Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Roof Rack Or Trunk Rack

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Roof Rack Or Trunk Rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-11, 01:59 PM
Roustabout

Bikes: Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roof Rack Or Trunk Rack

Folks, I have a 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI in which I enjoy getting excellent mileage. Question I have I is whether to bite the bullet and get a roof rack, at relative high expense plus a decrease in vehicle mileage; or get a trunk rack, at less expense and less durability (???) to fit on the back of the Jetta. A hitch mount rack is out of the question. Believe it or not, if one puts a hitch (aftermarket) on a Jetta, it will void the powertrain warranty if something goes awry. I called the VW customer relations and they said that for all they know, if one has a trailer hitch on the back of a Jetta, they might be pulling a load which would void the warranty. What a crock. But nonetheless, which to you BikeForum people is best, roof rack or trunk rack? Also what brands would you recommend and why. My wife and I are planning on hauling our touring bikes to locales in the US and then do some credit-card touring from a central location. Sorry for the long query.

Roustabout
Old 07-15-11, 04:05 PM
Looigi

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Trailer hitch voiding your warranty??? That's bogus. Does it say that in writing somewhere? Does it exclude towing or specifically exclude a hitch?
Old 07-15-11, 04:50 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
I either use my pickup truck or a rear mount rack. Current rack is a Saris Bones 2 I use it to haul my big city bike. I currently have it mounted on a 2007 Honda Accord sedan. It is rock solid at interstate speeds when loaded. As far as I can tell limited to no hit on mileage.

I have had Yakima roof racks in the past and was always pleased with them. My biggest problem with the roof rack is overhead clearance, I crunched a couple of bikes on a low hanging tree limb.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 07-15-11, 07:00 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Liked 2,207 Times in 1,252 Posts
Roof racks make it easier to deal with getting stuff in and out of the trunk/hatch. Yes, it affects gas mileage.
Old 07-15-11, 07:13 PM
DEK

Bikes: '11 Felt Z85

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I've had the Saris Bones 3 bike rack for years and love it. It's very versatile. I've used it on several different cars including my current Dodge Magnum. https://www.bikerackshops.com/brands/saris/bones_3_bike/
Old 07-15-11, 07:21 PM
Velo_Tut
+

Bikes: Caad9 / Giant Advanced TCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By all means, use a roof rack. As Steve B. mentioned, roof racks allow you to have easier access into the rear of the vehicle. We used the Saris trunk racks and have loaded three heavy Police bikes on the rear without any problems and the rack still seems stable. You do have to watch out where the pedals are placed when putting them on the Saris becasue the pedals can sometimes they can scratch the paint on the trunk down to bare metal. I have a Yakima roof rack on my personal car and I have absolutely no regrets. Another alternative is the Seasucker bike rack. Expensive, but it looks pretty sweet. They can be used on the vehicle's body, windows, etc. Might be worth looking into. www.seasucker.com
Old 07-15-11, 07:35 PM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Roof racks
Lower mileage - by a smidge. As gas prices rise , 'smidge' = $
Access to trunk.
PIA lifting bikes onto it.
Car looks like TdF team vehicle... except, you're not in the TdF.
"Serious" riders seem to prefer them.

Trunk racks
Easier to load bikes on rack.
Hinders access to trunk.
Potential for paint damage from bikes.
Potential for bike damage in rear end collisions.
Suburbanites seem to prefer them.

Neither are perfect. All things considered, roof racks strike me as the best compromise. You risk back injury loading them, and suffer a little mileage loss. But you look "serious" to the non-cycling world and you don't have cringe each time a car comes up behind you in traffic.
Old 07-15-11, 07:44 PM
Velo_Tut
+

Bikes: Caad9 / Giant Advanced TCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dahut
Roof racks
You risk back injury loading them
Hahahaha . . . how heavy are your bikes?
Old 07-15-11, 09:06 PM
AMAlex

Bikes: Felt F60

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can access my trunk with the saris bones 3 trunk rack without any problems, its like its part of the trunk.
Old 07-15-11, 09:33 PM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Velo_Tut
Hahahaha . . . how heavy are your bikes?
I hurt my back this season moving my road bike (about 20 lbs) from one side of the garage to the other. I'm only now getting beyond it.
Do not underestimate what lifting even a small weight in an awkward way can do.

Last edited by dahut; 07-15-11 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-15-11, 09:34 PM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AMAlex
I can access my trunk with the saris bones 3 trunk rack without any problems, its like its part of the trunk.
While loaded with bikes?
Old 07-15-11, 09:40 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Roustabout, Mileage is going to be effected by any rack system, just the way it is. In my experiance the roof rack was slightly more economical.

Brad
Old 07-15-11, 10:07 PM
BikingCivic

Bikes: Raleigh M-40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive been going through some headaches with a decision like this also....a hitch can only handle on our cars (i have a 2010 civic sedan) 200lbs tongue weight. Bike rack plus bike and hitting bumps could be fatal to the frame and suspension of your vehicle. Thats just what the hitch guy told me, and i somewhat believe it. A roof rack i have to avoid, because you can't go through automatic car washes with one on. My car came with free unlimited car washes lol. So i decided on a trunk mount, Im thinking the Yakima SuperJoe Pro 3.