Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show me your cat

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show me your cat

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 09:35 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My wife calls these "alley cat looking cats" marbled tabbies.
They are alley cats to me
We also have two black cats-

Nice pictures-nerka's tabby is fading-those eyes ALMOST closed-but that is when they are most dangerous!!
Not like cs1's cute puppies-when their eyes are almost closed-they are barely alive-and 1 second from unconsciousness
But cats-seemingly almost asleep-still capable of "badness"
Old 01-13-14, 03:32 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Lurking on C&V, wipekitty finds the cat thread? Great!

Barnacle Barnaby is the gray one - he's about 5. Redrum Wipekitty is the white and gray one, and she's just under two years old. She is an Alabama Swamp Kitty and loves the water. Bob is the orange guy, and we think he's about a month younger than Redrum. He enjoys classic and vintage bicycles.

As you can see, our cats are extremely well-behaved.
Old 01-13-14, 12:55 PM
bici_mania

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
If you have not seen this video floating around the interwebz you should check it out.

https://youtu.be/MNCzSfv4hX8

It is quite remarkable, frolicking with African lions like our domestic lions. And then the hyenas, who are even more ruthless and cunning. On my one trip to Africa, sitting in the safari jeep, I was about 15 feet away from a young male, 5 lionesses and about 3 cubs. It was breathtaking and wonderful, but I don't have the cajones to do what he does. We saw hyenas soaked in blood, with half their bodies in the belly of a giraffe. Later we saw the same scene with zebras.

What this guy does, I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it.
Old 01-13-14, 01:00 PM
TampaRaleigh

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Competition (Restored to Original), 1986 Cannonade SR400 (Updated to Dura Ace 7800)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by phoebeisis
But cats-seemingly almost asleep-still capable of "badness"
It's funny... my 2 youngest cats are practically comatose when they sleep. You can pick them up like a rag doll, move them to wherever you want, put them back down, and they won't wake up.
Old 01-13-14, 03:41 PM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRaleigh
It's funny... my 2 youngest cats are practically comatose when they sleep. You can pick them up like a rag doll, move them to wherever you want, put them back down, and they won't wake up.
Right-kittens can sleep like logs!
When ours were kittens -I would make them SYMMI-CATS meaning placing their limbs symmetrically-
lining up "arms and legs"-and they slept so heavily-they allowed it.

Now that they are adults-no way can I symmi-cat them!!
Old 01-13-14, 04:07 PM
michael k

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This was my daughters tortie calico named Cottonheadedninnymuggins. (loved it when the vet called clients by their pet names)

Very smart kitty,daughter taught her alot of tricks.

Last edited by michael k; 01-13-14 at 04:08 PM. Reason: pictures
Old 01-13-14, 04:21 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Not mine, but just adore this pic, and thought to share it here.

cat 307 by irmagirardi312, on Flickr
Old 01-13-14, 05:03 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Found these pics in the web some years ago...

Pub party pocket poosycat...

Too kewhl.... laptop cooler..

Last edited by Chombi; 01-13-14 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-13-14, 05:07 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by michael k
This was my daughters tortie calico named Cottonheadedninnymuggins. (loved it when the vet called clients by their pet names)

Very smart kitty,daughter taught her alot of tricks.
That tears it I'm going to have to stop by a friend of mines house to take a picture of his cat.. "Muggins kitten" not tortoise shell.. but that facial expression matches.
Old 01-15-14, 12:15 AM
ReptilesBlade 

Bikes: 2006 Trek 7500 Multitrack, 1985 Roadmaster Pro Tour

Liked 28 Times in 2 Posts
I love this topic!

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=177616
Old 01-15-14, 12:59 AM
treal512

Bikes: '89 Miele Azsora, '09 Motobecane 700HT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want a cat, but my apartment is tiny and I don't want poop/cat litter everywhere
Old 01-15-14, 02:09 AM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 55 Posts
I noticed how popular this thread is and although I do not want to stray off topic too much thought I would mention a bit about diet. Apparently dry cat food ( kibble ) is the last thing you want to feed your cat. Our 14 y.o. Siberian female developed some type of UTI ( urinary tract infection ) and looking into it on the internet led us to many health problems cats ( and dogs ) are experiencing because of lack of a proper diet, especially UTI and cancer. Specifically we found out about raw diets, which we now have her mostly on. Domestic cats are still just like wild ones in needing a high protein diet based on muscle meat and organs. Many canned cat foods also have too much fat, use a good amount of plant based protein source ( not good ) and also are usually too high in carbohydrates. Anyway, I am sure a good number are aware but for those who may not it is worth doing a search on raw diets for cats as it appears to be gaining acceptance by many. Ours has shown a very big improvement with more energy, a shinier coat and increased muscle mass in less than a month. Sorry for the longish post but since we all want what is best for our beloved pets thought I would share this.

Last edited by VintageRide; 01-15-14 at 02:12 AM.
Old 01-15-14, 02:28 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
In a cat's favorite dreams....

And the required drive side shot....

Riding dinner....
It's radio controlled too.... An X-mas gift from my nephews a couple of years ago. Almost forgot I had it till I noticed it next to my TV today.

