Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thinking about a new hybrid

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-17, 04:45 PM
downeaster59

Bikes: Cannondale Quick CX 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, folks! I'm new to this forum, but not new to biking. I had a Trek 7300 that I liked, and ended up selling it a few years back. Now, I'm seriously thinking about getting another hybrid and I'm here looking for some advice and input.

I'm 58 years old, about 6' tall and weigh about 184. I have long arms and legs for my height. I'm in reasonably good condition. (I can do an eight mile walk and average about four miles an hour.) I am looking to use my bike mainly on rail trails (hard surfaces mostly, with occasional spots of loose gravel and bumps) and sometimes on paved surfaces or the carriage roads at Acadia (I live in Maine). I don't plan to take it off-road at all. I'd like something that is a good compromise between a comfy ride, easy pedaling, and decent performance on various surfaces. A hybrid seems like the best bike for my intended use.

I have emailed five bike shops within an hour's drive of where I live to seek their input. Here are the recommendations I have received: the Trek FX 2 Disc, the Cannondale Quick 5 Disc, the Trek Verve 2 and DS 2, and the Cannondale Quick CX series. I'd like to stay in the $500-1000 price range. The shops that stock Giant and Specialized haven't responded yet.

I'll have a day or two later this week when I can visit a couple of shops and test ride a few of these and see how I like them, as well as how I like the bike shops themselves.

Any feedback about any of these bikes? What would be their strengths and weaknesses vis-a-vis my intended use? Are there any other bikes I should seriously consider? What should I be looking for when I test these bikes out?

Thanks for your input!
Old 07-10-17, 08:24 PM
Cgswss

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Limited experience on these but my opinion...

I am about the same size as you are with a little more weight. For many yraes I rode road bikes and have had to take a bunch of time off because of a knee operation. I have tried a number of the bikes that have been suggested to you. For me, the Cannondale quick CX4 felt the best. Now realize that every bike can be adjusted, but I found many of the bike I rode felt cramped to me. The Cannondale seemed to have more room and I enjoyed the ride more.

I have to honest, the Cannondale dealer had my old Cannondale road bike in for service and I told him I wanted to test a CX4 when I came back if he had one to fit me. So it is very possible that he set up that bike "just right for me" based on having my road bike there. But anyway, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

BTW the Cannondale gear set gives you a 48/11 top gear, so you can ride with road bikes if you do any organized rides.

Last edited by Cgswss; 07-10-17 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-10-17, 09:04 PM
1911bg

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really like my DS 2.Had it 3 week tomorrow and lack 300 miles by 12 miles which I hope to get tomorrow.
Old 07-11-17, 04:23 AM
downeaster59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your replies. Looking at the options again, the Trek FX & Verve and the Cannondale Quick (non-CX) are a little cheaper, but I wonder how their tires would fare on rail trails or carriage roads. I'm beginning to think that my choice might narrow down to the Trek DS series vs. the Cannondale Quick CX series. I've also read good things about the Specialized Crosstrail series.

I've never ridden a Cannondale before, so I might try the Quick CX first. That bike shop also offers discounts on accessories if I buy a bike from them, and they have a good reputation in the area. All good incentives. Then I may try the Trek DS, and go from there.

If anyone else wants to share any experiences or opinions, please do so! Thanks.
Old 07-11-17, 05:16 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Given that you said that you'll rarely take it off the pavement, I don't think the DS is the best choice. In the Trek line, the FX and Verve are both good choices with rigid forks for efficient pedaling. I own both types of bikes -- I have an older Verve with a suspension fork (similar to a DS) and I have an older Trek 750 with a rigid fork (similar to an FX). I've gotten to where I use the 750 at least as much as the Verve, and that's both on and off the road. The tires, particularly the Verve's 45mm wide tires, will be superb in the type of conditions you're talking about (light gravel). The FX will be fine also, but its tires are narrower.

Most companies offer bikes in these same market categories.

Trek's DS is like Giant's Roam is like Cannondale's Catalyst is like Specialized's Crosstrail
Trek's Verve is like Giant's Cypress is like Cannondale's Adventure is like Specialized's Crossroads
Trek's FX is like Giant's Escape is like Cannondale's Quick is like Specialized's Sirrus.

The one bike type not yet mentioned is Specialized's Roll. It's a rigid frame bike that has 2.75" wide tires. It's not a "fat bike", but these tires are larger than on most hybrids. This could be a boon to comfort for times when you're not on the paved trail.

