Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Chroming a frame....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Chroming a frame....

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-06, 02:05 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
Chroming a frame....

Hi, I have an old Ciocc from the early '80s and plan to restore it as best I can. I am very intrigued by the idea of chroming the frame and then painting it but I thought I better ask you guys how to go about doing this. Some questions come to mind:

Are there different types of chrome?
If so, what type do I use for a bicycle?
I'd like to keep the details as nice as possible, particularly the "Ciocc" embossed on the top of the rear stays; is chrome going to ruin these details due to it's thickness?

That is all I can think of for now, thanks for any help any one can provide
Old 03-26-06, 02:55 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Chrome plating a bicycle frame requires special skills, and not all steel tubing is suitable for chrome plating because of hydrogen embrittlement. Reynolds 531 can be successfully chrome plated.

Check out the CyclArt Q&A on chrome plating at https://www.cyclart.com/questions.html#chrome1.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Likes For Scooper:
Old 03-29-06, 12:37 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Cyclart can have the frame chromed perfectly............................................................for a price.

Be seated when you get the quote.
Old 03-29-06, 12:56 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
so can vintage cycle studios (Brian Baylis)
or any other number of good painters, it's all in the prep work.
marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 04-01-06, 05:26 AM
Deanster04

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
An interesting side note is that the lifetime warranty that comes with most high quality tubesets is voided when any or all of a frame gets chromed for reasons already cited. Only have an experienced bike builder and/or restorer do the job and be willing to pay the money. Best to just paint the bike.
Old 04-01-06, 01:57 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by Deanster04
... Best to just paint the bike.
... particularly if you live immediately downwind of the world's largest body of salt water, as I do.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-02-06, 10:31 AM
stronglight
Old Skeptic

Bikes: 19 road bikes & 1 Track bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I happen to LOVE good heavy chrome plating on vintage bikes. ~ Check out these alluring photos of a Paramount on the Classic Rendezvous website: https://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA...frame_full.htm

However, Chrome plating is not just a thin electroplating like you'd find on a gold plated watch or ring. For a good chrome job on a bike there is usually a triple strate (3 layers) "stack" consisting of copper, brass or nickle and finally chromium. Polishing between layers can help fill in any heavy pitting and give you a true Show Bike finish. BUT... this all comes at the price of added weight to your frameset. So, consider whether you want a couple more ounces or a hundred grams or more added to your frame.

For this reason, high-end vintage racing bikes were often built entirely without the beautiful chrome highlights we love so much. The plating on the bottoms of the chain and seat stays and fork blades and fork crowns were to protect real-world bikes from chipped paint and the effects of corrosion from road salts - especially important with the inferior enamel paint we now find faded on bikes from decades ago... Remember: there were no nice hard clear-coats back then.

Because the Chrome plating process is now regarded an OSHA health hazard, many plating companies will no longer do it at all - so, it is expensive... in any case.

And, as others have mentioned, you really need a qualified plater who is competent to work with BICYCLE frames. In addition to the issue of suitable steel, and the risk of embrittlement: Your frame is not simply a bumper from a '58 Chevy, or the valve cover on a motorcycle; it is built with closed tubing which usually had small holes drilled into them to vent heat and pressure during the brazing process. These vent holes will literally fill with acid during the required cleaning process for re-plating. So, later this "acid-pickle" solution needs to be properly neutralized where it has seeped into the tubing. Your local bumper shop will certainly not bother with little considerations like this - even if they are accustomed to plating Harley handlebars.

Nevertheless, in spite of everyone's warnings, if your bike originally had chrome on it, and you want to restore it to it's former beauty (and you have plenty of CA$$$H to have it re-plated properly)... Definitely, Go for it!
Old 04-02-06, 10:12 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

They do look nice... Almost too nice.

my bikes

Old 05-24-11, 02:01 PM
EHauk3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
**********?

