Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Suntour Cyclone M-II Question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-22, 05:09 PM
nick9826

Bikes: 1985 Nishiki Continental

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi,

Let me preface this by saying I am relatively mechanically inclined, but know next to nothing about bikes.

I have recently purchased a 1985 Nishiki Continental equipped with a Suntour Cyclone M-II rear derailleur. It mostly works well, but there is a persistent noise while riding. I believe the derailleur has two lower jockey wheels (if this is the correct term). One of them doesn't appear to be doing anything except lightly rubbing the chain. I also don't see this second wheel on any other Suntour Cyclone M-II's pictured online. Can I just remove this? Or is it doing something important that I'm missing?

Any insight as to steps I can take to spruce up my derailleur, and what this second wheel is doing, would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-29-22, 05:48 PM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
This is a rare item. Read more about it here.
Don't remove that third wheel. It's probably not the source of the rubbing.
In all likelihood the drivetrain just needs to be set up correctly. Here's an overview.
Just in case you don't know—the system is friction, not indexed, so it's up the the rider to adjust their shifting to avoid rubbing.
Likes For John Nolan:
Old 05-29-22, 07:07 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
It's possible that either the derailleur hanger or the RD itself is bent. Typically the 3 pulley Suntour is an effective gear. Pics from the back of the drive train showing the chain line would help evaluate the issue..
Likes For clubman:
Old 05-30-22, 12:58 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts
You can get the diagram at www.disraeligears.co.uk
There's also a GT version for bigger cogs.

Likes For Aardwolf:
Old 05-30-22, 06:22 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
I assume you’ve taken the inner cage plate off and cleaned and lubed everything? Did you get everything back together in the correct order?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 05-30-22, 09:44 PM
nick9826

Bikes: 1985 Nishiki Continental

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the responses and for pointing me in the right direction, I've been learning lots!

I now realize that the third pulley wheel only contacts the chain when I'm in certain gears (which makes total sense now that I understand what's going on). I guess when I looked at it before it was in such a position that it was mostly raised above the chain, but just touching enough to make a little noise. The noise doesn't bother me as long as I know that everything is working correctly, so that's all good.

I think a good cleaning and lubing is in order, which is next on the list.
Likes For nick9826:
Old 05-31-22, 01:22 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by nick9826
Thanks for all the responses and for pointing me in the right direction, I've been learning lots!

I now realize that the third pulley wheel only contacts the chain when I'm in certain gears (which makes total sense now that I understand what's going on). I guess when I looked at it before it was in such a position that it was mostly raised above the chain, but just touching enough to make a little noise. The noise doesn't bother me as long as I know that everything is working correctly, so that's all good.
Exactly- the 3rd pulley forms an "elbow" and can take up more slack in the chain without just having a longer "arm."

The small pulley is so that when the chain is taut, the pulley doesn't rub on the cogs as the arm/elbow gets pulled upwards- as I found out by replacing that pulley with a 10 or 11T sealed bearing pulley...

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.