Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Extra long 200mm cranks messed up my hip!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-16, 11:55 AM
samlochner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just thought I'd share this story with you guys. I messed up my hip and think being tall and cycling with long cranks had something to do with it:
https://tall.life/femoroacetabular-i...-fai-tall-hip/

Let me start by saying that I am a firm believer that people need proportional crank lengths and so tall people need longer cranks, wrote about it here:
https://tall.life/proportional-bike-...r-tall-people/

For me though, I have impingement in my hip joints, and using the longer cranks ironically hurt me.

I have a theory that tall people are more likely to develop FAI, so made me think to post here. If you do decided to go with longer cranks, perhaps check that you have sufficient range of hip motion first. Perhaps irrelevant for most people, but if this helps just one...
Old 04-06-16, 08:57 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by samlochner
Just thought I'd share this story with you guys. I messed up my hip and think being tall and cycling with long cranks had something to do with it:
https://tall.life/femoroacetabular-i...-fai-tall-hip/

Let me start by saying that I am a firm believer that people need proportional crank lengths and so tall people need longer cranks, wrote about it here:
https://tall.life/proportional-bike-...r-tall-people/

For me though, I have impingement in my hip joints, and using the longer cranks ironically hurt me.

I have a theory that tall people are more likely to develop FAI, so made me think to post here. If you do decided to go with longer cranks, perhaps check that you have sufficient range of hip motion first. Perhaps irrelevant for most people, but if this helps just one...
Have you ever had a proper bike fit by a really good bike fitter? Or did you just go to longer cranks because you were tall? I'm 6'5" and am only on 180mm by virtue of a bike fit. I get better muscle recruitment for putting power down with the longer crank, but at no stage did the fitter recommend that I go to a longer crank. My legs are quite long too, and I have good flexibility. My fitter also diagnosed a pelvis issue that a previous fit never picked up, even though the symptom was identified in the fit. I'm now in the process of strengthening up my pelvis to rectify the issue.
Old 04-06-16, 10:03 PM
KBentley57

Bikes: 2010 Felt DA, 2012/6 Felt F5, 2015 Felt AR FRD

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had no idea 200mm cranks even existed. Are you the love child of Shaq and Ming?
Old 04-06-16, 10:13 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5884 Post(s)
Liked 2,727 Times in 1,521 Posts
So, you believe that overly long cranks caused your hip issues, but you say you're (still?) a firm believer in cranks proportioned to size.

I don't get it.

In any case, based on 50+ years riding, I firmly believe that the advantages of longer cranks are over rated. Compared to shorter cranks, they increase knee and hip stress, with no offsetting benefit. That said, some taller riders can turn them, but I still don't believe they're better off doing so.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-07-16, 12:01 AM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
My understanding from my discussion with my fitter, was that longer cranks work as they recruit muscles better, generally in taller folk. So better muscle recruitment means more power, or in my particular case, a longer force application in the stroke. If those muscles are recruited on a particular crank length, then there really isn't any need to go to a longer crank. The fit on my road bike is such that 180mm cranks achieve this objective. However I also ride track, and here maxing power output is the pure goal as I'm into sprint stuff, but the fit is such that 175mm cranks get this done. The fitter was an agent for custom cranks at any length, and at no stage tried to upsell me on new longer cranks in either case.

There is a whole lot of misinformation peddled around on the interwebs re crank length. When it boils down to it, unless you're trying to become a better more powerful pedaler, crank length isn't really important, and should really be done under the guidance of a good bike fitter, not just any bike fitter that works with cookie cutter numbers
Old 04-07-16, 02:22 PM
Cosmic Hawk

Bikes: BMC Time Machine TMR01

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'3" with 172.5 cranks. I would never fathom a crank that long. I ride 200 miles a week and don't see anything missing in my ride. I don't see how you can advocate for them and also blame them on your own injury.
Old 04-10-16, 03:35 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
So, you believe that overly long cranks caused your hip issues, but you say you're (still?) a firm believer in cranks proportioned to size.

I don't get it.

In any case, based on 50+ years riding, I firmly believe that the advantages of longer cranks are over rated. Compared to shorter cranks, they increase knee and hip stress, with no offsetting benefit. That said, some taller riders can turn them, but I still don't believe they're better off doing so.
I think somewhere I read that Greg LeMond is doing a lot of experimenting with short cranks and advocates them as more aerodynamic for most riders, easier on a rider's hips etc...

J.