Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Zippered Security Pockets

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-18, 08:21 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

Years ago I lost keys, ID, credit card and $160 cash.

Assos's failure to provide a zippered security pocket clearly made them culpable. Never again.

At $150 for a jersey, or $120 or even $80, I expect a zippered pocket.

So yeah, just felt like saying that.
Old 06-18-18, 08:29 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Assos's failure to provide a zippered security pocket clearly made them culpable..
Did they MAKE you wear their jersey and carry your valuables?

How come you're not 100% responsible for your own actions?

And you're complaining about something that happened "years ago"?

Am i missing something?

Also, $160 is a lot of cash to carry on a ride. I usually carry $40 and have Uber on my smartphone.
Old 06-18-18, 09:14 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Did they MAKE you wear their jersey and carry your valuables?

How come you're not 100% responsible for your own actions?

And you're complaining about something that happened "years ago"?

Am i missing something?

Also, $160 is a lot of cash to carry on a ride. I usually carry $40 and have Uber on my smartphone.
You aren’t missing a thing.
So weird I wonder if OP is just having fun with us?
Years later he hasn’t gotten over his own actions?
Old 06-18-18, 09:19 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My $20 Koramon long sleeve jersey has a zippered pocket. Pretty handy, as long as I remembered to zip it shut (I forgot a couple of times but didn't lose anything). Amazon is out of stock atm but I plan to check for their short sleeve summer weight jerseys.

Only problem it's outside the center of three pockets. I'd prefer one on the nearest left hand side. Borked my right shoulder getting clobbered by a car last month and then strained my left shoulder trying to compensate by doing everything lefty. So now both shoulders have limited mobility. It'd be easier to reach a zippered rear pocket that's closer to the edge.

I see some mountain biking jerseys with zipper pockets, by Fox and others.

Koramon is just one of many no-name sorta-brands like "Sponeed" and equally silly names on Amazon, so there's probably another label selling the same jerseys.
Old 06-18-18, 09:25 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by canklecat
My $20 Koramon long sleeve jersey has a zippered pocket. Pretty handy, as long as I remembered to zip it shut (I forgot a couple of times but didn't lose anything). Amazon is out of stock atm but I plan to check for their short sleeve summer weight jerseys.

Only problem it's outside the center of three pockets. I'd prefer one on the nearest left hand side. Borked my right shoulder getting clobbered by a car last month and then strained my left shoulder trying to compensate by doing everything lefty. So now both shoulders have limited mobility. It'd be easier to reach a zippered rear pocket that's closer to the edge.
I did the same thing, forgot to zip the security pocket, just last night! I was riding poor, no cash, just a debit card but my ID and card were half hanging out. I reached back to check out of habit and realized after only a half mile or so.

I really hope you heal fully after taking the hit and that you are given the strength to bear with it until then.

7Mesh has zippered pockets on both sides!

-Tim-
Old 06-18-18, 09:33 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, the shoulder is coming along. It's been four weeks. I'm going without the compression sling more now, and have some range of motion back. The shoulder is still a bit crunchy but less painful. Ortho follow up Thursday to check progress.

And I've been using an indoor trainer for a few days. Feels good to get the legs moving again. Keeping light pressure on the bad arm.

Regarding pockets, I'm inclined to try something with a small pocket that's just big enough for an ID wallet or just an ID card and debit card, and one or two keys. If the pocket has a grippy silicone rubber strip like the legs on shorts or hem on a jersey, that might be secure enough. No need to worry about forgetting to zip up. Dunno if anyone makes such a jersey but they should.
Old 06-18-18, 09:44 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
I never use the small zip pockets. I keep cash, cc, and license in a wallet thing that holds my phone (Rapha, I might add ). It all goes into that then into an unzipped jersey pocket.

Now if I needed to carry keys, I might toss them in a zip pocket, but that's rare for me.
Old 06-18-18, 09:57 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Put a rubber band around your cards a couple times for increased friction.