You have a ton of choices, and each of these bikes will fit you a little differently. Give as many a test ride as you possibly can, and good luck!
Old 07-11-17, 06:29 AM
Cgswss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as accessories, I'm simple there. I have a wireless computer with cadence (mine is a cat eye only because that is what the dealer had in stock), I little underseat waterproof pouch with a CO2 inflators, extra tube, and multi function tool with tire irons.

I always have computers wth cadence because I have had two operations on my left knee and one on my right. IMHO pushing a big gear at slow rpms is a great way to blow out your knees. I use all those gears to keep my old legs at 80 rpm, which works best for me. As far as brands on the other stuff, I just asked the salesperson what SHE would choose for her bike, and went with that. I have one of those little review mirrors on my sunglasses. Don't like it much, but I can't turn my neck the way I used to.

I also made a bracket that clamps to my handle bars and is drilled and taped for a water bottle mount. With that, my water bottle is up by my hands and I don't have to bend over to get it. I have no idea if they make an item like that, but I'd bet some one does. (I have a CNC mill and turning center, and I love to make stuff)

I did change my tires. The ones that come with it are perfectly good and you don't have to change them but I happen to love Michelin tires. I went the oppset of what most people would go on this type of bike. I went to a 700c x 25 pro4 endurance. I haven't been ridding for years, but back when I was riding a lot, I switched brands a number of times and ended up always going back to Michelin. I'm sure there are better tires out there, but I got a super discount on anything I bought with the bike so I got a set of these. I only put about 50 miles on the panaracer hardpack 38c tires it came with and had no complaints, I just wanted the smaller tires I was used to.

Last edited by Cgswss; 07-11-17 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-11-17, 07:39 AM
1911bg

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The DS 2 has a lock out feature on the frt fork you can lock it and make it rigid on the fly.Best of both worlds.May be a little heaver than a rigid but not enough to matter to me.
Old 07-11-17, 08:38 AM
JohnnyMordoc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I am in the same boat - looking for a Hybrid type bike. I borrowed my bother-in-laws 10+ year old Cannondale w/no suspension and it I felt it in my shoulders and arms - granted the bike was not "fit' for me.

Is there any ranking of the brands - it seems like most, if not all the frames are aluminum and made in China (some Taiwan) and all the running gear is Shamanio (Taiwan).

Front fork suspension - manual lockouts, cable on bar vs. auto-sensing (Specialized has this - maybe others).

Most of the shops in my area carry the Trek, Norco, Cannondale (more road bikes), Giant, Marin, Felt and Specialized.

It is a bit overwhelming - I am at the point to where I am going to start test riding.

Some brands look to be clearing out the 2017's for the 2018 models and I might be able to save some $$$

I am leaning toward disk brakes and look to be riding for fitness, bike path, street and dirt - might be adventurous and commute to work or do 25+ mile ride.

I am like downeaster59 - looking for some options.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-11-17, 09:41 AM
Cgswss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure you know that the "old" alum bikes were ultra stiff. I'm old enough that I used to only want to ride double butted steel bikes because the ride quality was so much better the alum and carbon bikes. My first experience with alum bikes was a Cannondale Mtb. That bike beat the crap out of me, but climbed like no other! The first alum bike I had that had a great ride was the Cannondale road bike with the 2.8 frame. I put about a zillion miles on that bike and loved it. Just have to be ultra carful with it as the center section of the top tube is like a pop can, you can actually squeeze it I. With your bare hands. I never thought it would hold up, but I must be very lucky with mine because it never failed me. Mine is an all Mavic bike. (And its black and yellow to boot). That said, my new Cannondale hybrid feels stiff and climbs great, but it rides soft and dosent beat me up. My son was all " carbon fiber" and frankly I hated his first Trek CF bike. But his last CF bike rode much better but didn't fit me at all. (He is 5'11" and I'm 6'1" so you would think we could ride the same frame, but all of his Trek bikes have felt way too small to me. Maybe it's because I carry more weight the he does (kind way of saying he has a much smaller waist line then me) I'm sure you find one you fall in love with and keep forever.
Old 07-11-17, 11:25 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by JohnnyMordoc
Is there any ranking of the brands - it seems like most, if not all the frames are aluminum and made in China (some Taiwan) and all the running gear is Shamanio (Taiwan).
Not really -- not like we commonly see for automotive reliability rankings and such anyway. Any modern bike frame is going to have good construction and will be durable. Most of the componentry will come from Shimano (Japan, Taiwan, and China) or Sram (I've seen only Taiwan and China for Sram).

