Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Jersey(or base lay.) made from Polartec Delta material with "cooling effect". Anyone?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Jersey(or base lay.) made from Polartec Delta material with "cooling effect". Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-21, 06:56 AM
Primorsky

Bikes: 1. GT Grade AL 105 2.Eddy Merckx Milano 1972

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all

Has anyone used a jersey (or base layer) made from Polartec's Delta for riding in the warmer months? The manufacturer's advertising claims promise a "cooling effect" compared to "ordinary" cycling clothing due to the special design of the material. Is this true or a marketing gimmick?

p.s. I live in a relatively cold climate, but with high humidity (usually) near the sea and swamps. For my feelings, temperatures above +15C can be considered as hot (for a bicycle). I already have a climber's jersey made by Castelli brand. However, overheating of the core is a problem.

Is the Polartec Delta worth the money compared to e.g. "ordinary" polyester climber's jersey?

Thanks!
Old 11-25-21, 07:00 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,759 Posts
Links to jerseys made of this fabric?
Old 11-25-21, 07:10 AM
Primorsky

Bikes: 1. GT Grade AL 105 2.Eddy Merckx Milano 1972

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://velocio.cc/collections/jerse...or-mesh-jersey
F-g expensive? Yes.
However, I've found much cheaper base layers available from other garments brands.

About technology (compilation from different sources):
Spoiler

Likes For Primorsky:
Old 11-25-21, 08:24 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Hmm. That's actually among the least expensive full-zip jerseys that Velocio offers.

I'd be interested to hear some testimonials, too. Mesh, wicking jerseys are fairly common - I'm skeptical that this would be markedly different than another, good quality, mesh jersey.

To the OP - if you want to give it a whirl with less money on the line, I see that Velocio has a trail t-shirt made from the same stuff, currently on sale for $48.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-25-21, 12:50 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Most bike jerseys these days are made of some sort of wicking, hydrophobic fabric which has the intended purpose of wicking away moisture and evaprorating it, with the effect of cooling you. And they tend to work pretty well. If you like the jersey, get it. Personally, I wouldn't pay $140 for a jersey; especially just because it does what all the other less-expensive ones do.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 11-25-21, 02:23 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
15 C is hot to you? Then I recommend doing some heat acclimatization training because a human body (assuming you are one and not an Emperor penguin) should have no problems at that temperature.

As much as I like and usually wear a base layer, it's pointless to wear one when you're at the limit of how hot you can handle, unless you are skipping the jersey entirely.

I bought that Velocio Radiator Mesh jersey but returned it before wearing it on a ride because the fit was kind of crappy. Too tight under my neck while saggy on the torso. Santini also makes one but there are hardly any reviews of it.
Likes For surak:
Old 11-26-21, 01:48 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Problem with high humidity is that there is far less cooling from one's body's perspiration. Only approach that works for me is to be able to have bare arms as having them cool seems to make my body cooler overall. I have found a couple great cycling jackets that have windproof fronts, well ventilated backs, and that have sleeves that come unzipped and can be stuffed into the pockets so I have a thin vest.

When I first started doing long distance rides the bike jerseys were from Italy and tended to be be too tight in the shoulders and arms and were 100% wool. I instead would wear a very thin workshirt with long sleeves. When I was hot I would roll the sleeves up to my elbows and when I was going to go fast down a grade I would first roll the sleeves back down to cover my arms and this actually worked very well.

I also learned the hard way that 40C on dirt or sand was vastly different than 40C out on the pavement. The sun would heat up the pavement much like a pizza oven stone and then send it up to anyone on it, including me on a bicycle. Closest I ever came to heatstroke was a 100+ mile bike ride across a desert in California. I was used to running 10-15 miles across the desert in the same temperatures and mistakenly thought that the bike ride would be no different.

Heatstroke is serious and when I lived in Dallas the humidity limited my bike speed as I could not throw off the heat effectively. During an Olympic marathon trial in Texas a local Dallas resident ran in the race and died from heatstroke.
Old 11-26-21, 02:20 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 818 Posts
I have not used Polartech, but I have used a couple of similar "cooling" materials. My experience is that they work ok until the temperature and humidity are high enough that they don't. IMO, no help when it would be most welcome.

I do use those same materials as a base layer when dressing for colder temps. I think they work very well in wicking the moisture away from the body.