Last edited by Chombi; 01-15-14 at 02:35 AM.
Old 01-15-14, 02:44 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
A good informative post, VintageRide! I discovered this information while researching diets of carnivores and herbivores, and the effects of mixing their diet.
It's sad that pet owners are marketed dry food as safe and nutritious. When in fact it's ruining our pets' health.
I found that some butchers and markets set aside scrap cuts of meats that aren't sold for human consumption, but suitable as pet food at low cost. Definitely better for our pets than dry kibble. Probably costs less too.
Old 01-15-14, 06:11 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Anyone wanting to explore some interesting reading can peruse this.
https://www.catinfo.org

I also bought this book, which really opened my eyes.
https://www.amazon.com/Your-Cat-Simpl.../dp/B002LITRSA
Old 01-15-14, 03:49 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Bikes: 78 raleigh competition 70's Gitane Hosteller, '85 StumpJumper, 90's Rockhopper Commuter, '68 Raleigh Sports, 2018 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 39 Posts
yup this just happened to us, we pretty much just coughed up 2k at the vet for a procedure to clear up his UT. he was in a lot of pain. the vet put him on ANOTHER DRY FOOD!! science diet, that is supposed to be made for cats with urinary problems. we got some wet food too of the same kind. I have the feeling that it may also just be some junk with other junk added to make it break down more or something.

rootboy- i am ordering that book now, i'm sure i could find a lot of that info online, but its nice to have a hard copy.

WNG- that sounds like a good idea, i'll have talk to some local supermarket butchers...

here our Max is fresh home from the vet, sporting his shaved arm. he lost so much weight , but that was a couple months back. he is pretty much back to normal now.

Old 01-15-14, 04:06 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Our 14 cats get three 5.5oz cans split between them at breakfast and again at dinner, and have all the Iams dry food they want during the day. We've had cats live as long as 21-1/2 years, and their coats/eyes look fine.
Old 01-15-14, 04:44 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Ah. Poor Max. Farking meow. I think you'll get a lot out of that book Raleigh C. My wife and I have tried to change things up a bit for our cats, but it's difficult. Then again, our last cat died at 19 when his kidneys finally gave up, but he ate Science Diet dry his whole life and was a fairly healthy cat overall. it's hard to tell what to believe but the "new " theories touting all protein diets make a lot of sense. There is no regulation of pet food products and what the contain. So they police themselves. Not always with our pet's best interests at heart, IMO.
Old 01-15-14, 05:28 PM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 55 Posts
Glad to see some of you are trying to give your cats a quality diet. And thank you rootboy for that link to the book, I hope others here check out the many comments on Amazon about it.Male cats are especially prone to a blocked urethra and there have been a number of practicing vets who questioned what was espoused as a proper diet and got away from promoting or using dry cat food. The thing about cats is they usually do not drink as a normal routine but tend to get moisture from the food. Kibble is so processed it really plays havoc with the ph balance, kidneys etc. The more you read the more one realizes just how bad the pet food industry has become. A lot of the problems vets are seeing were not an issue before the '80's when dry cat food was not readily available. It is also not good for their teeth whereas those using a raw diet rarely see problems. Canned basic cat food is still better than dry any time. The more you learn about your cat's metabolism it becomes very apparent that most modern formulas are falling very short of giving a complete nutritional diet. I have already given information to some relatives who were thankful and are looking into it. It is no different from humans when you eat less than healthy food - eventually you end up with problems down the road. At the very least when one considers the cost of going to the vet these days if one can prevent many of the problems than a raw or semi raw diet is a cheaper alternative. I remember reading on one site where a cat owner wondered why her younger cats seemed to go sleeping after a meal - after going raw she realized the over use of plant based protein and carbohydrates made the cats sleepy whereas on raw they were quite a bit more active. Something to think about.

Last edited by VintageRide; 01-15-14 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-15-14, 05:43 PM
awfulwaffle 

Bikes: Franken-mountain bike, mid-90s Performance TR1000, 1990 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hooray, a cat thread! Her name is Bucket:

Making the best of the seating situation:

Protecting her airspace:

Old 01-15-14, 06:03 PM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageRide
Glad to see some of you are trying to give your cats a quality diet. And thank you rootboy for that link to the book, I hope others here check out the many comments on Amazon about it.Male cats are especially prone to a blocked urethra and there have been a number of practicing vets who questioned what was espoused as a proper diet and got away from promoting or using dry cat food. The thing about cats is they usually do not drink as a normal routine but tend to get moisture from the food. Kibble is so processed it really plays havoc with the ph balance, kidneys etc. The more you read the more one realizes just how bad the pet food industry has become. A lot of the problems vets are seeing were not an issue before the '80's when dry cat food was not readily available. It is also not good for their teeth whereas those using a raw diet rarely see problems. Canned basic cat food is still better than dry any time. The more you learn about your cat's metabolism it becomes very apparent that most modern formulas are falling very short of giving a complete nutritional diet. I have already given information to some relatives who were thankful and are looking into it. It is no different from humans when you eat less than healthy food - eventually you end up with problems down the road. At the very least when one considers the cost of going to the vet these days if one can prevent many of the problems than a raw or semi raw diet is a cheaper alternative. I remember reading on one site where a cat owner wondered why her younger cats seemed to go sleeping after a meal - after going raw she realized the over use of plant based protein and carbohydrates made the cats sleepy whereas on raw they were quite a bit more active. Something to think about.
My 3 year old (Tugga - I'll get some pictures later) had a blocked urethra 2 years ago that nearly killed him. $3500 in vet bills and a lifetime on expensive prescription food and he's peeing like a champ.
Old 01-15-14, 07:14 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle

Protecting her airspace:

I feel safer already!
Old 01-19-14, 07:36 AM
auchencrow

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle

Protecting her airspace:

Old 01-19-14, 07:38 AM
auchencrow

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Going a little off-topic here since this little fella is not actually my cat, but the pic was too cute not to pass on.

Old 01-19-14, 07:43 AM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Sometimes I let my cat drive......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.