Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Infernal Creaking Is Driving me NUTS

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-07, 12:12 PM
GreekBikeGeek

Bikes: Trek 2300, Specialized Epic, Gary Fisher Tassajara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I commute to work on my bike about 21 miles round trip every day. My commuter's a brand new 2006 Gary Fisher Tass I purchased the start of April to replace my aging Diamondback. Other than the junk front shock it's been a great ride.

I've put on about 1500 miles on it and about a week ago I started to get this annoying clicking noise when I pedaled. Before I get any further I'll mention that if I haven't ridden the bike in a few hours (overnight is best) it usually takes the clicking a few min to start up though this is not always the case).

The seatpost was making some noises when I tried to move it around so I lubed it and the stem handlebars (used teflon lube). No go, so I take the BB out and to my surprise I've got a good deal of moisture (at least an ounce of water) in the shell. I've never ridden in the rain (until recently we had a 2 month drought here). The only thing I can think of is condensation from the humidity and or sweat getting in between the bracket and the shell when it drips down...

Regardless that much fluid seemed like allot considering. I cleaned everything up and taped the threads (they were not taped up from the factory) and used some teflon based grease on the threads. The clicking won't stop! It was nice and quiet for about a mile (longer than usual) but then started up again.

A few notes, the grease in the shell was a bit orange, but so was the grease on the BB splines. Could the bearings have rusted or been damaged?

I upgraded my Shimano 505 pedals to 540's about 2 months ago and I may try to swap those out next to see if it's the pedals, but I doubht it.

Could it be the freewheel (stock Deore). Any ideas?
Old 07-16-07, 12:20 PM
turtle77
break-beats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check your chainring bolts to see if they're tight.
Old 07-16-07, 01:59 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Those creaking gremlins are often hard to pinpoint. Sometimes I'd swear it's the bottom bracket but it turns out to be the seatpost. When I'm chasing down a creak, I usually disassemble the joint, clean it, lubricate it (grease on threads), then reassemble.

Basically, check as many of the joints you can:

bar to stem
stem to frame
pedals to crank
crank to bottom bracket
seat to rails
cleats to shoe
seat post to tube
dropout to frame
chainring bolts
bottom bracket cups

If you have the time/patience, do one at a time, so you can isolate the creak.
Old 07-16-07, 04:01 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I know you are probably past the free tune-up period, but if you purchased from an LBS take it in and ask if they can help. I know when I worked in a shop we were very willing to help a customer with a problem they were having with a recently purchased bike, almost always at no charge unless customer abuse was involved. It can't hurt to ask.
Old 07-16-07, 04:17 PM
cascade168
Klaatu barada nikto

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by turtle77
Check your chainring bolts to see if they're tight.
A good thought. I go one step - a big one - further and disassemble the whole crankset and grease every nut, bolt, and any flat surfaces that can rub against each other. It takes 30 minutes to an hour for a triple, but I've fixed several mystery creaks this way.
Old 07-16-07, 06:09 PM
MikeR
Very Senior Member

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GreekBikeGeek
Could it be the freewheel (stock Deore). Any ideas?
Check your knees - worked for me!
Old 07-16-07, 06:16 PM
subsistbmx@hotm
Freewheelin'!

Bikes: A big one

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same problem - It was quite annoying..After some careful listening I figured it was my seatpost or the seat..I took out the seat post and found some dirt inside..after cleaning the seat-tube and post the problem was fixed.