Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Is it OK to replace stock stem wiht a longer stem

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-24, 11:56 AM
Wildspirit78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would like to replace my stock stem with a Kinect Extension Stem for my Prodigy ST. The stock bars are f slightly swept back flatbarz. The stock stem on the ST model is 80mm. The shortest option for a Kinect stem is 90mm. Will it make much of difference if I get the 90mm stem? Pivot stems like Redshift, don't work with flatbars so my options are very limited. Thank you for your insights!
Old 05-24-24, 02:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,266 Times in 2,850 Posts
This is a great resource on stem angling and geometry.
Stems - Soulcraft Cycles

In the end yes it could have an effect it will change your reach. Also you need to make sure your cables and housing and wiring is long enough because this is a suspension stem it will be putting maybe a bit more load on those things but generally 10mm is not going to be a huge change. It is a very ugly stem but quite functional. I love their seatposts but prefer the look of the Redshift stems but the functionality of Kinekt is hard to match.

However it should be noted that Redshift is compatible with flat bars, they have different instructions for the elastomers and don't recommend using it for mountain biking but whoever told you that they aren't compatible with flat bars is completely and utterly full of stinky brown doo-doo. Again though see about re: Kinekt.
Old 05-24-24, 02:34 PM
2old

Liked 866 Times in 655 Posts
It's extremely unlikely that 10mm will affect your comfort (and might make it better) unless you are reaching almost too far now, and the "travel" of the stem won't either unless you cut your housing for the most minimal weight (length). Personally I'm not a fan of Kinekt based on five years experience with their seatpost (after 15 great ones on a Thudbuster that my son is enjoying now).
Old 05-24-24, 04:11 PM
Wildspirit78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was really looking forward to getting a Redshift until I learned that it actually says on the Redshift web site that they work best when the hands are forward of the pivot point on the brake hoods of drop bars and that when the hands are on or behind the pivot point, they don't work. They also say they do not work with swept back bars. In reviews by users, several people have commented that they made a mistake by putting a Redshift on their bike. I agree that the Kinect is very ugly, but my hands, forearms and elbows don't care about looks. What kind of flat bars do you know of that work well with the Redshift. I'dd like to know because I prefer the Redshift too.
Old 05-24-24, 06:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Liked 4,266 Times in 2,850 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildspirit78
I was really looking forward to getting a Redshift until I learned that it actually says on the Redshift web site that they work best when the hands are forward of the pivot point on the brake hoods of drop bars and that when the hands are on or behind the pivot point, they don't work. They also say they do not work with swept back bars. In reviews by users, several people have commented that they made a mistake by putting a Redshift on their bike. I agree that the Kinect is very ugly, but my hands, forearms and elbows don't care about looks. What kind of flat bars do you know of that work well with the Redshift. I'dd like to know because I prefer the Redshift too.
Sure it may say something about drop bars but you are not on drop bars and it doesn't say that it won't work with swept back bars it is just that certain positions won't be as ideal but they mention it working for the Jones bar which is super swept back. However regardless yes Kinekt is better minus looks and looks don't really matter while riding.