Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-23, 12:31 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 9,589 Times in 4,437 Posts
We had a good ride today. The group was almost TOO big at 15 or 16, but it worked out ok.

I am afraid the midweek ride has become too popular, possibly.
Old 06-28-23, 12:35 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mrs datlas and I have used AirBnB for all our recent trips including two times in LA and two times in Spain, Asheville NC, and Charlottesville VA. We pay attention to the reviews and try to use places not only with good ratings but a large number of reviews.

So far we have had very good experiences in all cases. The prices are often much more reasonable than a hotel, and the residential experience feels less touristy and more “native.” Plus we like to shop at local markets and make some meals ourselves, which you cannot easily do in a hotel.
Old 06-28-23, 12:50 PM
seypat

Liked 2,685 Times in 1,592 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
The bees are still present at my house. The will not go away. It has rained for about 2 weeks straight and they are super active all the time. Super aggressive too. I tried to see if I could burn them last night, was about 5 feet away, just trying to tell if they were sleeping, and 5 shot out right at me. Didn’t get stung but WTF.

Crew member told me to pour windex down the hole. Apparently windex kills anything carbon based? Never heard that before. Told me to spray an ant with it, and the ant will fall into pieces.
Go to your local hardware store and get one of these. Stuff it down the hole and do what you need to do.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Danco-4-5-i...cluded/4752551
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-28-23, 12:51 PM
big john

Liked 10,263 Times in 4,975 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
We had a good ride today. The group was almost TOO big at 15 or 16, but it worked out ok.

Are most of them retired? Pretty tough to get a day off during the week for some. There is a Tuesday group near here which had 30 riders yesterday. A friend was there and posted pics. I know some of them still work but many don't.
Old 06-28-23, 12:53 PM
Mojo31
-------

Liked 6,781 Times in 3,676 Posts
Mrs datlas and I have used AirBnB for all our recent trips including two times in LA and two times in Spain, Asheville NC, and Charlottesville VA. We pay attention to the reviews and try to use places not only with good ratings but a large number of reviews.

So far we have had very good experiences in all cases. The prices are often much more reasonable than a hotel, and the residential experience feels less touristy and more “native.” Plus we like to shop at local markets and make some meals ourselves, which you cannot easily do in a hotel.
We are the opposite. When we travel, we want nothing to do with the kitchen. We like the amenities such as maid service, room service, spas, etc. We don't want to clean, strip beds, or do anything else other than walk out the door when we are done.

Our kids, on the other hand, stay in AirBnBs almost exclusively unless mom and dad are springing for a hotel room for them.
Old 06-28-23, 01:05 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 5,667 Times in 2,412 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Go to your local hardware store and get one of these. Stuff it down the hole and do what you need to do.

Currently can’t get close enough. They even attack at night.
Old 06-28-23, 01:06 PM
bampilot06

Mojo how do you like the 40? I bought a 40 for one of my bikes but when I mounted it, just seemed way too narrow. Traded it for a 42.
Old 06-28-23, 01:39 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Work laptop went wonky. This may be interesting.
Old 06-28-23, 01:45 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mojo how do you like the 40? I bought a 40 for one of my bikes but when I mounted it, just seemed way too narrow. Traded it for a 42.
Just finished the install yesterday evening, so haven't had a chance to ride it yet. Working all day today and tomorrow, so Friday morning will likely be the first ride. Too stinkin hot to ride after work. When I got home yesterday at about 5:30, it was 107 plus whatever the heat index was. Should be highs in the high-90s by Saturday, so things are looking up!

The one thing about the bars I bought is that the drops flare to about the same width as the drops on my prior 42 bar. It's narrower at the hoods.
Old 06-28-23, 02:02 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Liked 13,274 Times in 6,826 Posts
Lost my phone on this mornings ride. Never heard it fall out of my pocket, didn’t even notice. Got home and my wife was talking to someone on the phone, and thanking this person. She then looks at me, and says where’s your phone. Still don’t know how it fell out of my pocket.
Good samaritan found it, was able to get it back.
An imaginary friend from a bowhunting/archery forum invited me to Montana to hunt, almost 20 years ago now. While I was there he took me up into the mountains above Boseman to visit a frozen waterfall. At one point, he saw a moose and her calf and stopped the truck, so I could get out and take a picture (with my camera, not my cell phone) and apparently I dropped my phone there because when we got back to his house I couldn't find it. 5 months later, I get a call from a guy who'd found it and put it in a bag of rice to dry out. By then, of course, I'd gotten another phone so I told him he could keep it.

Thankfully i’m not a doctor or something.
I think we're all thankful for that....

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-28-23, 02:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Well, you wouldn't be renting a room in "your house" typically, although that's how it started out.

Most Air BnBs are bought for the purpose of renting, and the owners do not live in them. As an owner, you just have to be prepared to accept damage and breakages.

I don't mind being a commercial landlord, but I have noooo interest in being a residential landlord whether long or short term.
That's what I heard from a coworker who rents out a house - it's not worth it. It didn't help that her feckless husband gave one tenant their security deposit back without checking the place first.

EDIT: Mrs. GJ seems to think we should buy a house in our eventual retirement destination and rent it out till we're ready to retire. I'm thinking not.

