Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Snow Goggles

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Snow Goggles

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-15, 01:53 PM
TroN0074
Unracer Cyclist

Bikes: Huffy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snow Goggles

I am getting tired of my goggles getting foggy after few minutes of riding. I bough the Spy anti-fogging snow goggles. They do still get foggy what are you guys using? For the last two month, when I start my commute in the morning the weather is below zero. So I like to have some eyes protection. Any suggestion?
Old 03-01-15, 02:31 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
My goggles don't fog up unless I cover my mouth and nose and breathe into them. I use Smith Cascades which are just about the cheapest goggles you can get.
Old 03-01-15, 03:28 PM
auldgeunquers

Bikes: various strays, mongrels, and old junk.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Still working on this problem myself. My current thing I am trying is a paif of those sunglasses from Walmart that go over my perscription glasses - It was about -13C this morning, so not quite down do zero for you MI types, and they were fine - but my mouth and nose were not covered either.

Working ....
Old 03-01-15, 07:36 PM
TroN0074
Unracer Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know covering my mouth and nose had something to do, but I never thought on being directly the cause of my goggles fogging. I will have to try to wear them goggles without my full face mask which I have been wearing all this season.

I am not comfortable breathing all that cold air into my system though. It can't be good for you, although I don't know for sure.
Old 03-01-15, 09:21 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by TroN0074
I am getting tired of my goggles getting foggy after few minutes of riding. I bough the Spy anti-fogging snow goggles. They do still get foggy what are you guys using? For the last two month, when I start my commute in the morning the weather is below zero. So I like to have some eyes protection. Any suggestion?
I wear prescription eyeglasses, and year–round cycle commute. I frequently post about my nearly perfect solution for my 14 mile one way commute as low as 0° F. The above link was my most recent, posted 12/30/14 before riding in our most recent cold snap down to zero.

BTW, to the OP, TroN0074 of Michigan USA, you can trust me because I’m from Michigan too (East Side of Detroit).
Old 03-01-15, 10:23 PM
erig007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Solved this with my combo balaclava + dust mask + double lens goggles. No more fog even at stops, red lights...
Old 03-02-15, 06:16 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by erig007
Solved this with my combo balaclava + dust mask + double lens goggles. No more fog even at stops, red lights...
My usual question, "How cold and how far do you ride?". After all, according to your given Location, "6367 km away from the center of the Earth," the climate is ambiguous.
Old 03-02-15, 07:55 AM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My usual question, "How cold and how far do you ride?". After all, according to your given Location, "6367 km away from the center of the Earth," the climate is ambiguous.
The Earth isn't a perfect sphere so this radius gives more or less my lattitude (i live in Canada).

Last edited by erig007; 03-02-15 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-02-15, 08:15 AM
Jim from Boston

I have often posted that for any evaluation of winter gear, the poster should specify temperature and distance (as a function of time). One post once suggested that a "cold" ride is one where the water bottle freezes solid; a function of temperature and time. For my 14 miles that occurs at about 15º F or less (-9.4º C).

Originally Posted by erig007
The Earth isn't a perfect sphere so this radius gives more or less my lattitude (i live in Canada).
Thanks for the favour of a less ambiguous reply.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-02-15 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-02-15, 08:21 AM
TroN0074
Unracer Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you. My commute is 9 Miles one way, I leave home by 6:00 AM, usually after 4 miles of the ride my goggles are completely fogged. I thought about combining full face mask with a dust mask too. Now that is March hope the weather wont go below zero anymore.

Another thing I thought is to use agaiter neck with the goggles instead of the mask. I check that out and report back. Thank you again, I really appreciate it.

@Jim from Boston - Maybe we will ride together sometime and grab a drink. I am planning on join some of the rides organized by the community in Detroit, They have some Slow Roll Detroit events planned for this year that sound good. I am in Lansing but I have been wanting to take part in a big group ride.
Old 03-02-15, 09:02 AM
Jim from Boston

Thank you. My commute is 9 Miles one way, I leave home by 6:00 AM, usually after 4 miles of the ride my goggles are completely fogged. I thought about combining full face mask with a dust mask too. Now that is March hope the weather wont go below zero anymore.

Another thing I thought is to use agaiter neck with the goggles instead of the mask. I check that out and report back. Thank you again, I really appreciate it.

@Jim from Boston - Maybe we will ride together sometime and grab a drink. I am planning on join some of the rides organized by the community in Detroit, They have some Slow Roll Detroit events planned for this year that sound good. I am in Lansing but I have been wanting to take part in a big group ride.
Thanks for your reply. We usually visit family in the Northern Detroit suburbs once during the summer. Back in 2011, a group of subscribers rode in an Annual Fifty-Plus Forum Ride sponsored by the Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society out of Chelsea, MI, the "OneHelluvaRide", and I was considering that again this year; check out their website. One of those riders was Blazing Pedals from the Lansing area.