Wait, you want to chrome plate the frame and THEN paint it?? Is that right? Why would anyone paint over chrome?? I am confused.....
Old 05-24-11, 02:10 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by EHauk3
Wait, you want to chrome plate the frame and THEN paint it?? Is that right? Why would anyone paint over chrome?? I am confused.....
The chrome provides an extra layer of protection. Some production bicycles were chromed and then painted, like my 1986 Schwinn Voyageur. Not a single spec of rust, although in a couple of places the paint has been scraped off to expose the chrome.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 05-24-11, 02:34 PM
toytech

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Somec is the lightest frame I have, it is full chrome with transparent red over it at the moment and Columbus SL. It is shortly going to get a full chrome full polish renovation. I am not worried about a few grams at 200lbs +
Old 05-24-11, 02:37 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Darwin
, although in a couple of places the paint has been scraped off to expose the chrome.
That's the Coolest part about Paint-over-Chrome. When you (inevitably) scratch it you see chrome, rather than grow rust.
Old 05-24-11, 04:09 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Holy resurrected thread, Batman! It's five years old!

my bikes

Old 05-24-16, 10:16 PM
Schmiegle

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
They do look nice... Almost too nice.

Scooper, I like! And with all respect, I'm going to out-chrome it with my PX10... :-)
Old 05-25-16, 04:40 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Buying the paint for my all polished chrome plated Torpado on payday. Plan on powder blue with chrome head tube lugs, for crown, fork socks and stays socks...

Old 05-25-16, 05:23 AM
realsteel

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
Hi, I have an old Ciocc from the early '80s and plan to restore it as best I can. I am very intrigued by the idea of chroming the frame and then painting it but I thought I better ask you guys how to go about doing this. Some questions come to mind:

Are there different types of chrome?
If so, what type do I use for a bicycle?
I'd like to keep the details as nice as possible, particularly the "Ciocc" embossed on the top of the rear stays; is chrome going to ruin these details due to it's thickness?

That is all I can think of for now, thanks for any help any one can provide
See here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...arts-home.html

However, electroplating an entire frame would be a lot of work and (as others have mentioned) you have to take care of hydrogen embrittlement.

I intent to electroplate the stays, lugs and forks of a 1950's Hetchins frame later this year, but I will put down a copper strike layer first. This will ensure good adhesion.
Old 05-25-16, 03:11 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
it's been more than ten years since I started this thread but I still have the Ciocc, although I never did end up getting it chromed, I chose to powder coat it as it was much cheaper.

I gave the Ciocc to my nephew a few years ago and he rides it to university and his job.

He really likes it and is quick as hell on it, I like to think I was once that fast but I cannot be sure, 18 years old was a long time ago
Old 05-25-16, 06:49 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
it's been more than ten years since I started this thread . . .
. . . and in that time it is has become damned near impossible to get a frame chromed in California. Not a complaint or endorsement or judgment, just an observation.
Old 05-25-16, 07:22 PM
G.Varela

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 15 Posts
Look guys, I just had my fork plated. The shop owner said he couldn't do the whole frame; too big he said. So the frame is getting powder coated minus the chrome parts.

Never like factory chrome, but it should look good, plus is triple plated which should last a while.

Next to my other factory chromed fork.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2856.jpg (84.1 KB, 750 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_2864.jpg (92.0 KB, 755 views)
Old 05-25-16, 08:02 PM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
My Chrome platter does a fantastic job, always Triple plate always perfect.

Before.

After

He chromes lots of items from small bits and pieces to gigantic Car bumpers from the 50's
Old 03-28-19, 03:57 PM
91Bear

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Angelo

Before.

After

He chromes lots of items from small bits and pieces to gigantic Car bumpers from the 50's
Who is he?
Old 03-30-19, 03:31 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 998 Times in 525 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Angelo

yes, who is he, I need to get the fork of my Zunow redone.
Old 03-30-19, 06:20 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Remember...... chrome plating makes for the best "quick release" paint primer.
As a lot of Italian bike makers proved to us in the 80's......
Old 03-30-19, 07:45 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
yes, who is he, I need to get the fork of my Zunow redone.
I just had an Tommasini Air Fork done by Quality Plating, Sterling, IL, and am happy as it was a mess having been re-chromed directly over the original chrome, had flaking on both layers! For me shipping was $15 each way and $85 for the work. They do just lugs (which I recommend for exactly Chombi1's reasoning) or the whole frame. I learned the hard way local shops are not to be trusted.
Old 03-30-19, 04:29 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
I just had an Tommasini Air Fork done by Quality Plating, Sterling, IL, and am happy as it was a mess having been re-chromed directly over the original chrome, had flaking on both layers! For me shipping was $15 each way and $85 for the work. They do just lugs (which I recommend for exactly Chombi1's reasoning) or the whole frame. I learned the hard way local shops are not to be trusted.
Sounds intriguing. I have an extra MAX fork cruising around and getting it plated for $120+/- might be a cool way to make my Proto really stand out from the crowd.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.