Old 06-28-23, 02:32 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by big john
Are most of them retired? Pretty tough to get a day off during the week for some. There is a Tuesday group near here which had 30 riders yesterday. A friend was there and posted pics. I know some of them still work but many don't.
I estimate about 50-50 retired. The ones who are not retired are professionals in healthcare/finance/IT who have some flexibility in their schedules. It’s a good mix, although a bit on the “mature” side. The youngest are in their 40’s. Most in 50’s or 60’s, oldest is 78.
Likes For datlas:
Old 06-28-23, 02:46 PM
Mojo31
-------

I estimate about 50-50 retired. The ones who are not retired are professionals in healthcare/finance/IT who have some flexibility in their schedules. It’s a good mix, although a bit on the “mature” side. The youngest are in their 40’s. Most in 50’s or 60’s, oldest is 78.
Curious about your preferences for the Habanero over the Roubaix. Can you tell me why you prefer the one over the other?
Old 06-28-23, 02:55 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,602 Times in 4,586 Posts
PCOTD

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 06-28-23, 03:11 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
That's what I heard from a coworker who rents out a house - it's not worth it. It didn't help that her feckless husband gave one tenant their security deposit back without checking the place first.

EDIT: Mrs. GJ seems to think we should buy a house in our eventual retirement destination and rent it out till we're ready to retire. I'm thinking not.
We tossed around the idea of just renting the Austin house - stupid cheap by current standards and can't hurt to have. However, yeah... neither of us wanted to deal with it from 1000 miles away, so just cashed out the appreciation.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 06-28-23, 03:16 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
PCOTD

Proper. Speedo in km also. Sweet.
Old 06-28-23, 03:22 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Curious about your preferences for the Habanero over the Roubaix. Can you tell me why you prefer the one over the other?
Three reasons jump to mind:

1. The fit is perfect on the Habanero. It was custom built for my odd body proportions. The Roubaix is stock so has a shorter flipped up stem and seat cranked up very high, just does not “feel” as good.

2. This may be my idiot mechanic, but the shifting on the Roubaix is not great. I get it perfect on the stand but on the road I often have to shift down x 2 then back up x 1 to shift down. I think there is drag on the internal cable that I cannot fix. It’s been like this from the start, though.

3. This may be silly but I also like the aesthetic of bare Ti.
Old 06-28-23, 03:26 PM
Mojo31
-------

Three reasons jump to mind:

1. The fit is perfect on the Habanero. It was custom built for my odd body proportions. The Roubaix is stock so has a shorter flipped up stem and seat cranked up very high, just does not “feel” as good.

2. This may be my idiot mechanic, but the shifting on the Roubaix is not great. I get it perfect on the stand but on the road I often have to shift down x 2 then back up x 1 to shift down. I think there is drag on the internal cable that I cannot fix. It’s been like this from the start, though.

3. This may be silly but I also like the aesthetic of bare Ti.
Thanks for that! Sometimes "feel" is a big player.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 06-28-23, 03:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Proper. Speedo in km also. Sweet.
3700 rpm at 62 mph? Man, I hope that's 3rd gear.

Old 06-28-23, 03:53 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 2022 Gt Avalanche

Liked 2,163 Times in 1,370 Posts
Twice in recent years when the family gathered at The Ancestral Home, we shared an Air BnB with my brother and SIL. It was a pretty spacious apartment, on top of what used to be the grocery store in a slightly larger small town close to where The Ancestral Home is. Both bro and SIL, and Mrs. GJ and I have issues with being around crowds of people for extended periods, even (or maybe especially) our own family, so it was good to have a place to escape to. AND we didn't have to worry about my one BIL draining the hot water heater with his long showers.
A few months ago I switched to cold showers exclusively. It can replace the second cup of coffee of a morning. Of course here in the subtropics, a cold shower isn't really cold. I got my chance to try really cold ones on this recent trip. I liked them even better.
Old 06-28-23, 03:57 PM
MoAlpha
dot dash

Bikes: Shmikes

Liked 6,203 Times in 3,339 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
A few months ago I switched to cold showers exclusively. It can replace the second cup of coffee of a morning. Of course here in the subtropics, a cold shower isn't really cold. I got my chance to try really cold ones on this recent trip. I liked them even better.
You're a hard man, Seedy.
Old 06-28-23, 03:57 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 2022 Gt Avalanche

Liked 2,163 Times in 1,370 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat

Access Denied
Old 06-28-23, 04:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

This is exactly why I told Mrs. GeneJockey we should stay in AirBnB's in the neighborhoods we're looking at for retirement. Best way to get a feel for a neighborhood is to live in it, not just drive there and walk around a bit. See for yourself how "walkable" it is.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-28-23, 05:03 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Liked 3,475 Times in 1,993 Posts

unlike you it should be less popular.
Old 06-28-23, 05:03 PM
bampilot06

An imaginary friend from a bowhunting/archery forum invited me to Montana to hunt, almost 20 years ago now. While I was there he took me up into the mountains above Boseman to visit a frozen waterfall. At one point, he saw a moose and her calf and stopped the truck, so I could get out and take a picture (with my camera, not my cell phone) and apparently I dropped my phone there because when we got back to his house I couldn't find it. 5 months later, I get a call from a guy who'd found it and put it in a bag of rice to dry out. By then, of course, I'd gotten another phone so I told him he could keep it.

I think we're all thankful for that....

Why, my lack of attention to detail? accident prone? fear of heights? lack of patience?

I do write like one though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.