Regarding mask and neck gaiter, I posted this about riding at 1º last week:

Helmet, woolen cap, face mask held in place with thin nylon balaclava, and neck gaiter. Since I wear prescription eyeglasses and overlying goggles, I have literally solved the fogging problem by suspending the wide-open safety goggles as a wind screen from the blue surgical scrub cap by a Velcro strip attached to the nosepiece of the goggles. The rigid goggle earpieces also provide a support for my two rearview mirrors…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Level Vi 2-21-15 008.jpg (83.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg
Winter%20selfies%20008.jpg (3.9 KB, 98 views)
Old 03-02-15, 10:54 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

there are several products on the market to address this problem
nofog
castle x
cold avenger

I personally just use a balaclava that covers my mouth but not my nose.
Old 03-02-15, 11:57 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
there are several products on the market to address this problem
nofog
castle x
cold avenger
I threw out the mask for my cold avenger a couple of weeks ago after never getting it to work well.

I use the FogEvader I got from Amazon in it's place. https://www.amazon.com/R-U-Outside-He.../dp/B0043XRF6W

That still doesn't solve my issues of fogged glasses when my face heats up, but adequate ventilation helps.
Old 03-02-15, 03:30 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by chandltp
I threw out the mask for my cold avenger a couple of weeks ago after never getting it to work well.

I use the FogEvader I got from Amazon in it's place. Amazon.com: R.U. Outside Helmet Fog Evader Face Mask: Automotive

That still doesn't solve my issues of fogged glasses when my face heats up, but adequate ventilation helps.
Good to know.

This one from Klim gets good reviews from the snowmobilers. Seems like they would know a thing or two about keeping comfortable in cold weather.
Old 03-03-15, 07:12 AM
ricohman

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I use ski goggles. No fogging even at minus 50.

Last edited by ricohman; 03-03-15 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-03-15, 07:31 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by ricohman
Well, there's your answer.
Old 03-03-15, 10:19 AM
TroN0074
Unracer Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the one I have Robot Check
It has good reviews but they still fogg.
I think ricohman uses his on conbination with hat + neck warmer not full face mask for what I see on the picture.

I will try that.
Old 03-03-15, 11:05 AM
chandltp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This one from Klim gets good reviews from the snowmobilers. Seems like they would know a thing or two about keeping comfortable in cold weather.
I returned that one. It would not sit on my nose right and my glasses fogged immediately. My ski goggle *kind of* held it down. If I didn't have glasses it might have been OK. Prescription eyewear seems to be the downfall of most of the face masks I try. I can wear them with ski goggles no problem, but adding the second layer of eyewear is a problem.

Editted to add: I may have a high and / or steep nose bridge, I'm not sure.

Last edited by chandltp; 03-03-15 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-03-15, 12:27 PM
ricohman

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
This is the one I have Robot Check
It has good reviews but they still fogg.
I think ricohman uses his on conbination with hat + neck warmer not full face mask for what I see on the picture.

I will try that.
I use a full mask, neck warmer and a touque. If I get hot I take off the touque. But at -35 you never get hot.
Old 03-04-15, 09:55 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by chandltp
I returned that one. It would not sit on my nose right and my glasses fogged immediately. My ski goggle *kind of* held it down. If I didn't have glasses it might have been OK. Prescription eyewear seems to be the downfall of most of the face masks I try. I can wear them with ski goggles no problem, but adding the second layer of eyewear is a problem.

Editted to add: I may have a high and / or steep nose bridge, I'm not sure.
Sounds like nothing really works that well. I guess I'll just stick with the cold nose. It's really not too bad above 0F or so, and Spring is just around the corner.
Old 03-04-15, 11:14 AM
chandltp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like nothing really works that well. I guess I'll just stick with the cold nose. It's really not too bad above 0F or so, and Spring is just around the corner.
So far the FogEvader wins below 5°F. Above 15°F (until around 32°F), and 3 hole ski mask.
In between, I wear this:
Amazon.com: Seirus Innovation Men's Ultra Clava: Sports & Outdoors

Breathing technique is important on that last one (if I hold my mouth wrong I can fog, I have to create a "seal" with my top lip). I use safety glasses to shield the wind too.
Old 03-05-15, 06:20 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
OK, here's the big question(s): what model? how much? is there anything special about them, you know like vented, or double lens, a little fan inside. They look nice. Do they fit eyeglasses?
Old 03-05-15, 10:35 PM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scoatw
OK, here's the big question(s): what model? how much? is there anything special about them, you know like vented, or double lens, a little fan inside. They look nice. Do they fit eyeglasses?
I found out that preventing breath from reaching my goggles matter more than the type of goggles used as those will fog at one time unless i'm fighting a tornado. In my solution the balaclava act as a seal for my techno mask which prevent any breath from reaching my goggles.

As i have different goggles i see how good goggles makes a difference. When i don't use my technique my sunglasses fog in less than 5 minutes after i start riding. My double lens goggles will start fogging after about 20min riding.
https://www.amazon.com/Pyramex-I-Force-Sporty-Silver-Mirror/dp/B006WPSEVO/ref=sr_1_19?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1425616642&sr=1-19#customerReviews
https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/goggles1.html

Last edited by erig007; 03-05-15 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-06-15, 06:43 AM
ricohman

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by scoatw
I bought these 20+ years ago. I think they were 60 bucks. Double lens, tinted.
Fan?
I don't know about the eye glasses though.
I wear them next to my face or over my balaclava.
Old 03-06-15, 07:26 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I bought these 20+ years ago..
Funny you said that. I was going to crack some joke about needing to fire up the way-back machine to about 1986 to score a pair of those babies, but I didn't want to be rude.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.