Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wahoo and Cycleops training software question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 10:07 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Looking at upgrading my 18 year old Fluid2 with a smart trainer and the Kickr snap and Cycleops M2 are my top picks right now. I want to stay with wheel on because I have both Campy and Shimano drivetrains and don't want to deal with swapping cassettes in a direct drive trainer so these are the top picks.

I am finding information on what free software comes with the trainers confusing at best. For Cycleops, I see people mentioning Virtualtraining that comes free, but there is nothing in the app store for apple matching this. Did Virtual training become Rouvy at some point? If so isn't Rouvy a paid subscription so I would have to pay to do simple spin down calibration? Or am I missing something.

For Wahoo it seems less confusing and looks like there is a wahoo fitness app in the app store that would work with the snap trainer.

I plan on trying out Zwift, Rouvy and trainerroad. Probably going to go with something like trainerroad because I would rather watch recorded races from nbc sports and whatnot rather than watching virtual stuff of me. I will be using my iphone to control it and screen mirror with a lightning to hdmi to the big tv if I decide I do lift zwift or Rouvy type software.

What software do you use if you have a cycleops or wahoo trainer? What is available for free that comes with each?
Old 12-10-18, 11:57 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
I can't speak to the others, but Wahoo does have a fitness app, but if you have an Elemnt or Elemnt Bolt, it will connect and control your smart trainer (targeted watts, resistance, level, erg mode, etc.). It will also allow you to virtually ride any route that you have created in RideWithGPS (for example). None of these are like Zwift or FulGaz where you are in a virtual environment (on TV). I find myself using Zwift less and less and using my Elemnt Bolt more and more while watching something on TV I am interested in, such as GCN or GCN Tech, etc....
Old 12-10-18, 12:49 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
I'm also in the market for a Wahoo smart trainer, but am undecided between the Kickr Snap (wheel on) and the Kickr Core (direct drive). I had a wheel-on trainer many years ago, and it really wore down my rear tire and created a lot of black rubber dust. Are the newer trainers any better for this? Do most people use separate "trainer wheels" to avoid wear on their nicer road tires?

Are there other advantages to the direct drive trainers other than wheel wear and tear? Is the road feel significantly different?
Old 12-10-18, 12:59 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jitteringjr
Looking at upgrading my 18 year old Fluid2 with a smart trainer and the Kickr snap and Cycleops M2 are my top picks right now. I want to stay with wheel on because I have both Campy and Shimano drivetrains and don't want to deal with swapping cassettes in a direct drive trainer so these are the top picks.

I am finding information on what free software comes with the trainers confusing at best. For Cycleops, I see people mentioning Virtualtraining that comes free, but there is nothing in the app store for apple matching this. Did Virtual training become Rouvy at some point? If so isn't Rouvy a paid subscription so I would have to pay to do simple spin down calibration? Or am I missing something.

For Wahoo it seems less confusing and looks like there is a wahoo fitness app in the app store that would work with the snap trainer.

I plan on trying out Zwift, Rouvy and trainerroad. Probably going to go with something like trainerroad because I would rather watch recorded races from nbc sports and whatnot rather than watching virtual stuff of me. I will be using my iphone to control it and screen mirror with a lightning to hdmi to the big tv if I decide I do lift zwift or Rouvy type software.

What software do you use if you have a cycleops or wahoo trainer? What is available for free that comes with each?
Rouvy is the Cyelops app. There is some free stuff but most of the training options are paid but I think they do 30 day trial. But you can use Rouvy, Zwift, Trainerroad or Wahoo or most apps with any trainer basically (smart or dumb). I had a Magnus for about a week and tested Rouvy with that and a dumb trainer and I didn't think it was worth it. Now they have added the Augmented Reality option and I watched review and it looks cool. It's basically Zwift laid over real video of real courses which is more interesting to me then what Zwift offers. I also tried Zwift and wouldn't pay for it. Currently I'm using the Wahoo app to track my rides on trainer with speed/cadence/hr sensors but I'm not using smart trainer now so I don't have feedback/adjustment. But all of the apps have some sort of trial period so try them all
Old 12-10-18, 01:37 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts

I have a M2, one classy thing is it gives cadence, power, and speed, not just power (Saris/PowerTap/Cycleops patented a cool power spike = cadence algorithm).

Also no, you do not need to purchase any type of rouvey subscription to calibrate. There is a phone and computer app for Rovey, you can use it for spin down calibrations, a 1 hour free ride, and firmware updates without subscribing.

I use my cycleops magnus (or M2 as you called it) with Trainerroad, Zwift, and occasionally, Xert.

I normally powermatch mine to a G3 powertap hub power meter perfectly fine as well.
Old 12-10-18, 05:48 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by firebird854
I have a M2, one classy thing is it gives cadence, power, and speed, not just power (Saris/PowerTap/Cycleops patented a cool power spike = cadence algorithm).

Also no, you do not need to purchase any type of rouvey subscription to calibrate. There is a phone and computer app for Rovey, you can use it for spin down calibrations, a 1 hour free ride, and firmware updates without subscribing.

I use my cycleops magnus (or M2 as you called it) with Trainerroad, Zwift, and occasionally, Xert.

I normally powermatch mine to a G3 powertap hub power meter perfectly fine as well.
M2 is just the new name for Magnus as I take it. So can you only do a one hour ride at a time with rouvy for free? Can you put in erg mode, manually change resistance and stuff without a subscription?
Old 12-11-18, 11:42 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
As for wheel on / wheel off - I believe most wheel-on trainers need to be calibrated every time you use them, whereas I calibrate my kickr about once every other month with no particular issue. Wheel off usually is capable of simulating steeper grades, which may or may not matter to you. No wear and tear on your rear wheel so they're also cleaner to run in your den or wherever.
I personally like zwift because seeing some fake guy go by me on a fake bike motivates me to ride harder than watching a show on TV. Trying to keep up with a fast group, or a race is motivating too. YMMV. I can't STAND indoor trainers for more than 30 min normally but somehow I can tolerate 4 hours on zwift. Go figure. Trainerroad is superior if you just want to do hard core workouts though.
Old 12-11-18, 03:41 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 74 Posts

M2 is just the new name for Magnus as I take it. So can you only do a one hour ride at a time with rouvy for free? Can you put in erg mode, manually change resistance and stuff without a subscription?
Yes, you can enter the grade, set a power to erg to, etc. and it will record, presenting the information in realtime, as well as giving you the ability to upload it.
Old 12-12-18, 04:17 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
I'm also in the market for a Wahoo smart trainer, but am undecided between the Kickr Snap (wheel on) and the Kickr Core (direct drive). I had a wheel-on trainer many years ago, and it really wore down my rear tire and created a lot of black rubber dust. Are the newer trainers any better for this? Do most people use separate "trainer wheels" to avoid wear on their nicer road tires?

Are there other advantages to the direct drive trainers other than wheel wear and tear? Is the road feel significantly different?
I'm finding the road feel to be pretty realistic with my Kickr Core, but I can't compare it to a Snap as I've never been on one. It is certainly much better than the Fluid2 that I have. When I used the Fluid2 I didn't use a special wheel or tire and didn't have any issue.