Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone ride the orange Salsa Vaya GX with carbon fork?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-17, 10:01 AM
canuckjgc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

I'm looking at building up the Vaya GX frame with carbon fork, but I have no opportunity to ride it first. Does anyone have this bike? I'm looking for a lively ride for brevets and commuting, and I suspect with the triple butted frame and carbon fork it should be pretty good. Thoughts?
Old 04-04-17, 11:58 AM
FestinaLente

Bikes: Salsa Vaya GX 2017

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a blue Vaya GX and love the bike, it's very comfortable. I've used it for commuting, road rides, crushed limestone trails, gravel roads, and some light off road riding so far. I wanted to get rid of my old road bike and my 29 inch mountain bike to consolidate down, the Vaya GX easily replaced both bikes.

I've put it through a few 50 plus mile rides so far with no complaints and find I can keep up with my friend who rides a lighter bike than me. The only thing I've really changed on the bike from stock is I added a Brooks Cambium saddle because I didn't care for the Pure V Comp. This was really strange for me because I'd never used Brooks before and I've used a WTB saddle for years. I also had the shop set it up for tubeless since the Vaya GX comes with WTB Nanos that are tubeless compatible. Honestly, I wasn't sure if I'd keep the Nanos on the bike since I had a set of Schwalbe marathons in storage but I've enjoyed the tubeless Nanos enough to stick with them for now.
Old 04-04-17, 12:49 PM
tegnamo

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Well...the all-steel version was super awesome. But a bit pokey because of the weight. A carbon fork might save a pound? Not that much really...but it should still ride nicely.
Old 04-04-17, 09:13 PM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Test rode one, and can't say anything negative about the ride. I hated the gearing, so was going to build instead from the frame. Turned out was freaking hard to find wheels for the fork. Been a few months so maybe better now. Instead I bought a Soma Fogcutter frame with carbon fork and put Shimano SLX groupset and brakes and some fairly hefty wheels since Im not small. Frame uses almosr all standard parts ie threaded bottom bracket etc. Built as a all road. Not super fast but does exactly what I built it to do VERY WELL. Oh and final weight was 24 pounds and change. So I suggest you look at that frame as well. Be mindful of geometry. I ended up with a 54 instead of my typical 56 size of my Allez and Titanium bike.
Old 01-10-19, 07:30 PM
Mansontm
EastBayBike

Bikes: Lemond Maillot Jaune, Volpe,

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What did you get?

It has been over a year after this posted. What bike did you get and share some pictures please.
I got a Vaya with carbon fork. I don't like it... I love it! I can't post any pictures yet due to my rookie probation here.