More important metrics are bike fit and finish. It needs to fit you well and you need to love the color and style of it. Brand doesn't really matter much. Nearly all of the major bike brands have a model in whatever market niche you're looking at.
Old 07-11-17, 12:26 PM
downeaster59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Decision made!

I went to Ski Rack Sports in Bangor, ME. They carry Cannondale and Giant bikes, among others. I test rode a Cannondale Quick CX 4. It has 38cc tires that should work well on rail trails. It did fine on my little test loop on pavement, and reviews I've read online say it's better on rail trails and similar roads/paths. Disc brakes, 24 speed, shock absorbing front fork (that can be locked when needed). It felt a little lighter than I expected, and pedaling on pavement was easier than I expected. Their price was good - $599. The large frame was the best fit. They offered a 10% discount on any accessories I buy if I buy a bike from them, so I took advantage of that. They also offer free tune-ups for up to one year after purchase. The folks there got the bike ready, and helped me set up my new trunk-mounted rack. better service than I have had with my previous bike/bike shop. I'll test my new ride out on the local rail trail soon. So far, I'm very pleased with my purchase and with the shop.

I will be able to tell you more once I've put a few miles on it!
Old 07-11-17, 12:31 PM
Cgswss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm so glad you tried it and liked it. I'm sure you will love it the more you get used to it
Old 07-11-17, 02:36 PM
downeaster59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took it out for a little nine mile run on the nearby rail trail.

First impressions: it feels easier to pedal on any surface than I remember my Trek 7300 being. The 38cc tires do handle the rail trail surfaces very well. (This rail trail is a bit rough in spots, as ATVs also use it and it's not maintained that regularly.) Yet, it doesn't feel that pokey on pavement as some hybrids do. The ride is generally comfortable throughout. Shifting is easy. I have not tried the lockout feature of the front fork yet. The seat is good, but at some future point I might want to upgrade it to something more comfortable.

I like the flat black look on the newer CX models, and also the fact that the "Cannondale" logo/name is much more understated now. I saw a leftover 2016 version they offered for 20% off. But I didn't like the color, and the tires looked more geared for pavement than gravel.

Overall, I am quite pleased with my new CX 4. It seems to handle its intended uses very well so far. I haven't tried it on hills yet, but that will come.

Last edited by downeaster59; 07-11-17 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-11-17, 02:38 PM
jase33

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS 4, 2014 Niner RLT 9 [storage], K2 Shadow 9 [indoor trainer]

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by downeaster59
I took it out for a little nine mile run on the nearby rail trail.

First impressions: it feels easier to pedal on any surface than I remember my Trek 7300 being. The 38cc tires do handle the rail trail surfaces very well. (This rail trail is a bit rough in spots, as ATVs also use it and it's not maintained that regularly.) Yet, it doesn't feel that pokey on pavement as some hybrids do. The ride is generally comfortable throughout. Shifting is easy. I have not tried the lockout feature of the front fork yet. The seat is good, but at some future point I might want to upgrade it to something more comfortable.

Overall, I am quite pleased with it. It seems to handle its intended uses very well so far. I haven't tried it on hills yet, but that will come.
The Cannondale CX is nice bike. Congrats!
Old 07-11-17, 04:10 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts

I like the flat black look on the newer CX models, and also the fact that the "Cannondale" logo/name is much more understated now. I saw a leftover 2016 version they offered for 20% off. But I didn't like the color, and the tires looked more geared for pavement than gravel.
Very nice bike, good choice.
I love that CX4 color name: Nearly Black
When I selected my hybrid bikes in 2013, which I still love 4 years later, colors had everything to do with my selections.
Old 07-11-17, 06:59 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by BiciMan
...colors had everything to do with my selections.
As they should, in my opinion. Besides how the bike actually fits you, the color and style of the bike is what you notice and remember most about it. A bike you like is a bike you ride. Fit and finish are both very influential on how much you like (and, thus, ride) your bike.
Old 07-12-17, 07:52 AM
JohnnyMordoc

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
As they should, in my opinion. Besides how the bike actually fits you, the color and style of the bike is what you notice and remember most about it. A bike you like is a bike you ride. Fit and finish are both very influential on how much you like (and, thus, ride) your bike.
Looks good from the website - you have perked my interest in them. Something about the way the frame sits - even on my brother-in-law's vintage one.

Congrats!
Old 07-12-17, 01:28 PM
downeaster59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now it's a matter of getting my leg muscles used to bike riding again! I did nine miles yesterday and eleven miles today. I probably won't push it much more than that for the time being. I want to be able to tackle some longer rides in my area and at Acadia by September/October. Those months usually have the best bike-riding weather of the year in these parts.

