Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

My thoughts on 3" tires

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

My thoughts on 3" tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-18, 11:29 AM
canuckjgc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
My thoughts on 3" tires

So I've recently installed 29X3 Maxxis Minions on my Fargo. I've never ridden a fat bike so can't compare. I use the bike for commuting mainly, few trails here and there.

At about 15-18psi they are much better than your standard 2.1-2.25 MTB tire in a few inches of snow. The deep lugs of the Minions don't clog easily, and the the soft compound seems to work well. The front wheel tracks much better without being diverted by ruts, tracks and brown sugar. Confidence inspiring just seeing the size of the front tire while riding. Rolling resistance is high.

A smaller fat tire is 3.7" so this is a three quarter or fat bike option that is worth it in my view for commuting during those days when the snow is falling.

Once the MUP's are cleared and the snow stops I'll go back to my other bike with Ice Spiker Pros.
Old 01-10-18, 08:56 PM
dh024

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I have had a similar experience on my Surly ECR with 29x3" Knard tires. But I have also noticed that if the pressure isn't low enough, the wider tires become a liability (extra float, but no traction).