Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Cheaper Mahle-like system?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-22, 07:54 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts

I recently was made aware that Mahle makes a very lightweight Ebike system.

I tried looking up bikes that used the system but they all were extremely expensive, like $7k.

Is there like a Chinese cheap brand that has something similar for 1/10 the cost?
Old 10-11-22, 08:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
No, similar you don't really get, you can get plenty of cheap systems that is easy but support and quality can lack hugely. Mahle is a German company like Bosch and Brose they make a lot of consumer products though in their case like Brose more on the automotive side and they make good quality stuff and it does cost some money but for good reason it has excellent support behind it and that is important.

The Specialized Vado SL using the mid-drive Mahle motor starts at $3,750 and is a real nice ride and quite light. It comes with 2 years of warranty on the electronic components (and sometimes they help out beyond that) and if you register your bike within 90 days of purchase you get a lifetime warranty on their frames and forks which is pretty damn useful. Quality components are abound on it so it should last a good long while and give you good service and when you need support Specialized is really good with that.

Plenty of really low initial costs bikes on the market it is well and truly flooded. However they are best if you are mechanically and electrically inclined and don't mind going at problems yourself or waiting a while to get responses from some of these companies and get parts that may or may not work or fit (even though it is the company who's name is on the product sending those parts).
Old 10-11-22, 10:05 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
AFAICT, the Chinese have chosen not to copy any of the lightweight systems yet. It's possible to use their smaller components and create a relatively light bike (check BMS Systems for relatively light hub motors).
Old 10-12-22, 02:52 PM
kimguroo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
I recently was made aware that Mahle makes a very lightweight Ebike system.

I tried looking up bikes that used the system but they all were extremely expensive, like $7k.

Is there like a Chinese cheap brand that has something similar for 1/10 the cost?
what is your budget and what is your preference for bike weight?

sounds like you are asking for impossible things.
1/10 cost will be $700 and I don’t think there is any ebikes in that price range and weight below 40LBS.

I think you will be able to get between 3-5k for Mahle system bikes.
such as orbea gain and Cannondale road ebikes.

you can get 7-9 speed with drop bar Chinese ebike but it will be between $1500-2k and still heavy and components are just mediocre.

recently I saw YouTube video and he was testing ebike with regular group riding and he found that he was hard time to keep speed at flat road because ebike system cut off power at 25km. Hill climbing was only advantage.