I bought a few accessories, but decided to hold off on any others until I've used my bike for a while, and then have a better idea of what I might really need and use.

There's a little soreness in my behind. That could be simply from not having used a bike for several years. Or, it could mean that I may want/need a more cushy seat. We shall see. Cannondale recommends taking a new bike in for a tune-up or check-up 30 days after it was purchased. I'll do that, and I'll decide by then about the seat. Or, would padded bicycle shorts do the trick? Just thought of that...
Old 07-12-17, 07:40 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Now it's a matter of getting my leg muscles used to bike riding again! I did nine miles yesterday and eleven miles today. I probably won't push it much more than that for the time being. I want to be able to tackle some longer rides in my area and at Acadia by September/October. Those months usually have the best bike-riding weather of the year in these parts.

I bought a few accessories, but decided to hold off on any others until I've used my bike for a while, and then have a better idea of what I might really need and use.

There's a little soreness in my behind. That could be simply from not having used a bike for several years. Or, it could mean that I may want/need a more cushy seat. We shall see. Cannondale recommends taking a new bike in for a tune-up or check-up 30 days after it was purchased. I'll do that, and I'll decide by then about the seat. Or, would padded bicycle shorts do the trick? Just thought of that...

I'm thinking of taking a trip to that beautiful Acadia area, and I appreciate hearing your season preference.

That's plenty of riding starting out. Your body has to adapt, and it will. I learned a long time ago to make sure I ride on the top of my femurs and nowhere else, and to monitor my position constantly, especially when I start to tire. I don't use any cushioning, but I do have a couple of Serfas Performance Rx saddles that I got through Amazon. The non-Perfomance version is the original, but although it's probably a little cushier, it was too cushy and especially to broad/wide for me/ for my inner-thighs. We are about the same size, so this may work for you. The other thing is to make sure the shop fits you -or better, fit yourself- making sure you're not riding to far forward. I like it where the top of the femur is resting on the softer back of the saddle, and where I feel as little else on the saddle -no soft tissue, or anything else. A good fit for me means that those bones are back there naturally given the ideal-stretch position I like to ride.

The other consideration is for bigger tires. The more air you're riding on, the cushier. And, try inflating your tires to the minimum, or at least less hard. These days I ride 70 psi, even on my road bike. On bigger tires, you can ride on even less. I just inflate more often to keep it there. You'll be sacrificing a little speed, but it's a cushier ride. I've matured to liking the compromise and enjoying the feel; BUT, you'll have to find what works for you, and a lot depends on the kind of riding you'll be doing. Finally, at this early stage, make sure you picked the right bike and the right size. Enjoy your new bike.
Old 07-13-17, 03:35 AM
downeaster59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BiciMan
I'm thinking of taking a trip to that beautiful Acadia area, and I appreciate hearing your season preference.

That's plenty of riding starting out. Your body has to adapt, and it will. I learned a long time ago to make sure I ride on the top of my femurs and nowhere else, and to monitor my position constantly, especially when I start to tire. I don't use any cushioning, but I do have a couple of Serfas Performance Rx saddles that I got through Amazon. The non-Perfomance version is the original, but although it's probably a little cushier, it was too cushy and especially to broad/wide for me/ for my inner-thighs. We are about the same size, so this may work for you. The other thing is to make sure the shop fits you -or better, fit yourself- making sure you're not riding to far forward. I like it where the top of the femur is resting on the softer back of the saddle, and where I feel as little else on the saddle -no soft tissue, or anything else. A good fit for me means that those bones are back there naturally given the ideal-stretch position I like to ride.

The other consideration is for bigger tires. The more air you're riding on, the cushier. And, try inflating your tires to the minimum, or at least less hard. These days I ride 70 psi, even on my road bike. On bigger tires, you can ride on even less. I just inflate more often to keep it there. You'll be sacrificing a little speed, but it's a cushier ride. I've matured to liking the compromise and enjoying the feel; BUT, you'll have to find what works for you, and a lot depends on the kind of riding you'll be doing. Finally, at this early stage, make sure you picked the right bike and the right size. Enjoy your new bike.
Thanks for all your input.

This "saddle soreness" thing caught me by surprise, because I don't recall ever encountering this before with other bikes I have had. It's been about seven or eight years since the last time I rode. The soreness seems to be in the "sit bones" themselves. My new bike's frame seems to be the correct size. My saddle seems to be the correct height. I'll need to pay more attention to how I am sitting in the saddle, for one. There was only a hint of that soreness after the first day I noticed it much more after yesterday's ride, which was on a rail trail that had a number of rocky and rough spots.

