use with CX70 FD and also had to back out limiting screw but it worked just fine.

By going with shorter spindle you'll get narrower q-factor, probably improved chainline (so less wear and probably less noise) and operating FD not at it's limits
Old 09-04-20, 07:08 PM
Ger482

guys it is shifting just fine I will contact a person in england that has rebuilt 100 of these bikes and see what he thinks . but I have ridden this bike at least 100 miles and it works so i'm ok. thank you I will tell you what the Claud Butler guru says.. Scott
Old 09-04-20, 07:31 PM
mongol777

guys it is shifting just fine I will contact a person in england that has rebuilt 100 of these bikes and see what he thinks . but I have ridden this bike at least 100 miles and it works so i'm ok. thank you I will tell you what the Claud Butler guru says.. Scott
Glad it is working for you! Nice riding weather is almost over so enjoy your very good looking Claud Butler!
Let us know what your contact says. People's recommendations in this thread are not Claud Butler specific, spindle length and chainline are pretty universal and that's why good folks of bikeforums were able to quickly narrow down your issue.
Old 09-04-20, 07:38 PM
Ger482

thanks mongol777 I'm an old guy ,I just like to ride ,brings back good memories p.s why this is underlined I have no idea hehehehe
Likes For Ger482:
Old 09-04-20, 09:04 PM
leecycle

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
here are the measurements all is good here is my thread

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-butler-3.html

Read through your restoration thread, very nice work!
As mentioned by others, it definitely seems that a too long spindle for the crankset used was installed at some point. The crankset looks to be a Shimano 600 Arabesque, if that is indeed the case, the correct spindle length is 116mm.
Old 09-04-20, 09:24 PM
Ger482

thank you for the info leecycle. yes it is a shimano 600 crankset I believe. I'm going to enjoy riding it now and will look at the sizing in the winter...why is this underlined? quite strange...
Old 09-05-20, 09:31 AM
Ger482

I was told not to worry about it and just have fun....good advice
Old 09-05-20, 12:08 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
There is no "perfect" chainline anyway, because it depends on how the rider sequences their front and rear shifts, and on how much time they spend in which particular combination of sprockets.

I tend toward a shortest-possible chainline because I prefer not to have to shift down to the small chainring frequently, so ideally my large chainring is more centered with the freewheel than the small chainring. I do find a lot of variation though on bikes that I take in, and tend to shorten the spindle eventually (or perhaps change to a symmetrical spindle of the same length).
It's just me though, I find it near-impossible to get used to a double crank setup with a long chainline dimension.