​​​​​
Old 06-19-18, 05:05 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't get it. How does anything come out of those pockets without being pulled out? Wait - I take that back: I've had things like warmers,windbreaker or gloves come out because they weren't tucked all the way in and the wind caught them, but money? keys?! phone?!?! Aside from giant pouches on the back of windbreakers and the like, I see absolutely no need for a zipper on the back pockets (though I do have a couple of jackets with breast pockets, which absolutely need the zipper). Personally, I think they just add a level of awkwardness, and I really dislike having to pull things through them, especially when they aren't as wide as the pocket. I've ridden on some very rough roads - heck, I've even crashed my share of times - and nothing has ever come out without being pulled out. Sometimes its tough to drag stuff out of them. The only time I lost cash was when I was going for snack and couldn't see the money coming out as I rummaged around.
Old 06-19-18, 07:05 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have zippered pockets in a Hincapie and a Rapha jersey. They’re both pretty awkward to use.
Old 06-19-18, 07:06 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I see zippered pockets as a nice little bonus, but not a requirement. Most jersey pockets are deep enough that I don't worry about anything bouncing out. The only real concern IMO is something coming out when you're fishing for something else. I just keep the things that I'll need to access, from the saddle, in their own pockets - phone on the right side, food on the left. I usually keep my "wallet" in the center pocket, as they're often more narrow and deeper than the side pockets. Multi-tool and flat kit will also go in the center pocket if I don't have it on the bike somewhere.
Old 06-19-18, 07:44 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
If I drive to a race/ride, one of the last things I tell my friends is "the keys are on this little bracket under the bumper... in case I'm medivac'ed out of here and you guys need a ride home."
Yeah... a zipper would be nice on one of the pockets.
Old 06-19-18, 07:57 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

I wish I could tell you guys how money, car key, ID and credit card fell out of an Assos jersey pocket. The answer is I don't know.

It was all in a ziplock bag with a rubber band around it. Got back to the car, reached behind me and my heart sank.

No matter how awkward a zippered pocket might be, it is not as awkward as standing in line at the department of driver's services to get a replacement license, having to call up the bank to cancel your debit card or worst case, an accident and your insurance card isn't in your pocket.

I'd like a Velocio jersey but no zippered pocket so its a no-go.

@Zaskar, next race I'm going to look under your bumper and maybe turn your car around facing the other way or change your radio stations or adjust your seat all the way forward or something. and you will be like

-Tim-
Old 06-19-18, 08:06 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Only time I ever wish I had a zippered pocket is when I'm doing a brick and have my jersey on when running. Would be nice to toss my phone in the jersey pocket, but all that bouncing will knock it out of the pocket.
Old 06-19-18, 09:15 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Zippered pocket is a must. It’s where I keep my coffee money.
Old 06-19-18, 09:18 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
However once I was doing a classic cycling climb with a friend. Not many cars but lots of bike.

Friend found $20 on the side of the road and we used the cash to fuel up at the restaurant at the top of the climb.

So those jerseys without zip pockets have some usefulness I suppose: seeding the roadway with cash for hungry cyclists.
Old 06-19-18, 10:08 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Heathpack
However once I was doing a classic cycling climb with a friend. Not many cars but lots of bike.

Friend found $20 on the side of the road and we used the cash to fuel up at the restaurant at the top of the climb.

So those jerseys without zip pockets have some usefulness I suppose: seeding the roadway with cash for hungry cyclists.
The $160 I lost was in a pretty poor area. I like to think it was an answer to a prayer for the person who found it.

-Tim-
Old 06-19-18, 11:19 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I guess this is one of the advantages of wearing cheap-ass jerseys. Not only have I never had anything fall out of a pocket, but the stuff I forget to take out doesn't even fall out in the washer or dryer. I've had Clif bars make it through the washer, still in the pocket.
Old 06-21-18, 11:47 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
This is what cargo shorts are for.

(runs away from angry mob)