My tires are 38cc's - fairly wide. I'll see about the air pressure and see if adjusting that helps. Since I had just bought the bike two days ago, I haven't even checked the air pressure yet. I'm willing to sacrifice a little speed for a cushier ride.

I had never used any kind of cushioning when I rode before, but I also weighed about 15 pounds more then. (More natural cushioning?)

In any case, I'll start with monitoring my position on the saddle and with checking the air pressure, and see if that helps. If not, then I may need a different saddle.

You've given me some good ideas as to how to approach this. Thanks!
Old 07-13-17, 05:22 AM
downeaster59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as Acadia goes, the time from late June through Labor Day is too crowded for me. May and early June can be great. In May, there is a greater risk of hitting a stretch of cool, foggy, drizzly weather along the Maine coast. However, if you're lucky and get a nice stretch in May, it can be great, too.

The carriage roads open for business after "mud season" ends, usually in late April. The carriage roads are, by far, my favorite place to ride. Hybrid bikes are great on those surfaces. You get plenty of hills for exercise, and some great scenery. (One recommendation: start on the northern end of the carriage road system, ride to Jordan Pond House, stop for tea and popovers, then ride back. You'll get almost twenty miles of riding, and the popovers are a treat!)

Most of the seasonal businesses in the Bar Harbor area start to open in May. Most everything is open through early October, at least. Some businesses stay open year-round. (Great snowshoeing on the carriage roads, too!)

September and October are, for me, the best months for biking the carriage roads. Things aren't too crowded. The weather is often very nice, with warm days and cool nights. By early October, you get the foliage colors, too. Even early November can be good, since autumn weather in Maine is warmer than it used to be, but most seasonal businesses are closed by then. There are several bike shops that rent bikes, so you have lots of options. The folks in those shops are very helpful as to pointing out where to ride, based on your preferences.
Old 07-13-17, 06:22 AM
hokiefyd 

My tires are 38cc's - fairly wide. I'll see about the air pressure and see if adjusting that helps. Since I had just bought the bike two days ago, I haven't even checked the air pressure yet. I'm willing to sacrifice a little speed for a cushier ride.
I'm 235 pounds and one of my bikes has 35mm tires on it and I ride 40 psi in the front and 60 psi in the rear. They have a fair bit of sag when I get on the bike, but it's fairly comfortable.

Another one of my bikes has 42mm tires on it and I ride 30/50 psi on that one.

Keep deflating until you feel that you find your ideal balance between comfort and efficiency.
Old 07-13-17, 07:14 AM
downeaster59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I'm 235 pounds and one of my bikes has 35mm tires on it and I ride 40 psi in the front and 60 psi in the rear. They have a fair bit of sag when I get on the bike, but it's fairly comfortable.

Another one of my bikes has 42mm tires on it and I ride 30/50 psi on that one.

Keep deflating until you feel that you find your ideal balance between comfort and efficiency.
Thanks! I'll experiment with the tire pressures and see what seems to be the best balance. Maybe also a gel pad for the saddle in the meantime. It's a rainy day here today, so my next ride might wait till tomorrow.
Old 07-13-17, 08:03 AM
BiciMan

As far as Acadia goes, the time from late June through Labor Day is too crowded for me. May and early June can be great. In May, there is a greater risk of hitting a stretch of cool, foggy, drizzly weather along the Maine coast. However, if you're lucky and get a nice stretch in May, it can be great, too.

The carriage roads open for business after "mud season" ends, usually in late April. The carriage roads are, by far, my favorite place to ride. Hybrid bikes are great on those surfaces. You get plenty of hills for exercise, and some great scenery. (One recommendation: start on the northern end of the carriage road system, ride to Jordan Pond House, stop for tea and popovers, then ride back. You'll get almost twenty miles of riding, and the popovers are a treat!)

Most of the seasonal businesses in the Bar Harbor area start to open in May. Most everything is open through early October, at least. Some businesses stay open year-round. (Great snowshoeing on the carriage roads, too!)

September and October are, for me, the best months for biking the carriage roads. Things aren't too crowded. The weather is often very nice, with warm days and cool nights. By early October, you get the foliage colors, too. Even early November can be good, since autumn weather in Maine is warmer than it used to be, but most seasonal businesses are closed by then. There are several bike shops that rent bikes, so you have lots of options. The folks in those shops are very helpful as to pointing out where to ride, based on your preferences.
Great, thank you very much: instructive and further inspiration. I'll be driving, and with a bike in the Allroad as usual.